Jump to content

Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory


smeagolsfree

Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, bwithers1 said:

The downtown Arcade is a mall. Covent Garden in London is a mall. Etc. 

You just named a couple of my favorite places.  I'd add the Reading Terminal Market in Philly,  the Bullring in d'town Birmingham, England (nostalgia b/c I lived nearby and shopped there regularly), the thousands of dining/shopping destinations throughout Japan's subway/train stations and adjoining malls. The biggest and best being Shinjuku. But VERY easy to get very lost!

Reading Terminal Market
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BHmdcxLKJNPCPvp8A

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I see your point. It’s interesting how during the 1990s in response to the trend away from malls even then many cities/developers actually went BIGGER with malls. How many suburban malls does Nashville still have in business? Opry, green hills, galleria… is river gate still open? One of the nation’s largest mall owner/operators is based here. They’ve had to reorganize and turn to developing mall ‘out parcels’ but they’re doing what they can with many restaurants. They even brought in unique-to-Chattanooga stores/restaurants. And they own lots of land in other cities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I see your point. It’s interesting how during the 1990s in response to the trend away from malls even then many cities/developers actually went BIGGER with malls. How many suburban malls does Nashville still have in business? Opry, green hills, galleria… is river gate still open? One of the nation’s largest mall owner/operators is based here. They’ve had to reorganize and turn to developing mall ‘out parcels’ but they’re doing what they can with many restaurants. They even brought in unique-to-Chattanooga stores/restaurants. And they own lots of land in other cities. 

Pretty much the malls just consolidated in Nashville. Hickory Hollow and Bellevue closed, Opry Mills and Green Hills (and Cool Springs) expanded and improved the experience. Rivergate is still hanging on, somehow. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Sorry for the negativism you are going to read, but this is really how I feel about connecting anything to a mall now or malls in general. I used to be in favor of downtown malls. No longer, that is a waist of energy to heat & cool. Just simple street activation retail is good enough along the lines of Fifth & Broad.

They must be desperate to drive business to that horrible place mentioned above. Malls....never go!   Reason to go ....None!   Green Hills Mall... Too Expensive , It's in Green Hills...always a pain to park! Opry Mills... too many issues with crime now & getting worse. 

All Malls... just flatten them all, take pictures and hang them in a museum. Again I apologize for being negative but I just can't help myself on this one.

So if a product doesn't suit you, do away with it entirely? I'll never buy a boat (I get motion sick) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. I haven't been to a mall in years, but they certainly have their place (in the suburbs).

I will agree that in the 80's & 90's we went overboard with malls, but that seems very much less the case today.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

So if a product doesn't suit you, do away with it entirely? I'll never buy a boat (I get motion sick) but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. I haven't been to a mall in years, but they certainly have their place (in the suburbs).

I will agree that in the 80's & 90's we went overboard with malls, but that seems very much less the case today.

They will be a thing of the past.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/25percent-of-us-malls-are-set-to-shut-within-5-years-what-comes-next.html

https://theweek.com/feature/briefing/1003385/the-retail-apocalypse

For one, I will not be sad when they do die because they were the reason Main Street USA died to start with. Turn about is fair play. I remember when I was young the downtowns of all cities were vibrant and healthy. Then the malls came and sucked the life out. The same thing happened when Wal Mart came to the even smaller cities. I would not shed a tear if they all disappeared tomorrow.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

They will be a thing of the past.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/27/25percent-of-us-malls-are-set-to-shut-within-5-years-what-comes-next.html

https://theweek.com/feature/briefing/1003385/the-retail-apocalypse

For one, I will not be sad when they do die because they were the reason Main Street USA died to start with. Turn about is fair play. I remember when I was young the downtowns of all cities were vibrant and healthy. Then the malls came and sucked the life out. The same thing happened when Wal Mart came to the even smaller cities. I would not shed a tear if they all disappeared tomorrow.

I’d say that of all the reasons that urban downtowns decayed from the 1960s to the 1990s, shopping malls rank pretty low. Below, say, white flight and the crack epidemic. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8OidWOMxV/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
 

3 McFerrin Ave is a good looking building!

Yes,  Powell did a really nice job with that building. They also designed the apartment building that is being constructed across the street. That apartment building has a shared parking agreement with this building for some of the spaces in that rear lot. I am really impressed by the level of care that went into landscaping along the alley since it carries a fairly high amount of pedestrian activity.
 

