Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Jay Z LLC owners Jay Patel and Samir Zaveri (Dickson County hoteliers) have paid $6.25 million for a 3.77-acre industrial property on the East Bank from Goodwill Industries that was marketed as a redevelopment site.

The 3.77 acre site includes the 51 Oldham St. location of that nonprofit organization's transportation department. The property is just north of Nissan Stadium and a block south of the new Topgolf sports entertainment complex.

Under the sale-leaseback arrangement, Goodwill can remain at the property for 18 months. "It's a bright future on that side of the river, so it's just a good investment," Patel said, referring to the Cumberland River.

The rezoning policy is high-density mixed use, according to the sales brochure. "The East Bank is on a meteoric rise to becoming downtown Nashville's fastest growing neighborhood," Grout said, citing immediate access to Interstate 24 at Spring Street and good downtown Nashville skyline views among appeals of the site.

In March, Patel led the $3.5 million purchase of three-fifths of an acre at the northeast corner of Eighth Avenue South and Drexel Street in SoBro. He  is also leading an effort to convert Music Row's tallest building, United Artist Tower, into a boutique hotel.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/02/dickson-hoteliers-pay-goodwill-industries-6-25-m-east-bank-site/824272001/

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.41.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 8.41.27 AM.png

• Like 2

I would love to get some opinions on what you think about this guy in E. Nashville whose house partially burned.  A local musician has started a change.org petition because Metro Historic Zoning Commission is going to make the guy salvage a portion of the home that's left and return it to its original state instead of rebuilding the entire structure.  Here's some of what the petition says:

Because Todd’s home exists in a Historic Overlay, the Nashville Historic Commission has stepped in and required that he salvage and rehabilitate almost a third of the unstable, smoke- and water-damaged structure that is left.  However, he does not have the kind of money it would take to pay for the extensive cleaning and meticulous repairs required in order to “save” what remains.  Estimates given to rehabilitate those portions are fully $100k more than what he was given for his insurance settlement. 

What Todd can afford to do is take the home to the foundation and rebuild from there.  He proposes to replace the burned out house that exists today with an exact replica of the home as it has stood for nearly 100 years, down to the smallest detailing around the window frames.  The Overlay that the Commission seeks to enforce exists to prevent developers from bringing unwanted modern elements into the historic neighborhood; he has no intentions to put up a fast and cheap modern structure.  He is asking instead for the right to rebuild his home and his life to some semblance of what it once was

If, at their meeting on November 15th, the Historic Zoning Commission rules against Todd’s plans to rebuild a replica and demands that the front portion of the house be salvaged, he will be forced to abandon the reconstruction effort and sell his property.  Because his finances just won’t allow for him to comply with what they are asking, a Nashville icon may be forced out of his city.  Everything he worked his whole life for, the efforts he put into helping to build up his neighborhood and his community will have been for nothing.

https://www.change.org/p/nashville-metro-historic-zoning-commission-let-toddzilla-save-his-home/nftexp/ex16/v5/15938049?recruiter=15938049&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=ex16%3Av5%3Frecruiter%3D15938049&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.combo_new_control_progress_bar

9 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I would love to get some opinions on what you think about this guy in E. Nashville whose house partially burned.  A local musician has started a change.org petition because Metro Historic Zoning Commission is going to make the guy salvage a portion of the home that's left and return it to its original state instead of rebuilding the entire structure.  Here's some of what the petition says:

Because Todd’s home exists in a Historic Overlay, the Nashville Historic Commission has stepped in and required that he salvage and rehabilitate almost a third of the unstable, smoke- and water-damaged structure that is left.  However, he does not have the kind of money it would take to pay for the extensive cleaning and meticulous repairs required in order to “save” what remains.  Estimates given to rehabilitate those portions are fully $100k more than what he was given for his insurance settlement. 

