Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

23 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

Since this is the East Nashville thread, I'll say the Fond Object site's current design has yet to materialize after many discussions with public input.  But, a City Architect could do many things apart from just "weighing in" on specific developments.  They could be an advocate for the profession in a political sense (think health, safety, and welfare of the general public).  They could be the individual tasked with interpreting gray areas of code and even updating the Downtown Code along with the Planning Department.

The Fond Object site's design will be something complying with existing zoning since there was such a public outcry over the (better) design that would have required an exception.  I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a city architect, but one problem with giving any one appointed official too much influence is the danger of getting a bad one, a Robert Moses if you will.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

The Fond Object site's design will be something complying with existing zoning since there was such a public outcry over the (better) design that would have required an exception.  I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of a city architect, but one problem with giving any one appointed official too much influence is the danger of getting a bad one, a Robert Moses if you will.

There's danger in just about everything, but great cities don't avoid doing something because "something bad might happen". 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

There's danger in just about everything, but great cities don't avoid doing something because "something bad might happen". 

I'm not saying avoid, I'm saying ensure there are proper checks and balances in place. Great cities also don't wonder blindly forward.

55 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

That name always makes me laugh.. The Eagle is always the name of a Gay Leather Bar in any other large city... Its just funny to me !

When are they breaking ground on its sister building, The Bear?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, CandyAisles said:

Since this is the East Nashville thread, I'll say the Fond Object site's current design has yet to materialize after many discussions with public input.  But, a City Architect could do many things apart from just "weighing in" on specific developments.  They could be an advocate for the profession in a political sense (think health, safety, and welfare of the general public).  They could be the individual tasked with interpreting gray areas of code and even updating the Downtown Code along with the Planning Department.

The Ivy Drive fiasco is actually a great example of what a Town Architect could bring to the table. A position that had discretionary power could have unilaterally vetoed the original 32 home plan & talked with potential buyers/developers on what middle ground compromise would have been reasonable for that area. 

Instead, we’re stuck to a strict reading of zoning rules which includes the cluster lot option that allowed 32 homes, a huge leap in density for that area

This resulted in a knock-down drag-out battle with lawyers and tons of wasted effort on all sides. Nobody wins. Residents end up more suspicious of developers. And developers are left frustrated having spent money and time without getting clear concise guidance. 

Town architect could have ‘Split the baby in half’ & we’d probably already have 12-16 new homes on the market instead of nothing.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DJIII said:

Such a great development. Can’t be replicated by market rate developers in 97% of East Nashville due to single family zoning & minimum parking requirements. Unless of course you want to go in front of a NIMBY firing squad to try for an SP.

This is the example of a P3 project that needs to be followed for the "useless" studies that the city does. Also look what happens when private entities works with public entities for affordable housing (granted this isn't enough affordable housing).

• Like 2

Highview Flats (4, 3 & 2 stories, 163 units) update: up to 2nd level on northernmost section.

Looking SW from East Trinity Lane at Oakwood Ave:

Highview Flats. June 6, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking SE from intersection of East Trinity Lane and Edwin St:

Highview Flats. June 6, 2021, 2.jpeg

Looking north from Edwin St., 1/2 block south of East Trinity Lane:

Highview Flats. June 6, 2021, 3.jpeg

• Like 4