Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The Riverside Village situation was a bit more complex than just ‘the petitioners got what they deserved’. They basically threw away having any say in the McGavock frontage to get their way on the other 4 lots involved that are on Riverside (that needed the UpZone approval).  So they achieved enforcement of  a lower density for those lots instead of the apartment complex that was included in the SP.  

I just think it was a shame a compromise couldn’t be reached.  Seemed they were getting fairly close towards the end. The developer certainly made lots of concessions towards a compromise. Oh well!  Can’t wait to be able to get 14 flavors of frozen yogurt and visit the Capital one Bank that will probably occupy the ground floor of this new place. 

22 minutes ago, DJIII said:

The Riverside Village situation was a bit more complex than just ‘the petitioners got what they deserved’. They basically threw away having any say in the McGavock frontage to get their way on the other 4 lots involved that are on Riverside (that needed the UpZone approval).  So they achieved enforcement of  a lower density for those lots instead of the apartment complex that was included in the SP.  

I just think it was a shame a compromise couldn’t be reached.  Seemed they were getting fairly close towards the end. The developer certainly made lots of concessions towards a compromise. Oh well!  Can’t wait to be able to get 14 flavors of frozen yogurt and visit the Capital one Bank that will probably occupy the ground floor of this new place. 

Yeah that was the outcome, but I don't think there were a lot of people that were consciously making that tradeoff (correct me if I'm wrong). Especially with the celebrity involvement and the high emotions on the last round. The people I know that were against it were like raging against development and change. Which I understand - FO was cool. The angst around losing it certainly didn't lead to much rational thought about what density people wanted where.

I wonder how it would've played out if they'd just gone ahead and done the demo first, waited about a year, then started the conversation about what to put there. 

• Like 1

Yeah that was the outcome, but I don't think there were a lot of people that were consciously making that tradeoff (correct me if I'm wrong). Especially with the celebrity involvement and the high emotions on the last round. The people I know that were against it were like raging against development and change. Which I understand - FO was cool. The angst around losing it certainly didn't lead to much rational thought about what density people wanted where.
I wonder how it would've played out if they'd just gone ahead and done the demo first, waited about a year, then started the conversation about what to put there. 

I agree. I’d wager there are lots of petition signers shocked with this outcome. My neighbor had a signature gatherer come to his door and claiming they were saving Fond Object. He knew better but there was no convincing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I agree, AronG. Wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision per se. I don’t think they fully acknowledged their lack of leverage. I was at the last 2 meetings and I’d say those against tended to look at what is now happening as a ‘bluff tactic’.  Maybe thought they could eventually frustrate the developer into completely abandoning the project. I don’t have any Schadenfreude in the situation but their gamble definitely backfired, because saving the FO building was absolutely on the table. I also don’t think it has to be looked at as a disaster. There’s at least a 50/50 chance we get a few fun/useful  shops out of it.

• Like 3

I agree, AronG. Wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision per se. I don’t think they fully acknowledged their lack of leverage. I was at the last 2 meetings and I’d say those against tended to look at what is now happening as a ‘bluff tactic’.  Maybe thought they could eventually frustrate the developer into completely abandoning the project. I don’t have any Schadenfreude in the situation but their gamble definitely backfired, because saving the FO building was absolutely on the table. I also don’t think it has to be looked at as a disaster. There’s at least a 50/50 chance we get a few fun/useful  shops out of it.

I think the residential will be the big loss. Plus he had agreed to build a bus stop, extend the sidewalk further than required, and provide green space.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DJIII said:

I dunno, my impression was always that the hard reality was that FO in it's current form wasn't going to survive this project if it happened. On some level I guess I agree with the mob on that one. It just wasn't a big revenue generator, and the back yard and the old house back there were key to the vibe, but they took up a lot of valuable space.

Personally, I don't look at this outcome as a disaster at all, although I do wish they could've followed through with those micro residential units. All the struggling musicians are moving to Madison because all the cheap apartments are disappearing. And it's preposterous that we have so few areas with semi-dense townhome-style development on the east side.

