Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The 3 parcel site at 943-947 Woodland St is being rehabbed for an unknown use via a permit of $1.64 million by Green & Little.  STG Design is handling the architectural and interior design duties. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21107575/permit-patrol-23-december-2019

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.51.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.52.55 AM.png

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, bwithers1 said:

@ArongG There was a fair amount of neighbor opposition to this base zone change from CN to MUN-A among neighbors on Fatherland and the next-door neighbor on S 14th Street.  The Planning Commission's Public Comments document contains at least some of those comments and some of my responses https://www.nashville.gov/document/ID/51e34685-7104-40d2-b70f-3e5d4e966d0b/December-12-2019-Comments-received-through-December-12.  One of those neighbors had requested that the original request for MUL-A be changed to MUN-A, and the applicant agreed to do that, but still the neighbor and other neighbors on Fatherland wrote in opposition and came to the hearing to pull the item off of the consent agenda for a full deliberation.  The neighbor on S 14th asked me why the owners couldn't simply put a house there, and I replied that the Community Plan for that parcel is Neighborhood Center, the present base zoning is Commercial, not residential, and that the intent of the MUN-A base zone change is actually to allow residential units.  I also pointed out to the Commissioners during my testimony that going all the way back to the community input that resulted in the MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District land use plan and design guidelines in 1991, the community specifically allowed for Mixed Uses on this parcel and its inclusion in the Commercial Corner subdistrict section of the design guidelines calls for mixed uses with ground-floor retail/commercial with residential above and rear or pull-under parking.  So the same community that has worked on the Conservation Overlay and neighborhood preservation efforts also specifically has called for mixed-uses on this site going back for almost 30 years.  The Commissioners did recommend approval and so the item will now come before the Metro Council at a future public hearing, possibly the February public hearing.

Hi Brett, thanks so much for your efforts here. The feedback that communities give when we're looking at long term vision (NashvilleNext, etc.) is so much more thoughtful and valuable than the feedback that comes in on specific projects. I know people have valid concerns about neighborhood development, but in practice they seem to quickly lose perspective and end up just resisting any and everything. This is a fine example, with the goalposts moving from MUL-A to MUN-A to straight R6 or whatever. This wasn't a single-use neighborhood of pat, single-family homes when it was built in the 1920s and 30s. I'm always regaled when I come across references to stuff like the broom factory at 16th & Boscobel, or the cigar factory at 19th & Lillian. Our factory days may be over, but the restaurants, markets, shops, and variety of residential densities are what separates us from boring suburban subdivisions. Plenty of the neighborhood feels that way, although they're generally not the ones that are motivated to write letters and show up at Tuesday night Planning Commission meetings.

Anyway, it's refreshing to see you trying to keep us between the lines on this, and it's great to see a few neighbors taking the time to write in favor. I would've done the same if I'd been paying attention.

Speaking of which, is the alcohol license for the new Frothy Monkey in doubt? I saw signs about an upcoming hearing, is this something that we need to sweat?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AronG said:

This wasn't a single-use neighborhood of pat, single-family homes when it was built in the 1920s and 30s. I'm always regaled when I come across references to stuff like the broom factory at 16th & Boscobel, or the cigar factory at 19th & Lillian. Our factory days may be over, but the restaurants, markets, shops, and variety of residential densities are what separates us from boring suburban subdivisions. Plenty of the neighborhood feels that way, although they're generally not the ones that are motivated to write letters and show up at Tuesday night Planning Commission meetings.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mahankind said:

Just a quick note: This block has a commercial component as a precedent. Further up, toward 15th there was a retail strip that stood from the late 1920s until the late 1980s. Notable tenants included barber shops, grocers, and an antique shop. I live on Russell very close to the project site and I welcome more active commercial corners in the neighborhood. There were never any homes on the North side of this block until the current ones were constructed, which is why we are seeing this push back to commercial here. Just my 2 cents. -DJ

Thanks for the background, and welcome to the forum, Mahankind.   : )

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Buildings razed at NE corner of Lebanon Pike and Fairview Rd. in Donelson. Not sure what is going to be constructed in their place.

Jeff Syracuse Metro Council District 15Like Page

As many have asked and everyone has no doubt seen, the former Philips 66 gas station at the corner of Fairway Drive and Lebanon Pike has been demo'd. In it's place will rise a very nice branch of Chase Bank. Below is a rendering of what it will look like. Join me in thanking HJL Management and Maria Mauthe for their tireless efforts in investing in this whole block from Fairway Drive to McGavock Pike along Lebanon Pike. As announced previously, next to Chase will be Tenn Fold, a new brewery and pizzeria. An announcement about the former Spots Pet Supply building will be coming.  Sunflower Bakehouse has been a big success and of course the Donelson Corner shopping center looks better than ever after the renovation and new small businesses added like Donelson Hot Yoga. With the Fairway Drive sidewalk project finally now 99% complete, this area of Donelson has seen a lot of great investment and improvement.