What Todd can afford to do is take the home to the foundation and rebuild from there.  He proposes to replace the burned out house that exists today with an exact replica of the home as it has stood for nearly 100 years, down to the smallest detailing around the window frames.  The Overlay that the Commission seeks to enforce exists to prevent developers from bringing unwanted modern elements into the historic neighborhood; he has no intentions to put up a fast and cheap modern structure.  He is asking instead for the right to rebuild his home and his life to some semblance of what it once was

If, at their meeting on November 15th, the Historic Zoning Commission rules against Todd’s plans to rebuild a replica and demands that the front portion of the house be salvaged, he will be forced to abandon the reconstruction effort and sell his property.  Because his finances just won’t allow for him to comply with what they are asking, a Nashville icon may be forced out of his city.  Everything he worked his whole life for, the efforts he put into helping to build up his neighborhood and his community will have been for nothing.

https://www.change.org/p/nashville-metro-historic-zoning-commission-let-toddzilla-save-his-home/nftexp/ex16/v5/15938049?recruiter=15938049&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=ex16%3Av5%3Frecruiter%3D15938049&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.combo_new_control_progress_bar

I feel that is a pretty compelling argument for the historic commission to allow new construction. Although, I would say a high percentage of folks who are proposing construction projects in the historic overlay could produce some similarly compelling arguments, when you want something done and are financially incentivized to have it approved, you can manufacture some compelling talking points. But this seems 100% legit. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, titanhog said:

If you watch any of the MHZC meetings (they're posted on youtube, see example below. beware, they're long and boring.), they're very reasonable about listening to circumstances about demo requests, including cost estimates. One thing that becomes clear when they cross-examine somebody is that a lot of people are trying to exaggerate the circumstances so they can demolish and have a clean slate. Somebody has to make a judgement about which requests are just to make a buck and which ones are legitimately beyond saving, and they do a very reasonable job. If all the facts in that petition are true I would be amazed if they don't approve it.  If they do, I'm with @arkitekte, there's no point in him replicating the old structure.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I haven't seen the structure in person, but based on the documents submitted to staff, the criteria for economic hardship and the fact that the applicant hasn't provided even the most basic engineer's report noting that the structure is in structural disrepair, the staff is correct for not recommending approval of the demolition. 

The Commission could find this not to be the case, however. 

The house doesn't look that bad at all. 

One of Nashville’s largest megachurches wants to add an athletic complex with football, soccer, volleyball and baseball fields plus batting cages that will be open to the public at its Madison campus.

On Dec. 14, Cornerstone Church will go before the Metro Planning Commission seeking approval to incorporate the athletic fields into the campus. They will replace an assisted living facility, which the church no longer plans for 22 acres at the back of its sanctuary.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/09/mashville-megachurch-cornerstone-plans-athletic-complex-planned-cornerstone-churchs-madison-campusma/848685001/

Madison Bowl property (3.48 acres at 517 Gallatin Pike) has been sold for$2 million to Frank May.  It has been sitting empty for 5 years.  Might be a candidate for reimagining.  Story is behind the paywall:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20982313/madison-bowling-property-sells-for-2m

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 2.46.48 PM.png

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Madison Bowl property (3.48 acres at 517 Gallatin Pike) has been sold for$2 million to Frank May.  It has been sitting empty for 5 years.  Might be a candidate for reimagining.  Story is behind the paywall:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20982313/madison-bowling-property-sells-for-2m

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 2.46.48 PM.png

Oops! Sorry about that.....I meant to say he should sell it to the city who in turn should make it into a transit center/park and ride for commuter/light rail/express buses.

I'm a klutz on the computer.

3 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Oops! Sorry about that.....I meant to say he should sell it to the city who in turn should make it into a transit center/park and ride for commuter/light rail/express buses.

I'm a klutz on the computer.

I thought the plan was to turn the old Kmart by Briley and Gallatin Pike into that?

Someone bought the K Mart site a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to a person with Metro at the Transit Q & A and they don't even know that. Sometimes I really do not think Metro officials think things through. They should have gotten the option on the land first before advertising that is where they want to put a transit ctr.  It will cost them a whole lot more in the future.

12 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Someone bought the K Mart site a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to a person with Metro at the Transit Q & A and they don't even know that. Sometimes I really do not think Metro officials think things through. They should have gotten the option on the land first before advertising that is where they want to put a transit ctr.  It will cost them a whole lot more in the future.

Lol imagine that, a government official not having a clue about what is happening around them! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AronG said:

The building's cool but that giant tag line kinda stomps all over it. Looks like 20-foot-tall vapid pinterest wall art.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like an 18 year old college freshman’s dorm room. And what if what I love doing is throwing rocks at shallow sayings written on the side of buildings?! :rofl:

• Haha 1