Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

15 hours ago, 37206dude said:

So I got a notice that apparently one of my neighbors (near 5 points) is applying to construct a single family house without building sidewalks or paying into the sidewalk fund (124 S 12th St, permit #20190018835).

I think that there is already a sidewalk.  How does this work?  Are they supposed to build a new one?

It depends from my understanding. If you build a new building or add 25% onto a existing structure, you are required to replace the sidewalk if one exist or if there is not one build one depending on what the plan  is for the neighborhood.  I still get confused by all of this and Metro has made a mess of this, especially in the Nations. If you want to get a variance, you have to go in front of the BZA to appeal your case.

In the Nations Metro has screwed the pouch allowing a hodgepodge of sidewalks , variances, set backs, screwed up 0 lot lines. On Hwy 12 there are instances of sidewalks to nowhere that run 100 feet in the middle of nowhere and end.

I can go on all day about how screwed up the way Metro handles things, but would be wasted energy, but I think that answered your question, yes they are required to build a new one, when a perfectly good one exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 37206dude said:

So I got a notice that apparently one of my neighbors (near 5 points) is applying to construct a single family house without building sidewalks or paying into the sidewalk fund (124 S 12th St, permit #20190018835).

I think that there is already a sidewalk.  How does this work?  Are they supposed to build a new one?

There's a lot of murkiness to the sidewalk ordinance.  From talking with a council rep, it is in need of revision as there are a few unforseen loopholes  & gray area that popped up since it was passed.  However, it has collected $3M for the dedicated sidewalk fund, so by that measure, it has been a success.  I do not believe that the Zoning board is in the business of asking people to rip up perfectly good sidewalks and move them 2 feet back.  I think that is a CHOICE the builder has, especially if they just want to run their bulldozers over the existing sidewalks in the course of building and not worry about the damage done to those sidewalks.  I think a major issue is every new build is filling out a variance request as kind of a scratch-off lotto ticket because the rule is so unclear that you may just get lucky & get a variance and save $5,000 on your build.  in my area I just saw a lot get a 'variance' that required them to pay into the fund, and leave the existing sidewalks.  We should not be wasting taxpayer dollars on those situations.  That should just be a standard choice IMO.  If there are sidewalks in good condition you should just get to leave them (& pay the standard fee into the fund), without any applying for a variance.   But there's a lot of 'In my opinion' and 'i'm not sure' in there so it's not terribly valuable info.  But it is my best try at understanding the current situation.  

Edited by DJIII
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2019 at 7:55 AM, smeagolsfree said:

In the Nations Metro has screwed the pouch allowing a hodgepodge of sidewalks , variances, set backs, screwed up 0 lot lines.

I've seen one in the Nations where (presumably to avoid taking down a large old tree) the sidewalks are set back maybe 10 ft from the street. But they go all the way to the lot lines, so if the neighbors ever want or need to put in sidewalks it will be a mess to get them linked up.

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, 37206dude said:

@37206dude That notice was so screwed up that the item is being deferred so that a correct (or correct) notice can be sent.  Apparently the notice referenced an office building and Council District 17, rather than a single-family home in District 6. 

This is almost certainly the double-lot at the corner of 12th/Russell in East End where a single-family home design has already been approved by the Metro Historic Zoning Commission https://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2018 Meetings/06-20-18/SR 124 South 12th Street.pdf. 

What typically happens for corner lots is that the Sidewalk Bill requirements are only applied to the front side of the parcel, not the sides.  In Conservation Overlays, the Metro Historic Zoning Commission typically sends a letter supporting keeping the existing sidewalk pattern in place, which ultimately results in applicants not constructing new sidewalks or contributing to the in-lieu fee.  

But it all depends.  There is a house on South 10th Street in East End's Conservation Overlay area that was demolished and is being replaced by a two-family dwelling.  This is a different situation than an infill project between a number of contributing structures that are unlikely to be redeveloped unless there is a fire, etc. 

The variance that I supported there was to maintain the existing planting strip along S 10th (which does not meet Collector Street standards) but to widen the sidewalk itself to Collector Street standards.  Under this scenario, if followed, if/when the other non-contributing houses on S 10th are redeveloped a similar pattern could be followed so that the existing 2' planting strip would remain but that an 8' sidewalk would be constructed along each parcel frontage until ultimately the sidewalk from Shelby to Fatherland would be widened to support additional pedestrian activity and safety.  

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Up-Down, a popular arcade bar in some midwest cities, has been approved by MDHA Design Review Committee to adaptively reuse the structure at 927 Woodland St.

It has been named one of The 10 Best Arcade Bars in America by Game Informer. Up-Down is a 21-and-older arcade bar featuring games from the '80s and '90s, pinball machines, skeeball alleys, Nintendo 64 console gaming and more, according to its website.

The games costs “just 25 cents,” while the menu boasts an “extensive craft beer selection” and “house-made pizza by the slice with unique toppings.”

More at NBJ here, including a slide show of interior of one of their locations in Milwaukee:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/21/popular-arcade-bar-coming-to-five-points.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 2.11.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 2.11.50 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

What typically happens for corner lots is that the Sidewalk Bill requirements are only applied to the front side of the parcel, not the sides. 

Is there a good reason for this? It seems like it's sacrificing a lot of sidewalk feet that would otherwise get built.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GregH said:

Is there a good reason for this? It seems like it's sacrificing a lot of sidewalk feet that would otherwise get built.

Yes, maybe.  It's an equity issue:  constructing houses on corner lots would be considerably more expensive than on mid-block parcels if this approach were not taken.  At least it's a consistent approach. 

There have been CMs who have taken approaches that are much less consistent, or that involve upzoning properties from RS to RM20 and then also asking the BZA to exempt the development from any sidewalk construction or in-lieu contribution requirements ...

• Like 1