Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

ZMX has landed another $4,8 million permit for the ongoing construction of their 4 story, 71 unit condo project at 1041 E. Trinity Lane.  An early 2020 completion is still planned.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/22/warren-buffett-owned-housing-company-creating-110.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 8.10.29 AM.png

This definitely has the opportunity to be a great statement piece along this strip. I wish it had a little more communication to the other new development to its immediate west. While I am not a fan of that design having a consistency down this stretch goes a long way to a beautiful and consistent streetscape. This render places the building up closer to Oakwood where the other brick / brownstone style buildings were recently completed.

Edited by Bos2Nash
last sentence added
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

The foundation permit for the LaQuinta Hotel on Interstate Drive was finally issued last week on 04/18.  This will be an 11-story building when completed and it will have good visibility from the I-24 loop.

Here's hoping this is the first of other developments between 5th St and the river to reconnect east nashville to downtown. I bike down Woodland sometimes and there's so much potential to make it a nice human-friendly route from 5 points to downtown, but this stretch is (A) a wasteland, and (B) somewhat terrifying on a bike because people speed through boring areas.

• Like 3

There is no historic zoning in place on Main Street other than the Conservation Overlay on the block of Main Street from 10th to Forrest where Marche is located, and that block is also located within the MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District.  This parcel that you are referencing is located in the MDHA East Bank Redevelopment District through which new project materials, massing, landscaping and signage are evaluated by the Design Review Committee.
I did ask Metro Water Services to go check out that site.  It appears that none of the clearing work requires a grading permit as mainly brush and debris were being removed.  If excavation or other activities occur, then permits will be required. 
I would anticipate that for a large project, a lot consolidation would be needed since the former labor hall sits on one parcel and this cleared area sits on two parcels.  Even though they all have the same ownership today, I would imagine that a potential developer would want all of the parcels to be consolidated into one.  I would love to see another Stacks on Main-type project there.  Until the retail/restaurant spaces that already exist on Main prove their footing, I am not sure that adding more ground-level retail is going to be supported by the market just yet.  We need more housing units on Main to support those retail spaces with a built-in customer base and to counterbalance some of the unfortunate social and Metro service request issues related to homelessness that continue to manifest themselves in the 5th/Main area.
For the moment I am still hearing that the market is not supporting the cost to demolish old cinderblock warehouses in order to construct multistory new-construction projects.  That is why there are so many adaptive reuses right now.  Almost everything that has been built from scratch to date on Main or Woodland Street has been on formerly vacant land or surface parking lots.  The market in East is hot but isn't quite as heated as one might imagine, Trinity Lane notwithstanding.  Hill Center Greenwood is also a bit of an outlier because the company has owned most or all of that land for generations.  But I am working to support interest in projects on Main and Woodland to connect the streetscape between downtown and East Nashville.

I know there’s history, but boy would bike lanes on Woodland be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 4/24/2019 at 11:59 AM, TnNative said:

This was Riverside Village yesterday around 5pm. 

20190423_172832.jpg

Need a little help here. The first proposal to replace this row of shops was killed. Was the second proposal also killed and then the developer decided to proceed with what's allowed under current zoning? So has a rendering been released? 

And that's the old Fond Object building, right?

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Need a little help here. The first proposal to replace this row of shops was killed. Was the second proposal also killed and then the developer decided to proceed with what's allowed under current zoning? So has a rendering been released? 

And that's the old Fond Object building, right?

Correct, that is the Fond Object building. The neighborhood petition killed the development that called for a renovation of the existing building, relocating Fond Object into the existing building just to the west along with high density micro apartments. The initial proposal was attempting to go with an SP zoning that included a community benefits agreement and no STRs. When the neighborhood petition shot down the proposal, the developer said he will raze the existing building and build within the current zoning which will be up to 4 stories with the 4th floor being stepped back from the main facade.

As of mid-afternoon yesterday...

981754083_FondObjectPano.jpg.a4d2687a3a8521576c8fe9290f491658.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Status Donuts, a Knoxville-based donut shop and cafe, will open soon at 921 Gallatin Ave.  Currently the 5,200 sq. ft. space is occupied by Mister Hats. Knoxville-based R2R Studio will handle the redesign of the interior space, according to a Metro document.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21065889/donut-shop-slated-for-east-nashville

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.40.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.41.47 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thats what the residents get when they truly do not understand what a developer can do by rights is many times worse than what would have happened or in this case happening. 

This was such a frustrating process to watch. People are so cynical and completely convinced that the developer was incapable of doing anything but screwing them. There seemed to be a lot of people just wanting to ensure that the developer didn’t get what he wanted - and now I think we are getting something that only 1 guy in the neighborhood wanted due to his dedication to current zoning.

Good grief....how many donut shops do we need? It’s like they are the new hair worlds.

3 doughnut shops and I am still going to drive to Madison for McGaugh’s

• Like 4

The second phase of Village Green is being launched. When complete, the mixed-use neighborhood, located on Hadley Avenue, will have 47 single-family homes, about 5,000 square feet of commercial space and five apartments as well as a half-acre park. 

has   https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/homes/2019/04/25/real-estate-village-green-old-hickory-launches-second-phase/3555914002/

Village Green website:

https://www.villagegreenoh.com/

Village Green, Old Hickory, April 27, 2019, site map 2.png

Village Green, Old Hickory, April 27, 2019, site map 1.png

Village Green, Old Hickory, April 27, 2019.png

• Like 4

Ever since I was a map obsessed kid (there's a phrase you dom't hear everyday lol) I was fascinated by the tight traditional street grid found seemingly randomly in Old Hickory amidst some of the sprawliest sprawl that ever did sprawl.  Does anyone have any history on that by chance?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Ever since I was a map obsessed kid (there's a phrase you dom't hear everyday lol) I was fascinated by the tight traditional street grid found seemingly randomly in Old Hickory amidst some of the sprawliest sprawl that ever did sprawl.  Does anyone have any history on that by chance?

Old Hickory is a “company town” for the DuPont plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Hickory,_Tennessee

Edited by donNdonelson2
Additional information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, BnaBreaker said:

I feel you on that.  I grew up obsessing over maps - I had a WWII map satchel that I found at a surplus store, and I filled it with maps from everywhere my family went.  I also grew up just down the road from Old Hickory in Hermitage, and Don's post is accurate.  Company town.  Here's more info:
http://www.oldhickory.org/aboutvillage.html

I took my love of maps a step further, and now have a career in GIS!

• Like 3

On 4/25/2019 at 3:29 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Thats what the residents get when they truly do not understand what a developer can do by rights is many times worse than what would have happened or in this case happening. 

Yep. The petitioners were convinced that if they got the SP denied the developer would just walk away. Asinine.

• Like 2

The people in this city need to realize that developers just dont walk away anymore. They come back with another plan and if that does not work, then another plan until they get one approved. I have watched this stuff happening through the Development tracker and Planning dept.

Now some of the developers just do not have the deep pockets to get some of these things done or they are just too ambitious, but many times they happen, it just takes time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1