Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

15 hours ago, AronG said:

Wow. One story!?! Well I am truly sorry to hear that. We have so much to be thankful for in this neighborhood, so much history and creativity around us, so much interest and energy to channel into positive development. Instead, many of these meetings are dominated by people who show up with a lot of bottled up fear and anger. The current Edgefield group seems like an example of that category. I don't know how you deal with it.

There are plenty of people in the neighborhood with a more optimistic outlook, and with actual constructive feedback on how to channel the development energy. Most of them don't have the time or motivation to show up to all of these meetings, but we'd all be a lot better off if we could find a way to encourage and focus more on that type of feedback and less on the pitchfork mob.

Barring that, I hope some semblance of sanity can be preserved for this property. That intersection has evolved a lot over the last few years. 10th St felt like a drag strip there before the "Shoppes" were built and the stop sign was put in. Now it feels like a decent project here along with some street improvements could really extend the walkable fabric of the neighborhood. Here's hoping...

Thanks for your efforts, as always.

@AronGYes, we need folks who do support things to participate in community meetings and public hearings.  They have just as much of a voice and a vote as opponents, but that means nothing if they do not exercise their voice and vote.

17 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

They actually DID block off some streets in this fashion in Saint Louis. Supposed to be a crime suppression tactic, or so I was told.

@smeagolsfree@donNdonelson2@LA_TN In Edgefield, South 6th Street, South 7th Street, Russell Street and Boscobel Street were all dis-connected from the street grid at some point probably in the third quarter of the 20th Century.  This leaves only Fatherland as an east-west through street and only South 8th and 9th Streets as through north-south streets.  Which is also why the cut-through traffic funnels through Fatherland, 8th and 9th Streets, which is why we are now needing to look at traffic calming for those streets.  Disconnecting the street grid sometimes is necesary but often moves the traffic problem a block over, etc, and concentrates or creates new problems on those streets.  One downside of gating off Fatherland Street near 10th would actually be that Edgefield residents would then have to use Russell and Boscobel to get out of their neighborhood, which would create safety and visibility concerns for them since those intersections are offset and sharply angled. It would also intensify vehicular traffic on the 800- and 900-blocks of Russell and Boscobel, which is the exact opposite of what residents on those streets would want. Frustrating conversation, indeed.

In my hometown of Dayton, OH some streets were gated or dis-connected in an effort to control crime.  The problem is that once crime takes hold on those blocks the residents themselves are trapped.  Theefforts are too often permanent solutions to short-term problems or concerns that can be resolved by other means that still retains street connectivity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tokiorose said:

What other things? I live in Cleveland Park so this is close to home.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This same group has plans for projects all over town as well as what I think may be others on up Dickerson. I was also speaking of some of the other things that hit other media today and some other smaller projects.

FYI, its been an extremely busy time since the first of the year. 

• Like 2

Council representative Jeff Syracuse posted an update on the Pennington Centre development (the Opryland area property once slated for a water/snow attraction to be built in partnership with Dolly Parton’s people). Here are the highlights:

The first phase will be infrastructure work and 296 apartment homes (1, 2 and 3-bedroom), which will be separated into eight buildings three to four stories with about 25-54 apartments each and will also include a clubhouse.  Along Pennington Bend there will be a buffer zone that includes a 10-foot wide lighted walking path that will have public access.  The first 1,300 feet of this buffer zone will be 20-feet wide and then it will bump up to a 50-foot landscape buffer.  These buffers will be heavily planted per the city requirements.  The first apartment units will be coming to market around mid-2021.  There will also be a new signalized entrance off of McGavock Pike.  Here is the site plan plus a rendering.”

286A4FFA-96BB-4989-8876-59CF19130723.jpeg

27D654C0-39C9-4165-9E6F-33EFC773A015.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, grilled_cheese said:

616 Main St was in the process of being graded and graveled yesterday morning

Drove by yesterday morning and they had paved it over : (

Lots of action on Riverside Dr:

Graded gravel and a surveyor at McGavock and Riverside

The building at 1527 Riverside has been demolished

Across the street it looks like they've added on to Riverside Baptist and poured a new sidewalk on the property

Several of the mini house things have been installed at the corner of Rosebank and Riverside

Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 2