Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

59 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

So if a product doesn't suit you, do away with it entirely? I'll never buy a boat (I get motion sick) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. I haven't been to a mall in years, but they certainly have their place (in the suburbs).

I will agree that in the 80's & 90's we went overboard with malls, but that seems very much less the case today.

They will be a thing of the past.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/25percent-of-us-malls-are-set-to-shut-within-5-years-what-comes-next.html

https://theweek.com/feature/briefing/1003385/the-retail-apocalypse

For one, I will not be sad when they do die because they were the reason Main Street USA died to start with. Turn about is fair play. I remember when I was young the downtowns of all cities were vibrant and healthy. Then the malls came and sucked the life out. The same thing happened when Wal Mart came to the even smaller cities. I would not shed a tear if they all disappeared tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

They will be a thing of the past.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/25percent-of-us-malls-are-set-to-shut-within-5-years-what-comes-next.html

https://theweek.com/feature/briefing/1003385/the-retail-apocalypse

For one, I will not be sad when they do die because they were the reason Main Street USA died to start with. Turn about is fair play. I remember when I was young the downtowns of all cities were vibrant and healthy. Then the malls came and sucked the life out. The same thing happened when Wal Mart came to the even smaller cities. I would not shed a tear if they all disappeared tomorrow.

I’d say that of all the reasons that urban downtowns decayed from the 1960s to the 1990s, shopping malls rank pretty low. Below, say, white flight and the crack epidemic. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8OidWOMxV/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

3 McFerrin Ave is a good looking building!

Yes,  Powell did a really nice job with that building. They also designed the apartment building that is being constructed across the street. That apartment building has a shared parking agreement with this building for some of the spaces in that rear lot. I am really impressed by the level of care that went into landscaping along the alley since it carries a fairly high amount of pedestrian activity.

There is also a BZA case next week for the parcel that has Lakeside Lounge (formerly Edgefield Sports Bar) upstairs and Pfeffer Torode Architecture downstairs at the alley level. The request is to construct an outbuilding at the alley that would contain a small restaurant incubator space. The mixed use zoning has a 20-foot rear setback requirement and this request is to construct the outbuilding there within that rear setback directly next to the alley. If approved and constructed, that restaurant space could further activate the alley there alongside Attaboy, etc.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nashville Barrel Company wants to add on to its whiskey operation at 222 Fesslers Lane with a new $2 million production, bottling, and finished goods facility at 809 Heathcote Ave. They purchased the lot a year ago for $1.85 million. A water capacity permit has been applied for.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/whiskey-business-looks-to-expand/article_3f34feb8-dc73-11ec-a2c5-6f1f8e8de133.html

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 7.13.17 AM.png

• Like 3

The Neo will be a 4 story, 23 unit boutique hotel on .6 acre at 245 Hermitage Ave. just south of the Railroad District to be developed by CET Holdings.  Centric Architecture is in charge of design; Dewy Engineering is overseeing land-planning; Avenue Construction will be the contractor. Preliminary site work is underway.  The hotel should be open by summer of 2023.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hermitage-avenue-site-set-for-boutique-hotel/article_69744dae-ddd2-11ec-81dd-23d954df769b.html

Neo Hotel, May 27, 2022, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

143090409_NeoHotelMay272022sitemap.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Neo will be a 4 story, 23 unit boutique hotel on .6 acre at 245 Hermitage Ave. just south of the Railroad District to be developed by CET Holdings.  Centric Architecture is in charge of design; Dewy Engineering is overseeing land-planning; Avenue Construction will be the contractor. Preliminary site work is underway.  The hotel should be open by summer of 2023.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hermitage-avenue-site-set-for-boutique-hotel/article_69744dae-ddd2-11ec-81dd-23d954df769b.html

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Basing any form of hospitality type design on The Matrix film franchise will be something else haha.

Interesting location for such an establishment. This is going to be STR Condos it appears - the same setup as The Muse at the corner of Lindsley and Hermitage which Centric did the design for and Avenue did the construction. They were issued their stormwater grading permit at the beginning of this month. The plans have been revised since the Water/Sewer last year to no longer incorporate the alley into the project.

The floor plans from last September were used for addressing purposes by the Fire Marshalls office.

1511331584_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-1.thumb.jpg.f1395fc7a798b35c76745a15855fcff1.jpg

746818779_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-2.thumb.jpg.f21953eb5a39cfea1a0a685815351308.jpg

1411184889_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-3.thumb.jpg.24ff25dec586c236cd3dce6b55a08963.jpg

799560844_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-4.thumb.jpg.8ae258add03949ff1ad7e7cfb99a3f88.jpg

885547074_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-5.thumb.jpg.94551ea57766bd441b97da12c7f9297d.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Perhaps an early indicator of the renaissance of that stretch of Hermitage Avenue, but the area definitely has no way to go but up.

(will being next door to Pecker’s Bar be a pro or con for this development?) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Kind od\f a dodgey location.  TThere is huge and naty homeless encampment just beyond the left photo under the interstate "Y".  Very dangerous area..

