Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, bwithers1 said:

@Nashville Cliff I have not been contacted by the new owners, but they are well known for quality adaptive reuses around town.  My understanding is that they are building out the plan that was approved several years ago as a preliminary SP.  The final site plan had not been approved, and so there may be some final details that have yet to be worked out. particularly with the exterior grounds site plan.

And that backs up the note that was added today by planning on their stormwater grading permit.

83600BCD-3414-417B-A7D0-03279F2DEAF0.png

• Like 1

A redevelopment proposal for the former Five Points Fellowship Church parcel at 210 S 10th Street (northwest corner of 10th/Fatherland) will be presented at Tuesday's Historic Edgefield Neighborhood Association meeting.  The parcel has a T4-Urban Neighborhood Center policy but the base zoning is still R8.  The zone change request is for a Specific Plan zoning that will include a corner commercial (retail/office) building with some townhouses and/or detached houses as well as a rear parking lot accessed off of Fatherland Street.  I have already met with the owners and architect as well as with Planning and Historic staff to talk about this proposal in an earlier iteration. The numbers appear not to be working as well for residential as for commercial and so in discussions so far the office space portion of the proposal has been increasing in size while the residential unit count has been shrinking.  These are the same owners who developed the townhouses next door a few years ago so they are familiar with the site, the neighborhood and the local construction/leasing market. 

The community meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 28th at 7:00 PM at East Park Community Center in case anyone is interested in attending  to learn more.  This is a prominent corner, so I am hoping to gather community input fairly early.  If the SP zone change request moves forward it would have a total of four public hearings, but it is best to garner as much community feedback as possible before the owner files the application or at least early in the process. 

• Like 3

Another of Sean Brock's restaurant concepts, Joyland, is moving forward in the 2,400 sq. ft. space formerly home to Say Golden at 901 Woodland St.  A $50,000 permit was granted for interior renovations.  A March opening is planned.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/01/28/permit-issued-for-one-of-sean-brock-s-east.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

A redevelopment proposal for the former Five Points Fellowship Church parcel at 210 S 10th Street (northwest corner of 10th/Fatherland) will be presented at Tuesday's Historic Edgefield Neighborhood Association meeting.  The parcel has a T4-Urban Neighborhood Center policy but the base zoning is still R8.  The zone change request is for a Specific Plan zoning that will include a corner commercial (retail/office) building with some townhouses and/or detached houses as well as a rear parking lot accessed off of Fatherland Street.  I have already met with the owners and architect as well as with Planning and Historic staff to talk about this proposal in an earlier iteration. The numbers appear not to be working as well for residential as for commercial and so in discussions so far the office space portion of the proposal has been increasing in size while the residential unit count has been shrinking.  These are the same owners who developed the townhouses next door a few years ago so they are familiar with the site, the neighborhood and the local construction/leasing market. 

The community meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 28th at 7:00 PM at East Park Community Center in case anyone is interested in attending  to learn more.  This is a prominent corner, so I am hoping to gather community input fairly early.  If the SP zone change request moves forward it would have a total of four public hearings, but it is best to garner as much community feedback as possible before the owner files the application or at least early in the process. 

Doubt if I'll make it to the meetings, but I'm further down on Fatherland, and my feedback is that R8 is way under-zoned for S 10th (or 11th, or a lot of the area within a few blocks of 5 points). We have less and less diversity of price point in this neighborhood every year (remodels in Edgefield are listing for north of a million $ now!), and the only way to do anything about that when demand is this high is to let the density increase from these old R6/R8 lots to encourage a lot more townhome-style developments, which are currently stifled by processes like these gauntlets of public hearings before anyone can plan anything.

If they're gonna go commercial instead of residential it will still be a big amenity for the neighborhood *if* it's built to fit into the overall walking district (i.e. doesn't have a bunch of parking to solicit traffic from outside the neighborhood etc.).

Speaking of which, can this project be used to bring forward some of the improvements to 10th St? Either a bike lane, or calm the traffic by going down to one travel lane all the way from Shelby to Main, bulb out the curbs so drivers will slow down as they come around the corners, better crosswalks, etc.

Thanks for your efforts Brett.

• Like 2

Eero Saarinen was a magnificent designer. Doesn't shock me that MZA would gain influence from his work.

To give some context to Eero's designs (not shown would be how he helped design the Situation Room at the White House, thanks wikipedia)....

