Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The nearly 1 acre site at 829-835 Dickerson Rd. seems to finally be moving forward with what appears to be a 4 story project featuring a hotel, with some restaurant and retail space according to water and sewer permit requests. The new developer is 829-D, which is headed up by. Aaron Armstrong of Armstrong Real Estate Group, which is based on Dickerson Pike. They paid $1.13 million for the site in 2019.  Originally a mixed-use residential project had been planned there.  No renderings of the new hotel. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/notes-work-to-start-on-charlotte-park-mixed-use-project/article_2c90450a-1d5c-11ec-9188-af4a436f9912.html

This screen shot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

829 835  Dickerson Rd, Jun, 2019, site map.png

Here is the original SP Package that was put together by Pfeffer Torode Archtiects.

http://maps.nashville.gov/sp/2020/2020SP-018/SP_2020SP-018.pdf

Additionally, looking at the approved SP Ordinance, the maximum allowed hotel rooms will be 100 rooms. STR is completely prohibited. No vehicular access from Dickerson (WIN!), everything will be off the Alley and the developer will have to build fences for the neighbors adjacent to alley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/18/2021 at 8:31 PM, grilled_cheese said:

not inhabited by any natives

What does that matter? I'm not a native and I'm guessing a good portion of the members here aren't either. It certainly doesn't imply that we don't care about how Nashville develops.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, Nashville Cliff said:

It will make the expansion of that part of the interstate impossible

Good. We need to stop widening the interstates and invest in transit instead.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 4:56 PM, AronG said:

"Gentrification" doesn't lead to larger houses with fewer occupants.

No necessarily larger homes, but few persons per dwelling unit - and that results in population remaining flat or slightly decreasing in the early stages of gentrification. See: CD5 2010-2020. Later, as land values increase, we see densification via MF and slight increases in total population.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

No necessarily larger homes, but few persons per dwelling unit - and that results in population remaining flat or slightly decreasing in the early stages of gentrification. See: CD5 2010-2020. Later, as land values increase, we see densification via MF and slight increases in total population.

My whole point was that scenarios like CD5 are not caused by "gentrification" though. They're caused by zoning restrictions, which funnel development towards high-$ renovations instead of adding housing. Pre-zoning (roughly 1920s), neighborhoods "gentrified" without depopulating, because builders added housing gradually as demand grew. Now we turn high-demand inner neighborhoods into rich enclaves which are inaccessible to young families and gradually depopulate. Meanwhile we allow new housing only on the unpleasant corridors, which take a while to make up the difference with young professionals.

21 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

This is all to say that historic urban neighborhoods in the early 20th Century Nashville did not become dense, walkable and complete mixed-use communities through the supposed benevolent forces of an efficient market until zoning got in the way and ruined everything. And it is not necessarily the case that simply rezoning everything to multifamily or mixed use solves all housing supply and social issues.

Thanks, Brett.  A master class. Not much I would add other than to say while it is fashionable in certain circles to bash all zoning, it is important to remember that zoning and planning were in large part responses to the ineffectiveness and high court costs of nuisance laws in settling property disputes. People are too quick to throw out the current system without first considering the problems it was in turn addressing.

• Like 2

I realize this could be a sub-post to dozens of projects in East Nashville, but the Oldacre McDonald hotel painting it was did it in for me.  It's a fine pale yellow brick.  No maintenance.  Speaks to the natural peculiarities of that particular brick.  Not a great color...not bad.  Been waiting on them to start painting it so I can be outraged.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:05 AM, CandyAisles said:

I realize this could be a sub-post to dozens of projects in East Nashville, but the Oldacre McDonald hotel painting it was did it in for me.  It's a fine pale yellow brick.  No maintenance.  Speaks to the natural peculiarities of that particular brick.  Not a great color...not bad.  Been waiting on them to start painting it so I can be outraged.

Well the pale yellow brick is officially white. Just drove by and the whole building has been painted white lol. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

New imagery for the 1105 Fatherland Street Redevelopment (former Martins Grocery Store). Handsome face lift to the exterior. Will be interested to see if the two future tenant slots hold true. Southeast Venture is the Architect and Doster Construction is the General Contractor.

950382226_1105FatherlandStreet-ExteriorRendering.thumb.png.171cd51970f5059b98a006aed2484ae6.png

Current exterior façade.

image.thumb.png.6dfdd5f06efd174a4b83a4ce3c75078b.png

Phasing plan shows a Community Center and Canvas Restaurant being located in the other tenant slots, but they are not part of the current permitted build-out.

31345209_1105FatherlandStreet-PhasingPlan.thumb.png.b7c6a9dad3986d36d02a92929afb916b.png

Not the plans submitted to the next door neighbors when needing a zoning change on the parking lot. 

I hate to rock your world, but here is the building permit.

REHAB, 1105 FATHERLAND ST. $2,704,767.00

Permit #2020078114

Permit Type DescriptionBuilding Commercial - Shell

Permit Subtype DescriptionMedical Office, Professional Services

Parcel08313003700

Date Entered12/15/2020

Date Issued09/30/2021

Construction Cost$2,704,767.00

Address1105 FATHERLAND ST

CityNASHVILLE

StateTN

ZIP37206

Subdivision / LotPT LOT 85 E. EDGEFIELD ADDN.

ContactDOSTER CONSTRUCTION CO INC

Permit TypeCACH

Permit SubtypeCAE04B016

IVR Tracking #3906118

PurposeThe rehabilitation of an existing single-story masonry building on a 0.97 acre lot. Project scope includes limited demolition of the existing building in preparation for new openings and roof. The project also includes exterior improvements and associated site work for a multi-tenant shell building. There will be four tenant build-outs within the building's existing footprint under separate permits. In association with Grading Permit #2020073799 POC KEVIN LIEGBEL 615-250-8678