Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Agreed! I click on the likes (hearts) not always b/c I like an actual building but I like the photo being posted. But that design should not have been allowed on Main Street (perhaps a side street that needed a shot in the arm). Mix of exterior materials, aluminum framed windows and the trailer-park parapet all scream "Cheap!" But I'll be the owners will make a killing. So help me understand, the neighbors who don't want the church turned into a bar are only 1 block away, right? So where were they in opposition to this? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Gross. 

It looks like the addition to a 100 year old high school that was added in the mid 2000s.

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Agreed! I click on the likes (hearts) not always b/c I like an actual building but I like the photo being posted. But that design should not have been allowed on Main Street (perhaps a side street that needed a shot in the arm). Mix of exterior materials, aluminum framed windows and the trailer-park parapet all scream "Cheap!" But I'll be the owners will make a killing. So help me understand, the neighbors who don't want the church turned into a bar are only 1 block away, right? So where were they in opposition to this? 

Because those people suck booty hole and are incredibly dumb and vanilla.

13 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Looks like a cheap college dorm from the 1970s. :tw_confused:

Looks like no street level activation either?  FML

On 9/14/2019 at 8:34 AM, MLBrumby said:

A lot of people in the area were opposed to it, not so much because of the design as because it will be one giant, non-stop, booze-and-coke-fueled bachelor/bachelorette party. A hotel without any adult supervision. Me? I just don't like the design.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:00 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I was referring to the Main and Forrest property.

Still the height on Main and Gallatin should be allowed to go 6 all along the corridor, and if truth be told, all the way to the Sumner county line. The more density you have along a major transit route the better things will be whenever we get transit and we will at some point. The more people that live within a block of that line the more folks that will use it. Its all about density and urban development.

As it stands not the crazy folks in northern Davidson will never allow affordable housing to be built on all the land that is vacant up there, and if the developers did, they would end up building McMansions no one could afford on 5 acre lots. Antioch is a disaster, so the next best option is to build up you transit corridors to their maximum effectiveness.

Most of Main Street and quite a bit of Gallatin out to Briley Parkway already has MUG-A zoning that allows at least five stories, and potentially more depending on the lot size.  For this particular property, there are height restrictions through the Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation overlay in order to help ensure that whatever is built on this site does not overwhelm the historic buildings on either side:  the Walnut Exchange Building (Marche, etc), the East Library and others. But otherwise there is plenty of underutilized or even vacant land along Main and Gallatin where 5+ stories can already be constructed without a zone change and without a dwelling unit density cap. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Even something "as simple" as this...

image.png.a05d6b616a18bfc664b6929cc1363f0a.png

New Haven, CT just did this to help with crosswalk corners. I know Turbo Nashville has been working on items like this in different parts of the city.

Turbo did the corner at 11th/Gallatin, which could use some refurbishment now.  I could see something like this for the southwest corner of Woodland/11th where the sidewalks are so narrow and the trees that are in the sidewalks block pedestrian traffic and make the sidewalks inaccessible to wheelchairs.  We would have to take away the one-hour parking spaces (which are not monitored) in order to install something like what is captured in the above photo, but it would be worth it.  Five Points business owners call me to tell me that there is no parking in Five Points, but of course there is lots of parking, it's just not free parking.  Sigh. 

I'll take a wait-and-see approach to 10th/Main.  @AronGThe new traffic signal equipment and curbs are only four years old:  they were installed in late 2015 and so they meet the latest Public Works and ADA standards.  If cars are coming flying down Gallatin through this intersection they are running the red light that turns on before the pedestrian crossing signal is activated.  The Hunter's Station project is technically located in District 5, and so there may have been discussions with the prior CM (or not) about what level of pedestrian enhancements were needed.  I'm just not certain about that.

The information that I receive from Public Works is that raised crosswalks interfere with drainage, and so that is why they are not done unless you re-do the curb-and-gutter system entirely.  That's what I am told, anyway.  Public Works doesn't like the textured crosswalks, either, because they are a maintenance hassle. 

