Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Can't speak to the objectives of TDOT, but I understand the rerouting part of that project is to expand/align airport property with the terminal expansion and ground traffic around it.  I haven't driven on a lot of the DDIs (just the several around Atlanta), but I must admit that I still have not seen how they actually help the flow of traffic. 

• Like 1

Maple Grove (3 stories, 43 townhomes, 5 single family homes) on 3.54 acres at 218 Maplewood Trace has released a rendering. Construction should commence in July,  with everything being complete by fall of 2023.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/04/04/maple-grove-legacy-south.html

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/pre-sales-begin-for-48-home-development-on-north-side/article_09ca013c-b456-11ec-a6c3-c3d1458bc0f7.html

And at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/04/05/new-residential-development-unveiled-near-dickerson-pike-in-east-nashville/

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 12.55.38 PM.png

Maple Grove, April 5, 2022, render.png

Maple Grove, April 6, 2022, render.png

Maple Grove, April 6, 2022, diagram.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, markhollin said:

Maple Grove (3 stories, 43 townhomes, 5 single family homes) on 3.54 acres at 218 Maplewood Trace has released a rendering. Construction should commence in July,  with everything being complete by fall of 2023.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/04/04/maple-grove-legacy-south.html

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 12.55.38 PM.png

They have been doing site work for several months now. Getting the new road cut in and all the needed sewer/water/electrical components in place. Not too shabby looking really as this is the first architecture we have seen on it.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, markhollin said:

900 at Cleveland Park (7 stories, 255 units) has new renderings:

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 1.png

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 2.png

686689207_900ClevelandParkApril82022render3.png

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 4.png

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 5.png

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 6.png

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 7.png

900 Cleveland Park, April 8, 2022, render 8.png

Went by the site this morning - sorry no pics - and they are getting a bit of depth on the site. Saw a construction worker clearing tracks of an excavator as there is a ton of mud from the rain this week. 

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Envision Cayce, Boscobel IV/Cherry Hill Apts. (4 stories, 96 units) update: Amazon is in talks to contribute $7.1 million dollars in low-interest loans to MDHA to assist in the creation of affordable housing in Nashville.  This is part of their $75 million commitment to developers made last June. Total cost on this phase is $33.4 million. The site has been cleared, and construction work should begin in the next several months. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2022/04/08/amazon-nashville-tennessee-affordable-housing-development/9500773002/?utm_source=tennessean-Daily Briefing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily_briefing_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb&utm_content=1056TN-E-NLETTER65

Some new renderings:

Envision Cayce, Boscobel IV, Cherry Oak Apts, April 9, 2022, render 1.png

Envision Cayce, Boscobel IV, Cherry Oak Apts, April 9, 2022, render 2.png

How is "low-interest loans" part of a money commitment? I'm sure that was a well applauded idea in the board room. I can see the conversation going something like this, "New idea for community support! We will pledge X millions of dollars to the city, but then make them part of a low interest loan program. That way we can write off X millions of dollars while also making some guaranteed money off a municipal program." *Standing ovation from the board members*.

Why not just donate the money to the Barnes Fund and earmark it for Boscobel?

• Like 3

On 2/18/2022 at 3:32 PM, markhollin said:

18-22 Ligon Ave. will be a 7 story residential development including 54 units, 2,100 sq. ft. of commercial space, 4,000 sq. ft. of restaurant space, and a 113 capacity below grade on .55  acre. Randy Arnold will be the developer; H. Michael Hindman Architects are in charge of design;  Harpeth Civil Inc. is overseeing engineering; Heibert + Ball are in charge of landscape architecture.  The team will appear before MDHA Design Review Committee on March 1st to seek concept plan approval.

More behind theNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-building-planned-for-east-side-site/article_f8ec77f2-90f9-11ec-8773-1b3580f985a2.html

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, render 1.png

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, render 2.png

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, render 3.png

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, render 4.png

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, diagram.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, site map.png

On 3/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, markhollin said:

Randy Arnold will go before the MDHA Design Review Committee on April 5th to seek approval for the 8 story, 54 unit mixed-use structure at 18-22 Logon Ave. off of Dickerson Pike that will also feature 2,100 sq. ft. of office space, 4,000 sq. ft. for a restaurant, and an internal garage on a .55 acre site.  H. Michael Hindman Architects is in charge of design.  No timetable given yet.  A new rendering is below.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mdha-to-vote-on-lower-broad-building-plan/article_c91052de-ac64-11ec-8187-83c81229ec3d.html

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

18-22 Ligon Ave, Feb 18, 2022, site map.png

On 2/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, Bos2Nash said:

Short answer Ron is, yes –IMO –  they will need to do a height variance/zoning revision.

Similar to the Riverchase Apartment redevelopment, this parcel (or series of three parcels) falls into the Dickerson South Study Area so there is different subdistricts up and down the corridor. The recent development of Fern Ave definitely hampered the future height of this parcel. According to Parcel Viewer, this site is limited to 6 stories along Ligon Ave and steps DOWN to 4 stories as it moves north (see red circle in the map below from the Dickerson South Plan. The 6 stories is about the 1/3 of the parcel and the 4 is the back 2/3 of the site. The corridor plan actually state that a building should step down as it approaches a less dense subdistrict and this one is technically stepping up. Technically the the MUG-A zoning within the T4-MU could allow for a zoning revision up to 12 stories, but that would have to be a revision to the current zoning.

