Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:55 AM, Bos2Nash said:

@DJIII and I got notified about this
3930 Gallatin Avenue - 4-stories, urban development. Building against the street and parking in rear (finally!!!). No count on units yet. The parcels are still owned by the eastminister church, so they may be waiting on variances prior to finalizing the purchase  

Here is a description from a resident who attended a meeting and posted to the East Nashville Urban Design Facebook page....
They plan to build an office condominium where professionals (lawyers, architects, etc.) will buy  office space.  No retail is planned.  They want a "legacy design with brick type exterior" and there will be 4th floor communal  space for residents. It will be run by a condo board.

They are going to the Board of Zoning Appeals on January 16 to request two variances.  The current MULA zoning allows a four story building with the 4th floor setback. (like Riverside Village). They want a height variance for the fourth floor setback. 

They also want a decrease in the required parking from 94 to 72 spaces. The only ingress/egress from the building will be on Sunnymeade because Public Works doesn't want any driveways on Gallatin.

The developer (Nathan Weinberg) and the architects (Smith Gee Studio) are Inglewood/East Nashville residents.

They will build a wider sidewalk with a green strip in the front with a setback for future transit development. The building will be flush with the street with parking in the rear. There will be  a green barrier in the rear between the parking and the next house.

Site Plan:

8234B892-0F31-4732-8790-C8D16AAEEDCC.jpeg.804cb42883c0501e7bbb4644bc18428c.jpeg

Concept imagery:

489EAE13-33DC-4D6E-927B-07F52B59582F.jpeg.97f75566605499e53d6dc9629df80b27.jpeg

Elevation views:

FC0A85F6-50CC-4C71-830E-7757011E5727.jpeg.cb84743171c0fb1022085c0dc7a8fea0.jpeg

Snapshot from Google Maps:

B0B4F35C-2458-4E92-B3F2-76C940E6820E.thumb.jpeg.1b4999e1a2a29bef4714b06fc7b83493.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, @DJIII.  Eastminster Presbyterian Church experienced a tragedy when they lost their church building due to arson a few years ago now.  They have since been worshipping in our building at Woodland Presbyterian across from the East Library.  Eastminster is an unique congregation that holds bilingual services.  There were many delays on the sale of this property and I am glad to see things moving forward for them so that they can move on.  I know that both North By Northeast and SmithGee will do a good job with this project once it is approved.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bwithers1 said:

They plan to build an office condominium where professionals (lawyers, architects, etc.) will buy  office space.  No retail is planned.  They want a "legacy design with brick type exterior" and there will be 4th floor communal  space for residents. It will be run by a condo board.

This is pretty confusing. First they say office condos, but later use the term 'residents'. Is there a residential component, or would replacing 'residents' with 'occupants' or 'tenants' be appropriate?

Edited by Rockatansky
clarification

Amazon is going to build its 10th distribution center in theNashville metro at 710 Myatt Drive in Madison near Rivergate Mall.  The 130,000 sq. ft. facility is on a 40 acre site that Panattoni Development will build. No word on how many will be employed.

With this additional location, Amazon will now have just shy of 7 million sq. ft. of warehousing space in the Nashville market.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/01/08/amazon-lines-up-10th-nashvilledistribution-deal.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 8.42.16 AM.png

• Like 3

On 1/8/2020 at 11:01 AM, Rockatansky said:

This is pretty confusing. First they say office condos, but later use the term 'residents'. Is there a residential component, or would replacing 'residents' with 'occupants' or 'tenants' be appropriate?

My understanding of it is that these will essentially be "Live/Work" units for professionals to live while also holding businesses. The person who attended the meeting mentioned a condo board would run the building, so rather than a single entity making decisions and changing lease rates, the owners of the individual units would have to come together for decisions would be made. I for one really like the model.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

A couple of those units are insanely small. Hopefully the design has some built murphy beds or something lol

The summer I spent in Boston I lived in an apartment that was so small I could sit on the end of the bed and reach everything in the refrigerator! (Probably less than 150 square feet.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The summer I spent in Boston I lived in an apartment that was so small I could sit on the end of the bed and reach everything in the refrigerator! (Probably less than 150 square feet.)

You didnt even have to get up for a midnight snack...oh the weight gain!

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2020 at 1:39 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

I was living in a tiny apartment, but in a fantastic location. Third floor of this old building, above the UPS Store.

82EB92B1-6ED0-4EFB-B3A0-F9E07B2BDDA4.jpeg

305A7EEE-FB5D-4C67-A8CA-0A0B24BFA68B.jpeg

That location is awesome, but definitely notorious for small (very expensive now) living quarters. Almost my neck of the woods too. I spent four years at Wentworth by the MFA. 

• Like 1

The Five Points building at 1016 Woodland St. that was last home to Tenn Sixteen Bar is now for sale at $3.5 million. It was built in 1920, spanning  4,400 sq. ft. and covers 1/10th of an acre. It las t sold for $460,000 8 years ago. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21110945/five-points-building-listed-for-sale-for-35m

• Like 1

Walking the dogs on Monday, I noticed that work seems to be picking up at the old Hobson UMC building at Greenwood and Chapel.  It looks like they have finished or nearly finished gutting the oldest and original part of the structure (the southern end) and have reframed much of the interior. Also, there was a man power washing the exterior.

@bwithers1, have you ever heard anything from the new owners on their plans?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Walking the dogs on Monday, I noticed that work seems to be picking up at the old Hobson UMC building at Greenwood and Chapel.  It looks like they have finished or nearly finished gutting the oldest and original part of the structure (the southern end) and have reframed much of the interior. Also, there was a man power washing the exterior.

Their stormwater grading permit was approved today - https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/3702220?page=1&searchText=1716 Greenwood Ave&searchCode=ADDR&searchType=permit&orderBy=permitNumber DESC

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:17 AM, Nashville Cliff said:

@Nashville Cliff I have not been contacted by the new owners, but they are well known for quality adaptive reuses around town.  My understanding is that they are building out the plan that was approved several years ago as a preliminary SP.  The final site plan had not been approved, and so there may be some final details that have yet to be worked out. particularly with the exterior grounds site plan.

• Like 2