FDF4FB88-FB1A-46D1-A9EA-F6472A11FBBA.jpeg

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 4

On 12/26/2019 at 6:56 AM, markhollin said:

Mill Creek Meadows (40 homes) update.  About half complete.

Looking NW from Lebanon Pike, just west of Donelson Hills Drive:

Mill Creek Meadows, Dec 15, 2019.jpg

Mark, this development is Riverwalk at Mill Creek. It will eventually include a small retail portion facing Lebanon Pike, although I can’t find any info online about that phase. Here’s the link for the residential.

https://www.riverwalkatmillcreek.com/

FE8E5810-3ED9-4B26-B25A-A6E2B63585D2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Mark, this development is Riverwalk at Mill Creek. It will eventually include a small retail portion facing Lebanon Pike, although I can’t find any info online about that phase. Here’s the link for the residential.

https://www.riverwalkatmillcreek.com/

FE8E5810-3ED9-4B26-B25A-A6E2B63585D2.jpeg

I may be alone in this opinion, but I still don’t get this development. I guess it’s a good pocket development, but it looks like it’s built on the edge of a flood plain. A rotary right at the entrance doesn’t make a ton of sense as those parcels seem tiny and are they even moving forwards with the future phases?

idk why this one strikes me as sound, just does lol

19 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I may be alone in this opinion, but I still don’t get this development. I guess it’s a good pocket development, but it looks like it’s built on the edge of a flood plain. A rotary right at the entrance doesn’t make a ton of sense as those parcels seem tiny and are they even moving forwards with the future phases?

idk why this one strikes me as sound, just does lol

Actually, it IS a on the edge of a flood plain....possibly even on it.  

1 minute ago, markhollin said:

Actually, it IS a on the edge of a flood plain....possibly even on it.  

Yes, I would expect these homeowners will want to purchase flood insurance.  (It’s so cheap, it’s silly to go without.)

As for the rotary, it will be useful when that becomes the intersection that will serve as access to the small retail section.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, bwithers1 said:

@ArongG There was a fair amount of neighbor opposition to this base zone change from CN to MUN-A among neighbors on Fatherland and the next-door neighbor on S 14th Street.  The Planning Commission's Public Comments document contains at least some of those comments and some of my responses https://www.nashville.gov/document/ID/51e34685-7104-40d2-b70f-3e5d4e966d0b/December-12-2019-Comments-received-through-December-12.  One of those neighbors had requested that the original request for MUL-A be changed to MUN-A, and the applicant agreed to do that, but still the neighbor and other neighbors on Fatherland wrote in opposition and came to the hearing to pull the item off of the consent agenda for a full deliberation.  The neighbor on S 14th asked me why the owners couldn't simply put a house there, and I replied that the Community Plan for that parcel is Neighborhood Center, the present base zoning is Commercial, not residential, and that the intent of the MUN-A base zone change is actually to allow residential units.  I also pointed out to the Commissioners during my testimony that going all the way back to the community input that resulted in the MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District land use plan and design guidelines in 1991, the community specifically allowed for Mixed Uses on this parcel and its inclusion in the Commercial Corner subdistrict section of the design guidelines calls for mixed uses with ground-floor retail/commercial with residential above and rear or pull-under parking.  So the same community that has worked on the Conservation Overlay and neighborhood preservation efforts also specifically has called for mixed-uses on this site going back for almost 30 years.  The Commissioners did recommend approval and so the item will now come before the Metro Council at a future public hearing, possibly the February public hearing.

Thanks as always Brett.  I know it is not fun to stand up to a small number of angry neighbors but your reasoning is solid.  I honestly could not believe some of the comments. This lot is literally at the same corner as a large beer market.  This property has been vacant and in disrepair for many years.  I can't believe anyone in the neighborhood wouldn't see an improved use as better than that.

• Like 3

^^^ That's a great East Nashville list.

To it I would add redevelopment of the three unused corners of 10th and Shelby. It's a moderately prominent intersection, and they've been sitting in their current bare-dirt or vacant state for over 10 years.

And it would be great if something would happen with the abandoned Naval Reserve Training Center in Shelby Park. It's gradually turning into an eyesore.

Edited by billgregg55
Addition
  • Like 2