Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

It's official: Bill Martin's Grocery on 1 acre at 1105 Fatherland St. has sold for $3.54 million to Glengarry Partners. No word yet on their plans.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21064259/east-side-grocery-property-sells-for-354m

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the sit highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 8.20.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 8.22.24 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FatherLand said:

Wow thanks SO MUCH for sharing. I'm becoming more and more excited about this, walk by it twice a day. I'll have to compare the current to the drawings but so far so good! 

Yes, it's a great project.  I count myself very fortunate to have this church structure and 819 Russell both undergoing renovation and reuse projects right now before the structures became too unstable to salvage.  

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, bwithers1 said:

Yes, it's a great project.  I count myself very fortunate to have this church structure and 819 Russell both undergoing renovation and reuse projects right now before the structures became too unstable to salvage.  

I wish we could add the church at Chapel and Greenwood to the list!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I wish we could add the church at Chapel and Greenwood to the list!

The owner has let us know that stabilization and roof repair work, etc, might start soon on the Hobson buildings.  The SP is complete at Council but the final site plan has not yet been submitted.  There may be some final work to do in that regard before that project fully comes back to life.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Monday May 13 10:00 am-groundbreaking for the new Donelson Branch Library.  I have not found a rendering for the new 25,000 square foot building that will be a component of the reimagined Donelson Plaza Shopping Center. This is a part of a multi phase project to create a transit oriented “downtown Donelson” and is across Lebanon Pike from the Donelson Station for the Music City Star.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

During my discussions about approving this site as the location for the DCSO headquarters I stipulated that I wanted the new structure to be built up to the street to frame the corner of South Fifth / Summer Place.  The plaza at the new jail works for that location downtown, but I wanted to activate South 5th as much as possible and to ensure that sidewalks were built along Summer Place so that when new development goes in across the street to the north Summer Place becomes part of a neighborhood street gateway to Envision Cayce rather than it's current character as an Interstate exit ramp and parking lot service access road.  I am pretty happy with these designs.  Having the DCSO emblem featured prominently on the Interstate side will help with wayfinding; but the South 5th Street side looks more like a regular office building.  I like the vertical divider that breaks up the massing.  And the Sheriff's actual office on the top floor should have good downtown views even if something is built on the PSC metals site someday.

Thanks for your work on this Brett. Agree that activating South 5th could be huge for that area, and I'm hoping somebody starts to see potential in those properties all the way down to Davidson, which could be a great corridor someday. One big impediment is that big mulch yard, which gets pretty rank in the summer. The new apartment buildings going up right behind there are going to get the full force of it. Have they every considered moving on? Is there some kind of ordinance around stinking up the surrounding area?

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, FatherLand said:

I also noticed the land to the left of that building was getting some excavation / civil work this week, where the bungalow-style house was a year ago, 

Some excavation?   I passed by there yesterday and the whole site of the old house had been totally cleared to dirt all the way to the alley.  One of the big problems with sites like this in Nashville is that owners fail to get proper permits, especially for tree removal.   I would like to know if this site clearing was properly permitted and what, if any, penalties would be applicable for removing its several mature trees?   Anyone have a copy of the specific code regulations are?   In many locations, the required landscaping for development is based on how many trees of a certain caliper are required to be replanted  based upon the diameter of the removed trees on site.   Too often, we get a building , lots of asphalt and crappy K-mart shrubbery.   I would think that in an old area with so much restoration and designated historic overlay, that this site should not have been so severely bulldozed.  Comments?

4 minutes ago, Baronakim said:

Some excavation?   I passed by there yesterday and the whole site of the old house had been totally cleared to dirt all the way to the alley.  One of the big problems with sites like this in Nashville is that owners fail to get proper permits, especially for tree removal.   I would like to know if this site clearing was properly permitted and what, if any, penalties would be applicable for removing its several mature trees?   Anyone have a copy of the specific code regulations are?   In many locations, the required landscaping for development is based on how many trees of a certain caliper are required to be replanted  based upon the diameter of the removed trees on site.   Too often, we get a building , lots of asphalt and crappy K-mart shrubbery.   I would think that in an old area with so much restoration and designated historic overlay, that this site should not have been so severely bulldozed.  Comments?

Yes, some excavation. I believe the house has been gone for 2 years or so. So they appeared to be performing additional clearing of a lot that had already been cleared. Perhaps you're mainly referring to tree removal, I cannot recall how many trees were there and might have been removed. 

5 minutes ago, FatherLand said:

Yes, some excavation. I believe the house has been gone for 2 years or so. So they appeared to be performing additional clearing of a lot that had already been cleared. Perhaps you're mainly referring to tree removal, I cannot recall how many trees were there and might have been removed. 

There were 3 or 4 hackberry's on the site.  

image.thumb.png.f4662fd7126aee66d2c3ec309ce46779.png

7 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

There were 3 or 4 hackberry's on the site.  

image.thumb.png.f4662fd7126aee66d2c3ec309ce46779.png

Yes, as to species I was not sure, but most of the time I was viewing from the alley side on my way to the Turnip Truck parking area behind the store.  The view was obscured by a deteriorated wood fence and scrubby undergrowth but the trees on the sideyard property line did provide some visual relief and welcome shade for the surface parking adjacent.   While hackberries are not at all majestic landscape trees, if the tree ordinance in fact applies here, it is irrelevant as to the species if the tree is mature and reasonably healthy.  And hackberries are indeed native species.  Preclearing such as this is often done before submitting for permits as it is a dodge to avoid being required to plant more trees than owners may prefer due to tree code provisions.   I don't have any idea if this is what is going on here at this specific site, but the trees were appreciated green visually shielding the alley from street view.  I hope the site will eventually be developed attractively.

• Like 1

It has always bothered me that the Metro tree ordinance requires trees be preserved, or if removed, new trees planted. The ordinance does not require that any effort be made to keep the trees alive, apparently. I’ve seen many a newly planted tree perish at the first hint of drought, never to be replaced!

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, AronG said:

Thanks for your work on this Brett. Agree that activating South 5th could be huge for that area, and I'm hoping somebody starts to see potential in those properties all the way down to Davidson, which could be a great corridor someday. One big impediment is that big mulch yard, which gets pretty rank in the summer. The new apartment buildings going up right behind there are going to get the full force of it. Have they every considered moving on? Is there some kind of ordinance around stinking up the surrounding area?

You are correct that in addition to the visual element, the mulch yard operation disperses airborne particles throughout the area that can be a breathing hazard for some, and the trucks that haul away the mulch often do not cover it with tarp and so there are frequently trails of mulch left at 5th/Shelby, which then make their way into the storm drains, etc.  It is a mess beyond aesthetics.

There are no Metro ordinances keeping any of the industrial operations on South 5th, although most of South 5th has Industrial Restrictive zoning.  In this case, the mulch yard owner is asking considerably more for that property than anyone currently is willing to pay.  At the present time there are no public projects proposed there for which eminent domain would be utilized.  But this one has been on my radar screen for some time.

• Thanks 3

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:47 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Has it become standard practice in residential real estate to market homes in the far ends of Inglewood as being “in the heart of East Nashville?” Asking for a friend. :tw_grimace:

Well it is the heart of East Nashville if you use Briley and I24 as the boundaries.:tw_tounge_xd:

• Haha 2