Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

On 4/30/2022 at 3:13 PM, AronG said:

I've never managed to fully understand all the incentives and requirements buried in the UDO vs. the SP vs. the base zoning, but the results are sadly clear lately. Instead of harnessing the new development interest along Main St/Gallatin/Dickerson to add amenities and improvements that lay in the new density in ways that make the areas more pleasant, walkable, transit-friendly, and lively,  we're making it easiest for developers to just cram in more car-focused development. So instead of thriving pedestrian districts with human-focused streetscapes, we're getting drive-throughs, gas stations, and parking garages, often fronting the corridor with long stretches of pedestrian dead space. I'm always optimistic that one day the tide will turn, but it's a sad failure of city planning that we're seeing these patterns this close to downtown. Each one locks us into the current dead end a little harder, ensuring most people will continue to have little choice but to drive everywhere they go, and we can all look forward to more traffic and an even more pedestrian-hostile streets.

The Gallatin Road SP that would have required buildings be constructed to the sidewalk was thrown out by the court. The Gallatin Road UDO which makes even many base zoning requirements optional was put in place instead. That was during the 2011-2015 term before I was elected, so I’m not certain what all went into that process.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

@bwithers1 speaking of the former Krispy Kreme site, is HG Hill still planning something for this site or are they just going to let it sit vacant for years? Hopefully it’s the former but I’m scared it’s the latter considering all of their other projects (Germantown and Piggly Wiggly on West End).

I haven’t received any recent updates about plans for that parcel.

On 4/19/2022 at 11:43 AM, BeaveStirs said:

Do we know if there will be any connection between this and the Alta development to make access from trinity better?

It seems like no (unfortunately), but the permits for The Station by Alta shows a paved road that seems to terminate near the northwest corner of the Laurel & Pine parcel. Someone smarter than me could probably identify how much elevation gap there is between the two parcels.

Alta: (top right corner here is the southwest corner of the parcel, adjacent to Laurel & Pine)

image.thumb.png.3ab752a81bb9f8fb23a08d83e7c334f4.png

Laurel & Pine: (top left corner here is the northwest corner, adjacent to Alta's road)

image.thumb.png.697bb2ea7683b94026a495d57240f015.png

Edited by andywildman
  • Like 3

On 4/19/2022 at 11:43 AM, BeaveStirs said:

Do we know if there will be any connection between this and the Alta development to make access from trinity better?

2 hours ago, andywildman said:

It seems like no (unfortunately), but the permits for The Station by Alta shows a paved road that seems to terminate near the northwest corner of the Laurel & Pine parcel. Someone smarter than me could probably identify how much elevation gap there is between the two parcels.

Alta: (top right corner here is the southwest corner of the parcel, adjacent to Laurel & Pine)

image.thumb.png.3ab752a81bb9f8fb23a08d83e7c334f4.png

Laurel & Pine: (top left corner here is the northwest corner, adjacent to Alta's road)

image.thumb.png.697bb2ea7683b94026a495d57240f015.png

The initial SP for Laurel and Pine shown a "potential" connection with the Woods Partner development, but clearly that never came to fruition. That would've most likely turned into a maintenance and ownership nightmare. There appears to also be about a 24" drop between the two developments. Personally, I don't believe we need a connection through there anyways. People will complain about traffic and backups because the railroad tracks, but in reality we live in a city and things like traffic and crap are a normal everyday occurrence. 

The road that extends south on the Wood Partner project isn't full pavement either. It is permeable pavers, that are not really meant for constant vehicle traffic, but rather lighter traffic loads. They built that road that deep into the site most likely for emergency vehicle access.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

The initial SP for Laurel and Pine shown a "potential" connection with the Woods Partner development, but clearly that never came to fruition. That would've most likely turned into a maintenance and ownership nightmare. There appears to also be about a 24" drop between the two developments. Personally, I don't believe we need a connection through there anyways. People will complain about traffic and backups because the railroad tracks, but in reality we live in a city and things like traffic and crap are a normal everyday occurrence. 

The road that extends south on the Wood Partner project isn't full pavement either. It is permeable pavers, that are not really meant for constant vehicle traffic, but rather lighter traffic loads. They built that road that deep into the site most likely for emergency vehicle access.

The emergency vehicle access makes sense as a reason to keep that vestigial “road”.

I’m with you that cities mean traffic. The need is for pedestrian connectivity - Laurel and Pine is getting a hip Brooklyn restaurant and Trinity is getting a bunch of new apartments. To walk from Trinity to  Laurel & Pine, you have to go all the way to Gallatin or all the way to Jones Ave. It’s like living in the burbs where you have to walk 2 miles to get to your backyard neighbor because they’re in a different subdivision.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, andywildman said:

The emergency vehicle access makes sense as a reason to keep that vestigial “road”.

I’m with you that cities mean traffic. The need is for pedestrian connectivity - Laurel and Pine is getting a hip Brooklyn restaurant and Trinity is getting a bunch of new apartments. To walk from Trinity to  Laurel & Pine, you have to go all the way to Gallatin or all the way to Jones Ave. It’s like living in the burbs where you have to walk 2 miles to get to your backyard neighbor because they’re in a different subdivision.

Yeah the access to Laurel & Pine, especially after the first restaurant announcement has me annoyed. I am in East Hill, so right by Carolyn and Fairwin, and have to walk out to Gallatin and down Delmas to access it. Love the neighborhood, but wish there was a way to walk from the end of Fairwin into the new development or even if Martha / Lee Davis connected all the way through Burchwood. Love the neighborhood, but all the dead ends become an annoyance at times. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, macdougall said:

Yeah the access to Laurel & Pine, especially after the first restaurant announcement has me annoyed. I am in East Hill, so right by Carolyn and Fairwin, and have to walk out to Gallatin and down Delmas to access it. Love the neighborhood, but wish there was a way to walk from the end of Fairwin into the new development or even if Martha / Lee Davis connected all the way through Burchwood. Love the neighborhood, but all the dead ends become an annoyance at times. 

Welcome to the forum, macdougall!  : )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andywildman said:

No what will happen is people living in Alta will now drive to Laurel & Pine a place that they could have walked and now we need parking... and it goes on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2