CBD/SoBro/RutledgeHill/Rolling Mill Hill Projects

Perhaps it's something else? :dontknow: I'm not exactly sure where the Holiday Inn site begins and ends. I just know it's near 4th and Peabody off KVB. I snapped this practically right across from The Rutledge and the Mexican restaurant when I noticed what appeared to be core drilling. Think the one story building that was behind the pole here was also torn down recently so something is going on.

Yeah...it's hard to know exactly where the Holiday Inn property ends and the KVB side (that allows more height) starts.  I know the Holiday Inn property starts up at Peabody.  I guess it could go all the way down to The Rutledge.  :dontknow:

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a good shot of the downtown core today.   

Somewhat strange looking condo project featured in today's Nashville Post by William:  https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/residential-real-estate/article/21143024/fall-start-eyed-for-p

Posted Images

A little bird just emailed me that 8th Ave (Rosa Parks) is getting a hotel built between The Westview (my building) and The Standard Club and Restaurant. Still trying to get more details. Ron do you have more info on this?

The property is two building that span the block between 8th and 9th. The property is currently owned/occupied by Walter Nipper's Sporting Goods (169 Rosa L Parks Blvd

Nashville, TN 37203). Also, FWIW this is a total tear-down and new build not a rehab.

Edited by Guest

A little bird just emailed me that 8th Ave (Rosa Parks) is getting a hotel built between The Westview (my building) and The Standard Club and Restaurant. Still trying to get more details. Ron do you have more info on this?

The property is two building that span the block between 8th and 9th. The property is currently owned/occupied by Walter Nipper's Sporting Goods (169 Rosa L Parks Blvd

Nashville, TN 37203). Also, FWIW this is a total tear-down and new build not a rehab.

It's always been foremost in my mind that the stalwart Walter Nipper's Nashville Sporting Goods would have it's curtain call from that site.  My hat off to Nipper's (and my shoes, too).  Just like Claude P. Street Pianol, another DT bastion of bygone times, bowed out from across the Rosa Parks Blvd. quite some time ago.  I guess one can say, this is the "other shoe" that falls.

That's going to make The Westview look right skinny and deep, for the time being, until they "refill" both flanks to the north and south.  Last time I went to Nippers's was around 2001, to get some softball cleats.  It's always been a treat to go inside, often entertaining and amusing because of the grit and clutter from all the wares and custom team uniforms, housed in a tacky, run-down structure that transcended time from several generations past.

-==-

The guy that runs Nippers has always ben rude and downright mean. He won't tell you anything. I asked him a few years ago about Josh Smith and all the improvements he made on 8th, and all he did was insult and say mean and nasty things about Josh. Very unprofessional and pitiful.

Would not give that guy the time of day.

P747 is correct about the proprietors of the sporting goods shop. They are an anachronism straight out of a 1960s documentary of Nashville... old school, good- ole- boy, chain-smoking, crusty-country...not that there is anything wrong with that.

If this outline does show the location of the proposed Holiday Inn, then the specific site would be same general area that ariesjow pictured, with the core-drilling gantry shown in the easternmost half of that same block, even though the field of view from that vantage point does not specifically show the southeast border at Peabody.  That curbside timber NES pole (in ariesjow's pic) is about at the halfway point of that block between Peabody and KVB, so the gantry shown is probably being staged for initial earth-boring sampling, as close to the southeastern quadrant as practical for the project.  Have no real idea of what might actually go at the northeastern quad of that block, or its ownership (but I'm certain some of those posting here must know).

-==-

• Like 1

If that is indeed the site, then I must agree that the height restrictions are outdated and should be revised given the area's current quick evolution. I also hope that some colorful materials are added to the Holiday Inn design like the new Spring Hills Suites on West End. I'm not expecting an extremely eye-catching design from a budget hotel, but a little color to liven it up more than recent nearby hotels like the Hyatt Place or Fairfield Inn would be a nice touch. 

• Like 1

I'm very excited about this project.

Heck, I'm excited about *any* new hotel project near the CBD. The fact that they're rehabilitating and restoring a historic building is just icing on the cake.  If the recent NRA convention showed us anything, it's that the hotel market in town is very vibrant and no where near capacity. When Knights Inn feels like it can charge $250+ for a room, then there's no reason there aren't hundreds more rooms in the area.

• Like 2

Cocktail bar slated for SoBro

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/04/cocktail-bar-slated-for-sobro.html

This is kind of in a "dead area"...so this should help. I googled mapped it and there is a Subway next door. Kind of strange to have a subway in that area.

Whoa, I had no idea there was a Subway there. Weird.

Could be a cool space for a tucked away cocktail bar. Lends itself to a speakeasy vibe. I just hope they don't overdo it like so many places do.

Whoa, I had no idea there was a Subway there. Weird.

Could be a cool space for a tucked away cocktail bar. Lends itself to a speakeasy vibe. I just hope they don't overdo it like so many places do.

And it's just down the street (5th) from a tucked away brewery.    Czann's sits at the corner of 5th and Lea, although there's no signage so you have to know it's there!    

This 2 or 3 block area in SoBro is about the most "nowhere" spot in downtown, with virtually no vehicle or foot traffic - today.    That's almost certain to change in the next few years.     

Core drilling seems to be underway on the likely Canopy Hotel site across from the Omni.

Well, that is not the Hilton site. Be very very quiet fora few days till we can check. I know who's proponent this is and could very well be something new.

• Like 3