Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, billgregg55 said:

I'll re-ask this seemingly unanswered question from April, something I've wondered many times. The development seems like a smashing success, to the point that I wondered if the need to sacrifice parking space for new buildings might have caused the developer to reconsider the future phases. (Probably not, but it has crossed my mind.) They removed the old schoolhouse several years ago and then...nothing.

Well maybe if anyone sees March Egerton, they can ask him.

The .66 acre lot home to a convenience store/gas station at 336 E. Trinity Lane  has been purchased by Strive Investment out of Hendersonville for $1.85 million.  The same plot sold for $150,000 13 years ago. 

No word on plans for the site yet, but it would not be surprising if it were some sort of mixed-use residential development.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21082809/east-nashville-site-near-brewery-sells-for-185m

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.39.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.40.09 PM.png

A large warehouse complex (131,000 sq. ft.) built in 1923 at 515 Foster St. in East Nashville in the McFerrin Park neighborhood (next to Ellington Parkway) has been purchased by an LLC associated with Emerald Real Estate Partners out ofCalifornia for $6 million.  This is over four times what it sold for 5 years ago.

Now word on plans for the site.  It is just a few blocks east of the large mixed-use Skyline East project that is being proposed. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/industrial-real-estate/article/21082991/east-nashville-warehouse-site-sells-for-6m

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 1.02.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 1.10.46 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Edgefield D said:

I guess this answers my question about the old Bill Martin's

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1105-Fatherland-St-Nashville-TN/16971732/

Yes, the present base zoning limits the height and floor-area-ratio coverage on the site to being basically what is there now.  I have spoken to one of the owners and they have been looking at updating and reusing the building for retail. 

• Like 1

Three key plots of land near Five Points at 1007-1011 Clearview (which includes The Treehouse restaurant) are up for sale at a combined $1.9 million. They are al owned by the Spicher family.  They had purchased 1009-1011 for a combined $47,000 in the late 80s, and the 1007 parcel for $175,000 in 2007.  The homes were built in the 1930s. 

Buddy Spicher, who is a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, is wanting to cash-in on the sale to fund his retirement years.  The hope is to keep The Treehouse in operation with any new buyers. The Metro Historic Zoning Commission had denied a request to tear down the properties in March.

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21083382/five-points-properties-listed-for-19m

1007 to 1011 Clearview, Treehouse, Aug 21, 2019, site 1.png

1007 to 1011 Clearview, Treehouse, Aug 21, 2019, site 2.png

1007 to 1011 Clearview, Treehouse, Aug 21, 2019, site 3.png

1007 to 1011 Clearview, Treehouse, Aug 21, 2019, site map.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bwithers1 said:

Yes, the present base zoning limits the height and floor-area-ratio coverage on the site to being basically what is there now.  I have spoken to one of the owners and they have been looking at updating and reusing the building for retail. 

Thanks Brett.  This is disappointing.  I live on this block and was hoping for something better.  At that intersection, the other 3 corners engage the street and the BM parking lot stands out like a sore thumb.  In the context of the 37206 building and the rest of the area it is very surprising that they wouldn't at least try to get rezoning for an improved use.  I think the neighborhood would be supportive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwithers1 said:

Why would the overlay not supersede base zoning?

From the Five Points Overlay:

image.thumb.png.5e84e506f4c26a89457749822d7cbeb5.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

Why would the overlay not supersede base zoning?

From the Five Points Overlay:

image.thumb.png.5e84e506f4c26a89457749822d7cbeb5.png

That's a great question.  The MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District does supersede the base zoning; however, the Redevelopment District expires next year and everything will revert to base zoning.  My work list for the upcoming term is to work with MDHA, Planning, commercial property owners and community groups to work on an orderly plan to exit the Five Points Redevelopment District.  MDHA is not interested in renewing the Five Points Redevelopment District and there are no TIF loan obligations on that Redevelopment District.

My general proposal would be to change the CN or CS parcels that have mixed-use and multi-story possibilities under the redevelopment district design guidelines and to MUL-A base zoning that would closely match the entitlements that the parcels currently have under the Redevelopment District Land Use Plan and design guidelines.  In terms of base zoning, the "outer ring" of Five Points generally has MUL base zoning but ironically the inner core of Five Points only has CN or CS in most cases.  The owner of 307 S 11th Street went ahead and requested to change his parcel's zoning to MUL-A to more-or-less match the MUL that is in place on the adjacent parcels that he owns at 11th/Fatherland.  That base zone change was approved on third reading at last night's meeting.

As for the parking arrangement, that would be up to the MDHA Design Review Committee and would potentially also require a Board of Zoning Appeals hearing to work out a curb-cut plan with Public Works and Planning Staff.  The pull-in parking isn't going anywhere for now with this building, but there may be a possible requirement to reduce the curb cuts.  But with renovation permits such as this one or the ones on Woodland Street between McFerrin and 10th, or the former Family Dollar at 1000 Woodland, requiring the installation of new sidewalks to current standard and eliminating or reducing curb cuts is often impractical or financially unfeasible.  If/when the buildings are demolished and new ones are constructed, then new sidewalk requirements can be applied.  But otherwise in most cases for renovation permits the existing sidewalks must be maintained in good condition but not replaced.