Donelson Plaza Residential (4 stories, 74 units, internal garage) update: three elevator shafts/stairwells going up; framing underway on first level.

Looking NW from Old Lebanon Rd. 1/4 block east of Knobview Drive:

Donelson Plaza Residential, May 28, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking NE from Old Lebanon Rd. 1/8 block east of Knobview Drive:

Donelson Plaza Residential, May 28, 2022, 2.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

This is a good location steps from Hunter’s Station. This is one of those long-vacant parcels that has needed something for a long time. This design is also a big improvement over what was approved next door. Having a sixth floor will make this project be the tallest building to date in that vicinity of East Nashville., so it should stand out in a good way. 

East Nashville, especially Gallatin Pike has seen very, very little change in 50 years.  There is a LOT of enertia.  Be patient.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 12:28 PM, markhollin said:

949 Main (6 stories, 75 units, internal garage) will go before MDHA Design Review Committee on June 7th for final approval.  A couple new renderings have been released.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/final-approval-sought-for-east-side-project/article_394557fe-dd46-11ec-bbc4-a7a4baa828e4.html

949 Main, May 27, 2022, render 1.png

949 Main, May 27, 2022, render 2.png

For those of us without access to the Nashville post, where on Main Street is this being planned?

2 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

For those of us without access to the Nashville post, where on Main Street is this being planned?

It is the white outlined, blue square below. Across the street from Main Street Liquors, Crazy Gnome Brewing and Gym 5

image.thumb.png.05d4e53fd6ec245e1735c65ec4e642d7.png

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, markhollin said:

More details on the 1500 Porter redevelopment of the Berkshire Place Apartment complex (20 acres) by Trent Development.  It will be presented at the May 26th Metro Planning Meeting.

More at  NashvilleNowNext:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/04/14/east-nashville-apartments-set-for-large-mixed-use-conversion/

The site as it looks currently:

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, site aerial.png

The plans:

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 1.png

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 2.png

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 3.png

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 4.png

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 5.png

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 6.png

1500 Porter, April 14, 2022, diagram 7.png

I attended a WebEx meeting on 05/16 regarding this development. While designs are no where close to being done, much of the information we have seen thus far is just for the overall SP submission and approval process. We had seen alot of this information, so I will trying highlighting what I believe to be new information.

• How many units existing? 195 units. Master plan proposes 700 units
  • Traffic increase along Cahal - there is a traffic study that will add traffic trips. No need for additional traffic signals. Looking at pedestrian improvements. Potential widening of Porter and Cahal for new curb and gutter. Road widening would only occur directly adjacent to the property and NDOT would be responsible for improvements leading up to the property (typical)
  • No plans to improve the Porter/Cahal triangle.
  • Grocery store space is around 8k to 10k square foot. Local supply type store. Supposedly a small Whole Foods/turnip truck. Grab and go/fresh produce. No talks with any actual tenants as of yet.
  • Approximate construction timeline 
    • Madison construction is slated to start summer 2022 with completion in 2023
    • Residents would then relocate to Madison (or other location)
    • 2024 likely slated for start of Porter. First delivery of phase I in 2026 with future phasing coming after (most likely)
  • The development team has a commitment to ZERO STR in the development. Included in the SP wording. Owner occupied or non-owner occupied. 
  • Bike lane separation? Striping only and not separated
  • Options for residents… third party team working with developer. 3 options of comparable options within the neighborhood. Moving expenses would be covered as of moving to Madison. Options for residents to stay during the phases. Residents who stay on the sight (and deal with construction) would be accepted vouchers. Unsure on exact numbers of “affordable” housing. Pursue a new PILOT for affordability as well. Residents will be allowed to “live where they want”
    • Developer self described as an affordable housing developer. Also owns the adjacent affordable housing property. 
  • CM Benedict is very supportive of the development. This is paramount to the SP process as a whole.
  • Development team is unsure on specific amenities within the development as the design is still very early design. 
  • Community Benefits Agreement
    • CM Benedict has not been approached about a CBA. CM Benedict has spoken with a number of non-profits in the area.
    • No direct contact with development team. Actively looking to improve the community with adding affordable units. 
    • Development team is hesitate about a CBA due to scale of their company. 
  • HUD Transfer has not been approved yet and will not be until at least Madison Development is done. 

The information packet also provided some insight into the Birchstone Development in Madison that would be the primary relocation site for existing residents. The new development would consist of 206 total units – 70 1-bedroom, 98 2-bedrooms, 28 3-bedrooms and 10 4-bedroom units.

Here is a rendered site plan that is available via the Planning Department.

BIRCHSTONE.thumb.png.a209d3ca00cec8f7cd836c7d564bcaee.png

Here is a clip of the location via Smeag's Development Map.

image.thumb.png.bd9f0137cb1c527eed6d85861a640d36.png

12 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

P.S. I will be changing my screen name soon. It soon won't be appropriate.  More info on that in a few weeks.

Potential move???

• Like 3