Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I'm curious, has anyone heard anything about this big parking lot on Main, across the street from the Hot Yoga and the Fieldhouse Jones Hotel? Between Weiss Liquors and the storage building that also houses Yeast Nashville.  Kind of shocking to me that no one has marked it for development. Clip from smeagolsfree's stellar development map.

image.png.c3e4314793cc3c932320bef03b22b84e.png

Edited by Nashville Cliff
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I'm curious, has anyone heard anything about this big parking lot on Main, across the street from the Hot Yoga and the Fieldhouse Jones Hotel? Between Weiss Liquors and the storage building that also houses Yeast Nashville.  Kind of shocking to me that no one has marked it for development. Clip from smeagolsfree's stellar development map.

image.png.c3e4314793cc3c932320bef03b22b84e.png

It is part of the property owned by the folks immediately to the west (a large 3 story warehouse structure that has been converted to numerous office, commercial, and retail spaces over the past decade or so). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, markhollin said:

It is part of the property owned by the folks immediately to the west (a large 3 story warehouse structure that has been converted to numerous office, commercial, and retail spaces over the past decade or so). 

I assumed they were the owners, but I just find it curious that they or no one else have proposed a big project for that site. Seems ripe.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I assumed they were the owners, but I just find it curious that they or no one else have proposed a big project for that site. Seems ripe.

Very ripe! Tornado and pandemic delayed a lot of stuff. My pure guess is the owner is waiting for the right time, and an offer that can't be refused. With Oracle's campus in play, I'd imagine that many property owners who don't NEED to sell, and who don't have a desire to develop, might hang on a bit to see further appreciation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

1012 Main St. (3 stories, 21 residential units) update: white paint job of brick/cladding nearing completion.

Looking SW from Forrest Ave., 1/2 block east of Main St:

1012 Main, July 6, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking south from intersection of Forrest Ave. and Main St:

1012 Main, July 6, 2021, 2.jpeg

Looking NE from Main St., just east of South 10th St:

1012 Main, July 6, 2021, 3.jpeg

Man I know the renderings had this in white, but I really liked the red brick on this.

• Like 3

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Davidson East: Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory
7 hours ago, markhollin said:

More details emerging about the Porter Hill complex (multiple 3 & 4 story buildings, 750 units, retail/restaurant space on 19.9 acres) at 1500 Porter Rd.  Developer Cumberland Properties, which now own the land, is planning on razing the existing 195 Section-B  affordable housing units in the complex known as Berkshire Place (which is over 50 years old). The new complex will be market rate rents, so many of the existing residents will be priced-outCumberland has plans to build a new 220 unit Section-8 complex on North Dupont Ave. in Madison to be called Birchstone Village, and may be able to relocate many of the residents there, if they are interested. 

Councilperson Emily Benedict, who oversees District 7 where this is located, says, "My focus right now is making sure that every Berkshire resident has a chance to give feedback before opening up discussion to the broader community,” Benedict said. “Later this summer or early fall, there will then be many community meetings as the plan moves forward to a Metro Planning Commission hearing and a Council vote.”

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/hud-to-decide-fate-of-east-nashville-housing-complex/article_3cf3e594-df65-11eb-aff8-0786398e3a05.html

Porter Hill,  July 7, 2021, render 1.png

Porter Hill,  July 7, 2021, render 2.png

Porter Hill,  July 7, 2021, render 3.png

Porter Hill,  July 7, 2021, render 4.png

Porter Hill,  July 7, 2021, diagram.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Porter Hill,  July 7, 2021, site map.png

A  diagram of Birchstone Village in Madison:

Birchstone Village, July 7, 2021, diagram.png

I worry about this one and how it will do in the court of public opinion. 

• Like 3

^^^^

15 years ago when I moved to the area I would go to nearly every gas station on the hunt for craft beer because you could find some diamonds in the rough.   While it's not necessary anymore as distribution has gotten better, the gas station in that little triangle surrounded by Cahal/Branch/Porter was one place I would never go because of how much violence occurred there.  Maybe from the apartments, maybe not but I wasn't going to find out.  Anecdotal for sure but that was my experience.

• Like 1

Markham East is laying out water lines for their development in Donelson with access off Lebanon Pike & Fitzgerald Drive. Sewer looks further along. From Donelsonwood & Fitzgerald, you can see Novo Donelson, the Music City STAR commuter rail line, the storage facility, & Todd Knob in the distance (from L-R). It would be a shame not to connect a greenway along the rail from Stewarts Ferry Pike to Fitzgerald on to Donelson Pike & the tiny greenway connection to Donelson Station. Otherwise, Mt Juliet would be beating us on greenway access to rail stations.

Also, I don't recall ever hearing about a teardown storage facility anywhere. What kind of price will it take to teardown the storage facility to convert to mixed use or high density residential?

IMG_20210709_183323_920.jpg

• Like 3

If its one of those cheap little things like has been built in the burbs for the longest a bulldozer could have it down in half a day. Even if it was a big one, as they are usually just metal shells. Tearing down a building is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things compared to the pay back you get with residential.

They are now building a lot more of the multistory projects, butt those are not very numerous in the burbs.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

If its one of those cheap little things like has been built in the burbs for the longest a bulldozer could have it down in half a day. Even if it was a big one, as they are usually just metal shells. Tearing down a building is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things compared to the pay back you get with residential.

They are now building a lot more of the multistory projects, butt those are not very numerous in the burbs.

Your comment gives me hope that the math will work for a developer there though the teardown cost isn't a problem. The loss of storage revenue will be the bigger cost for someone wanting to make that change. One would probably have to buy the business to shutter it or offer another property to relocate it. Hopefully, Markam East, the two developments planned across Lebanon Pike, & the residential  adaptive reuse development  planned for Donelson Plaza can make that seem possible. I have high hopes that our existing commuter rail will densify through more transit oriented development (TOD) around the Downtown Donelson UDO.

• Like 1