There is also a BZA case next week for the parcel that has Lakeside Lounge (formerly Edgefield Sports Bar) upstairs and Pfeffer Torode Architecture downstairs at the alley level. The request is to construct an outbuilding at the alley that would contain a small restaurant incubator space. The mixed use zoning has a 20-foot rear setback requirement and this request is to construct the outbuilding there within that rear setback directly next to the alley. If approved and constructed, that restaurant space could further activate the alley there alongside Attaboy, etc.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nashville Barrel Company wants to add on to its whiskey operation at 222 Fesslers Lane with a new $2 million production, bottling, and finished goods facility at 809 Heathcote Ave. They purchased the lot a year ago for $1.85 million. A water capacity permit has been applied for.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/whiskey-business-looks-to-expand/article_3f34feb8-dc73-11ec-a2c5-6f1f8e8de133.html
 

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 7.13.17 AM.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Neo will be a 4 story, 23 unit boutique hotel on .6 acre at 245 Hermitage Ave. just south of the Railroad District to be developed by CET Holdings.  Centric Architecture is in charge of design; Dewy Engineering is overseeing land-planning; Avenue Construction will be the contractor. Preliminary site work is underway.  The hotel should be open by summer of 2023.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hermitage-avenue-site-set-for-boutique-hotel/article_69744dae-ddd2-11ec-81dd-23d954df769b.html
 

Neo Hotel, May 27, 2022, render.png


This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

143090409_NeoHotelMay272022sitemap.png

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Neo will be a 4 story, 23 unit boutique hotel on .6 acre at 245 Hermitage Ave. just south of the Railroad District to be developed by CET Holdings.  Centric Architecture is in charge of design; Dewy Engineering is overseeing land-planning; Avenue Construction will be the contractor. Preliminary site work is underway.  The hotel should be open by summer of 2023.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hermitage-avenue-site-set-for-boutique-hotel/article_69744dae-ddd2-11ec-81dd-23d954df769b.html
 

Neo Hotel, May 27, 2022, render.png


This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

143090409_NeoHotelMay272022sitemap.png

Basing any form of hospitality type design on The Matrix film franchise will be something else haha.

Interesting location for such an establishment. This is going to be STR Condos it appears - the same setup as The Muse at the corner of Lindsley and Hermitage which Centric did the design for and Avenue did the construction. They were issued their stormwater grading permit at the beginning of this month. The plans have been revised since the Water/Sewer last year to no longer incorporate the alley into the project.

The floor plans from last September were used for addressing purposes by the Fire Marshalls office.

1511331584_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-1.thumb.jpg.f1395fc7a798b35c76745a15855fcff1.jpg

746818779_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-2.thumb.jpg.f21953eb5a39cfea1a0a685815351308.jpg

1411184889_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-3.thumb.jpg.24ff25dec586c236cd3dce6b55a08963.jpg

799560844_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-4.thumb.jpg.8ae258add03949ff1ad7e7cfb99a3f88.jpg

885547074_245HermitageAveMixed-Use_Plans-5.thumb.jpg.94551ea57766bd441b97da12c7f9297d.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Neo will be a 4 story, 23 unit boutique hotel on .6 acre at 245 Hermitage Ave. just south of the Railroad District to be developed by CET Holdings.  Centric Architecture is in charge of design; Dewy Engineering is overseeing land-planning; Avenue Construction will be the contractor. Preliminary site work is underway.  The hotel should be open by summer of 2023.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hermitage-avenue-site-set-for-boutique-hotel/article_69744dae-ddd2-11ec-81dd-23d954df769b.html
 

Neo Hotel, May 27, 2022, render.png


This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

143090409_NeoHotelMay272022sitemap.png

Perhaps an early indicator of the renaissance of that stretch of Hermitage Avenue, but the area definitely has no way to go but up.

(will being next door to Pecker’s Bar be a pro or con for this development?) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Neo will be a 4 story, 23 unit boutique hotel on .6 acre at 245 Hermitage Ave. just south of the Railroad District to be developed by CET Holdings.  Centric Architecture is in charge of design; Dewy Engineering is overseeing land-planning; Avenue Construction will be the contractor. Preliminary site work is underway.  The hotel should be open by summer of 2023.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/hermitage-avenue-site-set-for-boutique-hotel/article_69744dae-ddd2-11ec-81dd-23d954df769b.html
 

Neo Hotel, May 27, 2022, render.png


This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

143090409_NeoHotelMay272022sitemap.png

Kind od\f a dodgey location.  TThere is huge and naty homeless encampment just beyond the left photo under the interstate "Y".  Very dangerous area..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Donelson Plaza Residential (4 stories, 74 units, internal garage) update: three elevator shafts/stairwells going up; framing underway on first level.

Looking NW from Old Lebanon Rd. 1/4 block east of Knobview Drive:

Donelson Plaza Residential, May 28, 2022, 1.jpeg


Looking NE from Old Lebanon Rd. 1/8 block east of Knobview Drive:

Donelson Plaza Residential, May 28, 2022, 2.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

This is a good location steps from Hunter’s Station. This is one of those long-vacant parcels that has needed something for a long time. This design is also a big improvement over what was approved next door. Having a sixth floor will make this project be the tallest building to date in that vicinity of East Nashville., so it should stand out in a good way. 

East Nashville, especially Gallatin Pike has seen very, very little change in 50 years.  There is a LOT of enertia.  Be patient.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

600 Stewarts Ferry (3 stories, 318 units) update: several structures topped-out.

Looking SW from Stewarts Ferry Pike near Lauer Drive:

600 Stewarts Ferry, May 28, 2022, 1.jpeg


Looking south from Stewarts Ferry Pike, 1/4 block east of McCrory Creek Drive:

600 Stewarts Ferry, May 28, 2022, 2.jpeg


Looking NW from Total Quality Logistics office park:

600 Stewarts Ferry, May 28, 2022, 3.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.