Edited by bwithers1

Gotta chime in with the disappointment on this. That's a full acre of space that's gonna be dedicated to four shops and a giant parking lot. Which means it will be targeted at businesses pulling in traffic from outside the neighborhood instead of building local amenities. And it won't add anything to the residential stock in a neighborhood that already blew past the working class and is now edging past the top of the middle class. If zoning is a factor in this decision at all, it's absolute negligence on our part as a city. Houses are selling for $1.2 million down the block, the neighborhood school is re-segregating, and we're gonna keep sitting here using outdated zoning to artificially restrict efforts to meet that demand? This is a textbook example of the real decisions developers make between adding housing or just renovating and going up-market, and all the demagoguing about affordable housing (and Barnes fund blather) does nothing but obscure the real mechanisms we have to allow the market to provide supply to meet the demand.

I live on Fatherland, and I always look forward to watching the neighborhood evolve. It's pretty discouraging when most of it seems to be locked up by exclusionary restrictions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AronG said:

Gotta chime in with the disappointment on this. That's a full acre of space that's gonna be dedicated to four shops and a giant parking lot. Which means it will be targeted at businesses pulling in traffic from outside the neighborhood instead of building local amenities. And it won't add anything to the residential stock in a neighborhood that already blew past the working class and is now edging past the top of the middle class. If zoning is a factor in this decision at all, it's absolute negligence on our part as a city. Houses are selling for $1.2 million down the block, the neighborhood school is re-segregating, and we're gonna keep sitting here using outdated zoning to artificially restrict efforts to meet that demand? This is a textbook example of the real decisions developers make between adding housing or just renovating and going up-market, and all the demagoguing about affordable housing (and Barnes fund blather) does nothing but obscure the real mechanisms we have to allow the market to provide supply to meet the demand.

I live on Fatherland, and I always look forward to watching the neighborhood evolve. It's pretty discouraging when most of it seems to be locked up by exclusionary restrictions.

I live at Fatherland and 17th and I’m fully on board with exploring additional uses for Bill Martins 

5 hours ago, 37206dude said:

Thanks Brett.  This is disappointing.  I live on this block and was hoping for something better.  At that intersection, the other 3 corners engage the street and the BM parking lot stands out like a sore thumb.  In the context of the 37206 building and the rest of the area it is very surprising that they wouldn't at least try to get rezoning for an improved use.  I think the neighborhood would be supportive. 

I am inclined to agree in some respects.  I would love to get a Trader Joe's there since those almost always have parking in front.  But we will see who the new tenants end up being.  I cannot make some rezone their property, demolish it and build something new.  If they choose to pursue an adaptive reuse of an existing structure within the existing base zoning, they are within their rights and I have no intervention in that other than perhaps weighing in on variance requests that are ultimately decided by the Board of Zoning Appeals.  I let the owner know of my offer to entertain a base zone change to MUL-A. 

As to whether or not neighbors would be supportive, I will say that some neighbors have expressed a concern about mixed-use zoning there because the housing units could be used as Short Term Rentals.  There truly is no way to make everyone happy.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, AronG said:

@AronG The restrictions on the use, building height and floor area ratio can be changed with a base zone change or preferably an SP that restricts short term rentals from gobbling up any housing units that would conceivably be built.  So this is not on "the city" restricting anything, it is the owner deciding to forego that option to explore the process to change the base zoning entitlements at least for the time being.  I let an owner know that I am willing to consider a zone change that is consistent with the Conservation Overlay and the Redevelopment District Design Guidelines with community feedback about excluded uses, etc.  There is no way to make this be affordable housing unless the owner of this parcel decides to deed restrict it for affordable housing. 

Sean Brock's still-unnamed 2 story restaurant at 809 Meridian St. in McFerrin Park received an $800,000 permit for the conversion of the old Hillsboro Building Company building.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21083871/work-underway-on-brock-restaurant

8 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Sean Brock's still-unnamed 2 story restaurant at 809 Meridian St. in McFerrin Park received an $800,000 permit for the conversion of the old Hillsboro Building Company building.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/21083871/work-underway-on-brock-restaurant

If any of you watch Chef's Table on Netflix (I'm hooked), there was an episode featuring Sean and his difficult journey to becoming a renowned chef.     I'm excited to see what he has planned for his new concept in McFerrin Park.   

image.png.c2d1fdc1877f0be9992a14ed58b66b26.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CenterHill said:

If any of you watch Chef's Table on Netflix (I'm hooked), there was an episode featuring Sean and his difficult journey to becoming a renowned chef.     I'm excited to see what he has planned for his new concept in McFerrin Park.   

image.png.c2d1fdc1877f0be9992a14ed58b66b26.png

I wish they would focus on another Nashville area chef.  Getting burnt out on SB after the last few years of coverage.

Inglewood Car Wash for sale, $899k, up from $171k in '15

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/4018-Gallatin-Pike-Nashville-TN/16886137/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2009SP-012-003_plan.pdf

The proposed development at the corner of 16th and Ordway is on the schedule for the September 12th planning meeting. 

What is happening, is Sweet 16th being torn down and this being built in its place? Or is this across the street in the vacant lot?