Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

For what it's worth, the feedback was surprisingly positive on the East Nash Facebook group, and that group is almost 100% anti-development. The consensus was  this was a good area for this type of structure...contrasted to the 3 story building right next to Bongo Java, which seems to overpower the space, the building on Main St is a perfect spot for something like this. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, root_ARCH said:

That image didn't have our permission to be posted. Here's an image of what could be built on that site today.

Yeah, no worries, removed it. Looking forward to updated render, good luck with this project. Put a bike rack somewhere!

15 hours ago, root_ARCH said:

That image didn't have our permission to be posted. Here's an image of what could be built on that site today.

ForrestNmain_massing_00.jpg

The image doesn't seem to be loading.  Good luck on this project; excited to see some higher density development on that site.  Now if someone will just do something with the old Mrs. Winner's site.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AronG said:

Meeting last night on the forrest & main thing was kind of a mess. People are so knee-jerk negative, it baffles me. There's like a default slide towards the thing degrading into a mob. Reminds me of parks & rec. The developer/rootarch guys laid it out as he described above - option A is they pursue their by-rights option of basically filling the entire footprint with 3 stories. Option B, if anyone is interested, is to occupy a smaller footprint with a taller design, which would give them more freedom to incorporate feedback and amenities at the ground level. Their parking plan is to go underground, along with a 20-something surface lot.

Instead of constructively engaging on any of these details, at least half of the "questions" were along the lines of "why don't you just build something very small instead?" :tw_astonished:

I get that there's a total debate to be had here. There are nice, well-meaning people who strongly believe that we have to match the scale of the existing one-story buildings or the neighborhood is going to lose its charm. Instead of earnestly making that case, 90% of the meeting just turns into people peppering the guy with sarcastic, angry questions, with a small contingent of constructive people barely keeping the thing from running away. It's depressing, and it makes you wonder how anything ever gets built.

I have no idea why it has to be this way. Building massing aside, surely we all agree that having more foot traffic in the 5 points area makes the place even better? Having 20 apartments or whatever it was would provide built-in customers for the local businesses that *don't have to drive*. And why are people so obsessed with parking? I wish they would provide the minimal amount of parking, which encourages more people to walk and bike, and discourages people from driving in from outside the area i.e. lessens traffic.

Thank you very much for the summary Aron. My personal opinion is the concept of the 'tall skinny' has become so pervasive and negative in the lexicon of the average East Nashvillian, whether new here or grew up here...that in this day and age we (they) incorporate LITERALLY any East Nash development negatively. We have associated 'development' with 'negativity'. Almost like instead of a presumption of innocence, a development starts with a presumption of guilt and has to prove otherwise. Yes, even though 'tall skinnies' are residential, this groupthink lumps in commercial development into this mindset. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rootARCH said:

We were very encouraged that there were several "no's" in the room when we started and at the end of the night they turned into "yes's". It sounds like every business owner immediately around the site is now in favor of this concept? ( I might need to do some one on one conversations to confirm that) but we got a really nice call from the Eastside Smiles owner across the street and they love the idea that we are proposing. At the end of the night, the 5 spot guys were lobbying the angry(and very rude) neighbors who live 6-8 blocks down to get on board with the idea. WW is posting these pictures today so here they are. As of right now, the project will be reconsidered with the design team and we will go back to the drawing board to design a 3-story option that encompasses the site.

17323_02_170926_forWW.jpg

17323_03_170926_forWW.jpg

The two-story base is fine, but that... thing... sitting on top is like a turd in the punchbowl. If I were a neighbor, I wouldn't want to look at that either. Something classy should rise from the base.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very Cool, John. Sometimes we can be harsh on the board and its always great to see where the inspiration comes form in the designs. There are a number of folks here on the board that are very much traditionalist as far as architecture. The biggest issue most have on the board is the bland glass box that seems to be prevalent in out skyline. Many of which are uninspired.

I, like a number here hate the use of hardy board and pastel colors on the newer buildings and the non traditional brick colors that are being used as well.

For me color is just as important and materials. I cant stand the bug gut yellow on Peyton Stakes in Germantown and the light green mint color on the signage of the 222 building in SoBro. I just do not get colors that will have to be repainted  either because the time has taken its toll or the color and form is no longer in style. Thus I think a lot of the traditional looking building stand that test of time better than others.

Thanks for your input. I will be interested in what happens with this project.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, madisonman said:

I see madison bowling Alley is for sale.  What do you think is a good use of this property.  Is nashville ready for a Brooklyn bowl.

There is a Brooklyn Bowl being considered for SW corner of Middleton and Ewing in SoBro (directly south of City Winery).  Haven't heard much about it in at least 6 months, though.

Why doesn't someone just open it back up as a bowling alley?  Ever since the bowling alley closed near Broadmoor/Dickerson we haven't gone anywhere else as they're all way too far away.  A bowling alley on the Eastside would kill.

Also, if anyone gets a chance, drive over the Jefferson St bridge at night to catch a glimpse of Top Golf.  It's really cool when it's lit up and I didn't realize how close it was.

• Like 2