Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

6 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

With only a 24" change in grade it is really just a simple step across the property line (not like it is a trip wire or anything haha)

Oh lord I read that as 24’ the first time. At 24”, that’s what, three or four stairs? I’m way less bothered by not having a vehicle cut through.

my bad

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, macdougall said:

In regards to the Jane's Hideaway announcement, is this the first people are hearing about 308 Presents Camp as closing? 

Yes?  I didn't remember or I didn't know but that caught me by surprise as well.  When they changed their name I didn't think they were much longer for this world.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:30 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Yes?  I didn't remember or I didn't know but that caught me by surprise as well.  When they changed their name I didn't think they were much longer for this world.

The Camp concept was always intended to just run out the last two years of the lease but yeah I don’t know if that was ever made publicly explicit. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the negativism you are going to read, but this is really how I feel about connecting anything to a mall now or malls in general. I used to be in favor of downtown malls. No longer, that is a waist of energy to heat & cool. Just simple street activation retail is good enough along the lines of Fifth & Broad.

They must be desperate to drive business to that horrible place mentioned above. Malls....never go!   Reason to go ....None!   Green Hills Mall... Too Expensive , It's in Green Hills...always a pain to park! Opry Mills... too many issues with crime now & getting worse. 

All Malls... just flatten them all, take pictures and hang them in a museum. Again I apologize for being negative but I just can't help myself on this one.

• Like 3

Entirely respectfully, I think the Assembly Food Hall portion of 5th and Broad is pretty mall like even if the other retail parts are open air. Malls still have a place in climates, like ours where a significant numbers of shoppers aren't shopping outdoors when it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity as in June/July/August or when it 35 degrees and gray and damp as in December/January into February.  As antiquated as it sounds, I still go to the mall when it's bad weather(heat/cold/rain) and I just want to get out, and the Mall at Green Hills is pretty busy.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, Nash_12South said:

Entirely respectfully, I think the Assembly Food Hall portion of 5th and Broad is pretty mall like even if the other retail parts are open air. Malls still have a place in climates, like ours where a significant numbers of shoppers aren't shopping outdoors when it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity as in June/July/August or when it 35 degrees and gray and damp as in December/January into February.  As antiquated as it sounds, I still go to the mall when it's bad weather(heat/cold/rain) and I just want to get out, and the Mall at Green Hills is pretty busy.

I agree that Assembly Food Hall is very well done. Shopping/dining centers in urban centers that are open air or enclosed go back thousands of years in human history. The downtown Arcade is a mall. Covent Garden in London is a mall. Etc. 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, bwithers1 said:

The downtown Arcade is a mall. Covent Garden in London is a mall. Etc. 

You just named a couple of my favorite places.  I'd add the Reading Terminal Market in Philly,  the Bullring in d'town Birmingham, England (nostalgia b/c I lived nearby and shopped there regularly), the thousands of dining/shopping destinations throughout Japan's subway/train stations and adjoining malls. The biggest and best being Shinjuku. But VERY easy to get very lost!

Reading Terminal Market
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BHmdcxLKJNPCPvp8A

• Like 2

I see your point. It’s interesting how during the 1990s in response to the trend away from malls even then many cities/developers actually went BIGGER with malls. How many suburban malls does Nashville still have in business? Opry, green hills, galleria… is river gate still open? One of the nation’s largest mall owner/operators is based here. They’ve had to reorganize and turn to developing mall ‘out parcels’ but they’re doing what they can with many restaurants. They even brought in unique-to-Chattanooga stores/restaurants. And they own lots of land in other cities. 

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I see your point. It’s interesting how during the 1990s in response to the trend away from malls even then many cities/developers actually went BIGGER with malls. How many suburban malls does Nashville still have in business? Opry, green hills, galleria… is river gate still open? One of the nation’s largest mall owner/operators is based here. They’ve had to reorganize and turn to developing mall ‘out parcels’ but they’re doing what they can with many restaurants. They even brought in unique-to-Chattanooga stores/restaurants. And they own lots of land in other cities. 

Pretty much the malls just consolidated in Nashville. Hickory Hollow and Bellevue closed, Opry Mills and Green Hills (and Cool Springs) expanded and improved the experience. Rivergate is still hanging on, somehow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Sorry for the negativism you are going to read, but this is really how I feel about connecting anything to a mall now or malls in general. I used to be in favor of downtown malls. No longer, that is a waist of energy to heat & cool. Just simple street activation retail is good enough along the lines of Fifth & Broad.

They must be desperate to drive business to that horrible place mentioned above. Malls....never go!   Reason to go ....None!   Green Hills Mall... Too Expensive , It's in Green Hills...always a pain to park! Opry Mills... too many issues with crime now & getting worse. 

All Malls... just flatten them all, take pictures and hang them in a museum. Again I apologize for being negative but I just can't help myself on this one.

So if a product doesn't suit you, do away with it entirely? I'll never buy a boat (I get motion sick) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. I haven't been to a mall in years, but they certainly have their place (in the suburbs).

I will agree that in the 80's & 90's we went overboard with malls, but that seems very much less the case today.

• Like 2