Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

26 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The Columns and 2nd floor plate were all pre-cast parts that were delivered to site what feels like a month ago. I would expect they are going to finish the CMU core and then the rest of the building is to be wood framed.

According to the permit, it will be 11 total residential units. Eight 2-bedrooms and three1-bedrooms.

I'm sure they will make fantastic STR units, but no one will be living there.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

When this project was presented to the MDHA Design Review Committee the architect from Powell stated that these would be residential apartments and not STRs. Of course, STRs are permitted in the base zoning and the East Bank Redevelopment District was written so long ago that nobody thought that there would be hotel room demand in East Nashville beyond what a handful of traditional historic bed and breakfasts could offer. But while the base zoning permits STRa and the redevelopment district is silent on them, the architect stated to the DRC that these would be apartments and would share the parking lot with the office building that Powell also designed across McFerrin.

The DRC is asking more often that these projects write into their deed that there wouldn't be STR's allowed.  I know I've run into that in apartments I've been working on...happy to have that restriction as a resident.  But would like to know if the downtown apartments have the same scrutiny as the apartments in our little neighborhoods...or are we punting on affordability for a bit longer?

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, WebberThomas4 said:

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/4149254?page=1&searchText=Porter rd&searchCode=ADDR&searchType=permit&orderBy=projectName ASC

According to this permit,  ICON Entertainment is working on a new concept in the old Southern Grist spot on Porter Rd.

They have an apparel shop. I REALLY hope they don't put their apparel shop here. This needs to be something that benefits the neighborhood.

• Like 3

The site where U.S. 41 (a collection of small eateries with a shared campus on .6 acre) at 2801 Dickerson Pike has been sold by a Tyler Cauble/Keith Leman group to Greg Farricielle of Benchmark Realty for $2.1 million.  No word on the latter's plans.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/dickerson-pike-site-sells-for-2-1m/article_83227fd8-c706-11ec-b55f-43604dcb7572.html

1218-1236 Dickerson (4 stories? 300 units?) update: Nearly all of the the structures razed and land cleared, except for small salvage company building facing Dickerson.

Looking SW from Dickerson Pike, just south of Ligon Ave:

1218-1236 Dickerson, April 9, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking south from Dickerson Pike, just south of Ligon Ave:

1218-1236 Dickerson, April 9, 2022, 2.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

Status Dough has locations in Knoxville in addition to this one in East Nashville. I am not familiar enough with Knoxville to know whether or not those locations are close to chain stores as competition. My guess is that a Dunkin Donuts would be packed, particularly with traffic from in-bound morning commuters, but that the local shops would still be fine.

Similar to the Starbucks. To date, I haven’t heard of any local East Nashville coffee shops closing.

Donut Distillery has raised its profile with a diversity of offerings and events inside the building and in the parking lot. Five Daughters Bakery and East Park Donuts are located in different mini-submarkets and should be fine. 

My prediction is also that native East Nashvillians will continue to lament the long-gone Krispy Kreme at Greenwood/Gallatin as though that had been a local independent shop. Nostalgia can be powerful.

It is regrettable that the Gallatin Road UDO that replaced the SP strips out all of the urban placement requirements of even the base zoning on Gallatin. The 7-Eleven is built to the sidewalk and includes a greatly widened sidewalk but is in no way pedestrian focused. Despite its placement that building does the opposite of activating the street. The same would have been true of the original plan for the Publix circa 2007.

That block of Gallatin from Petway to Granada is in need of some new energy in addition to Hearts.

Well, it really needs a 5-story mixed use building lining the block, but assembling  enough parcels to do that  would be difficult.

While it does not advance the desire to make Gallatin more walkable, this project doesn’t necessarily make things worse. Even most of the local restaurants that have popped up on Gallatin still have the pull-in parking lots that were grandfathered in with the existing buildings that were repurposed. I’m sure that NDOT will be taking a close look at this site plan. 

@bwithers1 speaking of the former Krispy Kreme site, is HG Hill still planning something for this site or are they just going to let it sit vacant for years? Hopefully it’s the former but I’m scared it’s the latter considering all of their other projects (Germantown and Piggly Wiggly on West End).