But again, traffic is supposed to be stopped by a red light when the pedestrian crosswalk is activated and I would have to check but there should be sign indicating to drivers that they must yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk before turning.  If drivers are not doing that, I am not sure that raising a crosswalk an inch is going to change much.  At some point, this is a Nashville-drivers issue.  The pedestrian crossing islands are so expensive that we need to focus those first where the most pedestrian strikes are occurring.  One of the ones on Nolensville Road in front of Casa Azafran has been installed only a short time and has already been hit and damaged by drivers numerous times.  SMH. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, AronG said:

Hi Brett, thanks for the info. Gotta say it seems insane for me that we have to wait for "pedestrian strikes" (aka dead people) to guide our street design, but I guess that's Nashville in 2019. The factors that induce drivers to hit people are super well-known, and as much as we all like to blame Nashville drivers, unfortunately it has much more to do with the pushback you describe from Public Works. Those guys are trapped in a mentality from 30 years ago, when 98% of street design was about maximizing car throughput for suburban commuters. When we can't even put in a crosswalk without it getting smashed up, it's the most blatant possible evidence that we've created a violent safety hazard in our public spaces and need to revisit the design choices that got us there. It's not like this is some kind of mysterious problem; the solutions have been documented repeatedly by organizations like the NACTO (https://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/). But right now Public Works cares more about easy maintenance than our dozens of dead pedestrians every year, and they continue to ignore modern urban design guidelines and best practices unless there's specific pressure on each project.

I know the systemic problems are out of your control, but I hope you'll use the influence you have on D6 design choices to push things in the right direction. Eastland and Chapel was one example where Public Works started with an incredibly ignorant design, and still only managed to get it about halfway fixed based on pushback. We'll eventually join the rest of the urban areas of the world in designing our intersections for people instead of cars, but until then every project is an opportunity to improve neighborhood safety. 

I agree, Public Works is generally in the habit of ignoring best practices that are well established in other cities.   The overwhelming majority of even new pedestrian and bike infrastructure in Nashville is dangerous by design.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 8:34 AM, MLBrumby said:

Can we not get some better design guidelines? This is just the worst in so many ways.

• Thanks 1

Plans for the proposed new pub and restaurant, Eastwood Assembly, at 714 Gallatin Ave. appear to be cancelled based on the large “FOR LEASE” sign that appeared on the property this week. As reported in last week’s News Roundup, several residential neighbors were voicing opposition to the project and were organizing in an attempt to halt it.

https://www.theeastnashvillian.com/friday-news-roundup-september-20/

They are. As far as the project across from Opryland, it looks as if they are doing the apartments first as that is the only thing I have seen any movement on. Remember Highwoods is a national player and they have lots of spending power and can do multiple projects in multiple cities at the same time.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:52 AM, smeagolsfree said:

They are. As far as the project across from Opryland, it looks as if they are doing the apartments first as that is the only thing I have seen any movement on. Remember Highwoods is a national player and they have lots of spending power and can do multiple projects in multiple cities at the same time.

Highwoods is short on cash, currently, due to buying the brand new 33 story Bank of America tower in Charlotte last month. To help with that purchase, they are selling all assets they own in Memphis and exiting that market. They are also selling some assets in other markets. While Highwoods is doing fine financially, they likely have a short-term cash flow issue, so don't expect great things from them for a bit

• Like 3

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/3715453?page=1&searchText=1716 Greenwood ave&searchCode=ADDR&searchType=permit&orderBy=permitNumber DESC

New permit application for 1716 Greenwood Avenue (https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20493489/fall-start-eyed-for-east-nashville-mixeduse-project). This is for interior demo of the church. They are still working to get approval of their SW Grading plans. I’m really excited that Vintage South Development is part of this team now. 

@bwithers1 Can you share anything about this?

• Like 2