Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

3 minutes ago, Markitecture said:

Thank you! I've been perusing for a good half year and finally decided to join. I've lived in Nashville since '98, and the more recent construction changes are unreal. I love the site and updates in this forum!

Welcome!

No place like this place to get the scoops and latest news.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I don't know about that side but Riverside Golf was like 80% underwater during the '10 flood.  How steep are the cliffs near DuPont?  I know the cliffs down near Old Hickory Village are quite steep.

Riverside is downstream of Old Hickory Dam; their property is almost entirely within the FEMA 100-year floodplain. The DuPont property is upstream of the dam and so the flood levels are more or less limited to the lake footprint. The site does sit fairly high above the lake as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

DuPont, one of the world's largest chemical conglomerates, is looking to sell it 370 site in Old hickory that has considerable shoreline along theCumberland River. They still have a few operations on the large tract, but much of it is empty now.  It is currently zoned for industrial use.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/dupont-industrial-property-offered-for-sale/article_8e6f29fa-ec17-11ec-b94c-c37053fa9bd4.html

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.10.57 AM.png

How many acres is that?  Wonder if it might be big enough for Storyville Gardens.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Markitecture said:

How many acres is that?  Wonder if it might be big enough for Storyville Gardens.

There would need to be a lot of brownfield remediation. The tax credit for that is really good, though, especially with this level of investment!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Logan McCoy said:

There would need to be a lot of brownfield remediation. The tax credit for that is really good, though, especially with this level of investment!

Primo, primo, primo location. I like that area. Lunch last Sunday at Sam's at Blue Turtle Bay. Fishing with a bro a month ago right along that very shoreline. If viable remediation can be effected (I'm sure rezoning is a no-brainer), this would be a hella good residential and mixed use neighborhood. Or damn near anything else. Plus, it's close to Dupont Elementary, Dupont Middle School, Dupont Junior High, and Dupont High, LOL.

I used Google maps to make a very crude estimate of site acreage. I came up with 800 ac. +/- 15%. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nashvillain said:

Yeah, there is so much surface parking fronting that intersection plus a gas station. With those current uses, Metro would have to come up with some magical streetscaping to make it appealing. But if they did, maybe it would spur some investment in the underutilized lots. Although, I seem to remember that NIMBYs are strong in the 5-Points area and tend to fight anything more than two-stories and reductions in surface parking. 

Good for them!! I can't blame the concerned and native Nashvillians (not going to use the 'Nimby' slur) who want to preserve some of the original character of the 5 points neighborhood which has been and still is in many ways a town center for East Nashville and replace it with some crappy 12-South, cookie cutter, quasi boho, boring replica of every other neighborhood in the country that has a collection of original urban fabric buildings which have been replaced with some sad looking trees and some 8 story, soulless, unoriginal, night-time storage places for the 10's of thousands of code writing workers.

This neighborhood is a major part of what makes Nashville the Music City. It did have Woodland Studios on the corner, which would make an awesome museum and public performance hall but will probably be torn down if some have their way. The history of these studios.....

Located at 1011 Woodland Street, Nashville, Tennessee. Founded in 1966 by Glen Snoddy, Woodland Studios has been the source of some of Nashville’s greatest albums and songs. Notable artist who have recorded here include Willie Nelson, Ryan Adams, Waylon Jennings, Aretha Franklin, Neil Young, Robert Plant, Gordon Lightfoot, Loretta Lynn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The James Gang, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Johh Hiatt, The Staple Singers, Indigo Girls, Jimmy Buffett, Roy Clark, JJ Cale, Roy Acuff, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, The Neville Brothers, Emmylou Harris, Lefty Frizzell, Norman Blake, Sam Bush, Vassar Clements, Dolly Parton, Don Everly, Cracker, Link Wray, Robert Gordon, The Charlie Daniels Band, Linda Ronstadt, Kansas, Steve Forbert, Robyn Hitchcock, Conway Twitty, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard, Roger Miller, Oakridge Boys, Rosanne Cash, The Manhatten Transfer, Kelly Willis, Eddie Rabbit, George Strait, Jerry Lee Lewis, Shel Silverstein, Clint Black, Reba McEntire, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Hank III, Patsy Cline, Whiskey Town, Dawes, Al Greene, David Rawlings and Gillian Welch (the current owners)

Let what will naturally happen, happen. If the neighborhood wants a gas station and someone wants to own one, let it happen. If someone wants to have surface parking, so be it. The only time the city should step in is to restrict the development of these ugly apartment complexes going up everywhere in these areas and preserve critical elements of Nashville character and legacy such as Woodland studios before it becomes an unoriginal, lazy-a** planning collection of brass and fern bars or some 15-story monster called the "Woodland' in yet another pathetic attempt by a developer to use cultural appropriation as instant 'cred'.

This is a beautiful place as it is. It is a welcome place for all of the diverse cultures of the city. If it offends anyone, they can go to 12-South or several places in the Nations. Mayor Cooper needs to keep his hands and his 'planners' hands off 5-Points.

Adios.

Edited by MidTenn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, MidTenn1 said:

Good for them!! I can't blame the concerned and native Nashvillians (not going to use the 'Nimby' slur) who want to preserve some of the original character of the 5 points neighborhood which has been and still is in many ways a town center for East Nashville and replace it with some crappy 12-South, cookie cutter, quasi boho, boring replica of every other neighborhood in the country that has a collection of original urban fabric buildings which have been replaced with some sad looking trees and some 8 story, soulless, unoriginal, night-time storage places for the 10's of thousands of code writing workers.

This neighborhood is a major part of what makes Nashville the Music City. It did have Woodland Studios on the corner, which would make an awesome museum and public performance hall but will probably be torn down if some have their way. The history of these studios.....

Let what will naturally happen, happen. If the neighborhood wants a gas station and someone wants to own one, let it happen. If someone wants to have surface parking, so be it. The only time the city should step in is to restrict the development of these ugly apartment complexes going up everywhere in these areas and preserve critical elements of Nashville character and legacy such as Woodland studios before it becomes an unoriginal, lazy-a** planning collection of brass and fern bars or some 15-story monster called the "Woodland' in yet another pathetic attempt by a developer to use cultural appropriation as instant 'cred'.

This is a beautiful place as it is. It is a welcome place for all of the diverse cultures of the city. If it offends anyone, they can go to 12-South or several places in the Nations. Mayor Cooper needs to keep his hands and his 'planners' hands off 5-Points.

Adios.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1