• Like 2

I dunno, my impression was always that the hard reality was that FO in it's current form wasn't going to survive this project if it happened. On some level I guess I agree with the mob on that one. It just wasn't a big revenue generator, and the back yard and the old house back there were key to the vibe, but they took up a lot of valuable space.
Personally, I don't look at this outcome as a disaster at all, although I do wish they could've followed through with those micro residential units. All the struggling musicians are moving to Madison because all the cheap apartments are disappearing. And it's preposterous that we have so few areas with semi-dense townhome-style development on the east side.

Speaking of things that would be great on the East side — tri/fourplexs. They would fit in better than so much of the stuff being built and provide more, cheaper housing.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DJIII said:

Are you sure there will be ground floor retail?  My concern is we'll get one of those hideous Trinity Lane complexes with no retail component, which would be a shame in the heart of the "village". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, etimer13 said:

Are you sure there will be ground floor retail?  My concern is we'll get one of those hideous Trinity Lane complexes with no retail component, which would be a shame in the heart of the "village". 

Ditto. Have the same concern. Even worse, Bridal Suites AirBnB anyone?

Bridal_main.589a3414c5816.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone know if retail must be a component?

RE: Riverside Village.  I don't think retail is required per se.  But you can get a much larger rent out of a store front than just a door with another apartment behind it. And it is zoned for businesses.   Since it is being built 'By-Right' they don't have to release public renderings as they would have with an SP,  so nobody really knows quite yet what it will look like.  My best guess using logic and clues is it will have 3-5 small shop spaces in the bottom floor and the upper floors (2 thru 4) will be apartments.   @AronG Yes, FO the store was never going to be saved, I was referring to the 'FO Building', itself; which the entire strip from the barber shop to FO, started to be referred to for ease of discussion at the meetings.  It was to become the cycle shop and restaurant combo under the proposed SP.  I'm not trying to re-litigate the details of what happened and it's difficult to talk on a message board so let's close this back & forth.  Happy to chat on Facebook about it if you're interested or at the Meet-up May 4th.  Also I agree with your comment on need for density here to allow diff kinds of housing to accommodate people and slow down the musicians fleeing to Madison.

@Gracie Agree with your comments on the loss of housing re: Micro-units, green-space, bus-stop, extended sidewalks.

Edited by DJIII
  • Like 4

I'm considering buying some property in Hermitage/Donelson for rental purposes and came across this in the MLS. Address is 3647 Central Pike, near the Medical Center. I'm really looking for a single family dwelling, but tried to find out more about this. It's not the best looking, but not ugly either. Most importanly it will bring density to a major commercial corridor. Looks like around 17 units which are 'preselling' now. Anyone have status on this? Didn't see this on the Development Map.  

1?signature=jnKQJJtHaBwfuOpsGPYRRoh4XRdTQ48cceCTsk0aek2!X&highRes=True

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Edgefield D said:

Looks like the permit has been pulled for restaurant (Hawkers) that's going in to the old Family Wash spot on Main.

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/3665392?page=204&searchText=main st&searchCode=ADDR&searchType=permit&orderBy=permitNumber ASC

Here is the story from the Post from Jan. https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21040497/family-wash-building-lands-asian-restaurant

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I'm considering buying some property in Hermitage/Donelson for rental purposes and came across this in the MLS. Address is 3647 Central Pike, near the Medical Center. I'm really looking for a single family dwelling, but tried to find out more about this. It's not the best looking, but not ugly either. Most importanly it will bring density to a major commercial corridor. Looks like around 17 units which are 'preselling' now. Anyone have status on this? Didn't see this on the Development Map.  

Found this website from a reverse image search: https://6teenoncentral.com/

Also, I drive by here somewhat frequently. as of a couple a weeks ago, they had not broken ground. 

• Thanks 1

More on the Riverchase proposal...

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/residential-real-estate/article/21067259/east-side-site-could-land-largescale-development

Austin-based Riverchase has been involved in the Dickerson Road development study. 

Will go before Metro Planning to request a zoning change to Specific Planned Mixed Use on June 13.

Three parcels totaling 14.4 acres would require demolition of 60 residential units, several of which are Section 8 designated. 

Appears to be first venture in Nashville for Riverchase. No portfolio was referenced in the article.

• Like 3

The iFly Nashville indoor skydiving attraction has been cancelled for 100 Spring St. (NE corner of Spring and Cowan St., across from TopGolf. 

One would think that long-term, something much more significant could go on that site at that prime intersection anyway.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/03/east-bank-indoor-skydiving-plans-fall-flat.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 4