The notion of more dense the closer we get to the highway is correct, but that only goes up to Ligon Ave. As I stated, the development of the house along Fern Ave caused a taper in density from the twelve story down to 6 and then 4. The plan also calls for added height as we get closer to Trinity Lane (there is also a proposed Collector street that connects Whites Creek to Trinity).

image.png.8e19b1504f302021973a706339be3826.png

image.png.5da33224b826685b17a0a17172e3fa24.png

The design is also being very strategic about their level designations probably because of the zoning. Technically they have gone 4 stories up against Ligon (which is the frontage zoned for 6) and stepping back to jump up in height (the opposite of the intent of the zoning here). Also they have called out Level 5 having a Mezzanine which does not count as a building story in the eyes of codes/zoning. This way the rooftop amenity is technically on the 6th floor. So I see the argument being made by the development team that they are within the zoning height, but have flipped the parcel. Personally I don't know how that will fly. Additionally, we are looking at 94' of height for a building that will abut structure that are limited to 3 stories (so approximately 35 to 45 feet). Looking at the contours of the parcel as well we are probably looking at the 94' feet starting about 6' to 10' below the presumed floor elevation of the houses along Fern. So best case scenario we have a house height of 55' abutting 94' of building height (that math is VERY ROUGH), but a 40' height difference is tough, especially with only a 20' wide buffer. 

image.thumb.png.eb139df6b926d46c5e2a27f37109d99b.png

IMO if this project was proposed on the south side of Ligon Ave it would have a much easier time getting approved. But because it is on the north side of Ligon it will face stiffer opposition. Even if they flipped the design to have the taller parts up against Ligon Ave. That would present another challenge though because of the minor status that Ligon Ave has. If it was more of a major street the height would be considered appropriate, but due to the minor status the design is stepping back to stay contextual to the street. 
I think it is a sharp design, and would definitely like to see projects like this in the city, but I don't think it is appropriate for the site in its current state.

If folks are confused by this explanation I would be happy to elaborate on at a meetup, but if nothing else it starts to show how much developers and designers have to work through from a built environment standpoint to make projects work. 

IMHO I do not see this project getting the modification required to build as tall as they are proposing. If they were proposing the 7 stories only on the Ligon fronting portion of the property, then it would be a maybe. but because they are stepping the tallest part of the building back from the tall zoning and up against the SFH along Fern, I do not see it happening.

I was thinking the grade may play a larger impact at the property line between the houses and this project, but it is alot less impactful than I anticipated. This development will essentially over double the height of these houses. 

IMG_5488.thumb.jpeg.7736a0552d1180d6b53d1d80c1471d39.jpeg

Flip the whole project to front Ligon (which is a tiny street and will need improvements anyways for this development) so that it is four/five stories near the houses and have the tall portion of the project front Ligon and it would stand more of a chance. 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:34 PM, MLBrumby said:

Can't speak to the objectives of TDOT, but I understand the rerouting part of that project is to expand/align airport property with the terminal expansion and ground traffic around it.  I haven't driven on a lot of the DDIs (just the several around Atlanta), but I must admit that I still have not seen how they actually help the flow of traffic. 

I understand that one of the biggest benefits of a DDI is a >50% reduction in perpendicular (T-bone) accidents. With a traditional diamond interchange, every ramp has a 90° turn signal into an oncoming lane; a DDI eliminates this by having all ramp traffic - on or off - merge or diverge. Most accidents will likely be side-swipes. 

Now you’re probably right that the traffic flow benefits may not be realized since we still have to contend with traffic signals that could back up onto the ramps. But, the safety benefits will be evident. 

• Like 4

900 at Cleveland Park (7 stories, 255 units) update: more excavation.

Looking NE from the parking lot of Superior Distribution, 1/1 block north of Cleveland St:

900 Dickerson, April 9, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking SE from the parking lot of Superior Distribution, 1/1 block north of Cleveland St:

900 Dickerson, April 9, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking north from Cleveland St., 1/4 block west of Dickerson Rd:

81778504_900DickersonApril920223.thumb.jpeg.26bd36daa65a3639d417038046ddc131.jpeg

• Like 2

Wood Partners is looking at another residential project of 256 units on several acres at 1301 Lebanon Pike.  Gray Line Bus Tours had their HQ on the site up until a few months ago. Wood Partners still has to purchase the property form Mike Schmerling. No renderings yet. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/atlanta-developer-plans-project-near-mt-olivet-cemetery/article_7412de98-b9d7-11ec-92b2-2f9196436400.html

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 7.49.11 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saw these sewer, water, storm water maps in a real estate listing. Does anyone know where to find the maps?  Obviously it’s Metro Water Services but I cannot find a link to the overall map. 

Help a brother out with a direct link if you know. Thank You 

C70DE6C1-C943-4E22-A892-E6E08AC21EEF.jpeg

5411BCD3-F3C3-4D35-B3B7-B8E3F248F7CA.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

1500 Porter is on the map. You can't miss it. The Madison site may not be as I am unsure where it is.

Sorry - I meant the maps.Nashville.gov/developmenttracker/ map.

The Madison site is at 616 N DuPont Ave (0 N DuPont Ave on parcel viewer). They may not need a zoning change. 

• Like 2

Got Ya. It will show up tomorrow, along with most of the other SP's and DTC's, Community Plans, etc.

4 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Sorry - I meant the maps.Nashville.gov/developmenttracker/ map.

The Madison site is at 616 N DuPont Ave (0 N DuPont Ave on parcel viewer). They may not need a zoning change. 

Is the Dupont Ave project going across the street from the Park??? 

• Like 2