The TWA Terminal at JFK which was recently preserved into a new hotel

Image result for eero saarinen

Gateway Arch in St. Louis

1024px-St_Louis_night_expblend_cropped.jpg

Kresge Auditorium at MIT

Image result for eero saarinen kresge auditorium

• Like 4

The District will be a mixed-use development featuring numerous 3 story buildings with 78 townhomes, a 7,000 sq. ft. indoor dog daycare center, and passive park/green space on 12.66 acres  on Stoney Creek Rd., just west of North Mt. Juliet Rd.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/2020/01/29/mt-juliet-development-78-townhome-units-proposed-stoney-creek-road/4590560002/

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 6.18.32 AM.png

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:41 AM, AronG said:

Doubt if I'll make it to the meetings, but I'm further down on Fatherland, and my feedback is that R8 is way under-zoned for S 10th (or 11th, or a lot of the area within a few blocks of 5 points). We have less and less diversity of price point in this neighborhood every year (remodels in Edgefield are listing for north of a million $ now!), and the only way to do anything about that when demand is this high is to let the density increase from these old R6/R8 lots to encourage a lot more townhome-style developments, which are currently stifled by processes like these gauntlets of public hearings before anyone can plan anything.

If they're gonna go commercial instead of residential it will still be a big amenity for the neighborhood *if* it's built to fit into the overall walking district (i.e. doesn't have a bunch of parking to solicit traffic from outside the neighborhood etc.).

Speaking of which, can this project be used to bring forward some of the improvements to 10th St? Either a bike lane, or calm the traffic by going down to one travel lane all the way from Shelby to Main, bulb out the curbs so drivers will slow down as they come around the corners, better crosswalks, etc.

Thanks for your efforts Brett.

@AronG Well that community meeting was a s**t show.  Edgefield neighbors want to gate off the Fatherland Street and alley access in an effort to "preserve neighborhoods against commercial intrusion" that they perceive would occur by constructing a mixed-use building on a corner parcel that has a mixed-use policy in place.  And even for the detached houses on the Fatherland Street frontage:  nothing more than one story. I totally lost my temper.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The 1/2 acre two-parcel site at 921 Main St. that includes a 1 story 9,900 sq. ft. commercial structure that was built in 1965, is up fo sale at $3.25 million. It last sold for $265,000 in 1994. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21112942/east-side-property-listed-for-32m

921 Main St, Jan 29, 2020, site.png

921 Main St, Jan 29, 2020, site map.png

• Like 1

A hotel of unknown name and size is going to go on the 3.4 acre site at 921 Perimeter Court near the airport.  The land sold to the unidentified developer for $2.2 million today. More details to come.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21113014/hotel-eyed-for-justsold-airportarea-site

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 2.56.10 PM.png

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

@AronG Well that community meeting was a s**t show.  Edgefield neighbors want to gate off the Fatherland Street and alley access in an effort to "preserve neighborhoods against commercial intrusion" that they perceive would occur by constructing a mixed-use building on a corner parcel that has a mixed-use policy in place.  And even for the detached houses on the Fatherland Street frontage:  nothing more than one story. I totally lost my temper.

Wow. One story!?! Well I am truly sorry to hear that. We have so much to be thankful for in this neighborhood, so much history and creativity around us, so much interest and energy to channel into positive development. Instead, many of these meetings are dominated by people who show up with a lot of bottled up fear and anger. The current Edgefield group seems like an example of that category. I don't know how you deal with it.

There are plenty of people in the neighborhood with a more optimistic outlook, and with actual constructive feedback on how to channel the development energy. Most of them don't have the time or motivation to show up to all of these meetings, but we'd all be a lot better off if we could find a way to encourage and focus more on that type of feedback and less on the pitchfork mob.

Barring that, I hope some semblance of sanity can be preserved for this property. That intersection has evolved a lot over the last few years. 10th St felt like a drag strip there before the "Shoppes" were built and the stop sign was put in. Now it feels like a decent project here along with some street improvements could really extend the walkable fabric of the neighborhood. Here's hoping...

Thanks for your efforts, as always.

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Now I know why you had to cool down and decompress last night Brett. You have my sympathy. What a group of idiots to think they can gate off a publc street.

They actually DID block off some streets in this fashion in Saint Louis. Supposed to be a crime suppression tactic, or so I was told.

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

They actually DID block off some streets in this fashion in Saint Louis. Supposed to be a crime suppression tactic, or so I was told.

No, it was to control traffic. Too many people cutting through neighborhoods when traffic backs up on the main roads. This happens on the grid streets in the central area with cars cut through to the next parallel street(s), and normally result in cars speeding - excessively. Safety measure.