Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, Buildtall said:

Anyone know what’s being built out by Opry mills, next to the entrance coming off Briley parkway?  I can’t seem to find anything on here about it. 

And a Cheesecake Factory is going into the space most recently occupied by Electronic Express in the mall. (That’s on the side that’s visible from Briley Parkway.)

• Like 2

I think Don is correct on both counts. I have seen the permits for both. We didn't report because no one cares about chain restaurants for the most part. Opry Mills is changing their model by selling out parcels to draw more numbers and increase traffic in more ways than one.

I still don't go there any longer. I stopped going to the movies during Covid and catch them on first run on HBO, Disney or Pay per view. A lot cheaper than what I spend at the theater on a ticket, popcorn and a drink...... about $30. Opry Mills nor any other mall has anything I need now. Amazon is my shopping mall for the most part. I cut the cord from Direct TV too and pay only $35 a month if that for what I want streaming and have an antenna on the house picking up HD TV.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive I only go out on special occasions and when I do it is with a local chain or restaurant, not a national chain.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buildtall said:

Anyone know what’s being built out by Opry mills, next to the entrance coming off Briley parkway?  I can’t seem to find anything on here about it. 

13 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Olive Garden, I believe.

Agree with Don as well. As smeags said, there have been some specific permits mentioning Olive Garden, but for some reason the location is obscured slightly as they mention a parcel but don't have a site plan it seems.

I mentioned back in March that I believe Olive Garden will be located here

On 3/25/2022 at 9:08 AM, Bos2Nash said:

Based on a recent request to abandon a certain stretch of water line and relocate a hydrant, I would guess that the Olive Garden would be located in the blue outlined area.image.thumb.png.d4c89766c518a21f0e1b267e66a9f9c1.png

I think it is a little outside the overlay.  The problem here is they are trying to get this passed while opposing the one across the street to the right with similar height. Sort of the same landowners involved with this project opposing that project because they were not informed. Sort of legitimate I suppose. The council person informed all of the property owners on the east side of Dickerson and none on the west side where the project at 1235 is located. I withhold judgement as I could say a lot.

• Like 1

I'll repost this from February when the project was announced. They are on the edge of the Dickerson South Study. They are at least providing an appropriate landscape buffer.

Upon closer look though, the parcel is zoned for MUG-A which would allow for 7 stories in 105' tall. It is technically 8 stories, but the fifth floor has a mezzanine which does not count towards story count, so it legally is seven floors (the roof terrace does count as a level by IBC code). MDHA will probably reject it as it surpasses the redevelopment district heights, but the developer can probably force it through because the height is technically by right. This is where working within the planning world is frustrating because of contradictory information.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, Bos2Nash said:

Short answer Ron is, yes –IMO –  they will need to do a height variance/zoning revision.

Similar to the Riverchase Apartment redevelopment, this parcel (or series of three parcels) falls into the Dickerson South Study Area so there is different subdistricts up and down the corridor. The recent development of Fern Ave definitely hampered the future height of this parcel. According to Parcel Viewer, this site is limited to 6 stories along Ligon Ave and steps DOWN to 4 stories as it moves north (see red circle in the map below from the Dickerson South Plan. The 6 stories is about the 1/3 of the parcel and the 4 is the back 2/3 of the site. The corridor plan actually state that a building should step down as it approaches a less dense subdistrict and this one is technically stepping up. Technically the the MUG-A zoning within the T4-MU could allow for a zoning revision up to 12 stories, but that would have to be a revision to the current zoning.

The notion of more dense the closer we get to the highway is correct, but that only goes up to Ligon Ave. As I stated, the development of the house along Fern Ave caused a taper in density from the twelve story down to 6 and then 4. The plan also calls for added height as we get closer to Trinity Lane (there is also a proposed Collector street that connects Whites Creek to Trinity).

image.png.8e19b1504f302021973a706339be3826.png

image.png.5da33224b826685b17a0a17172e3fa24.png

The design is also being very strategic about their level designations probably because of the zoning. Technically they have gone 4 stories up against Ligon (which is the frontage zoned for 6) and stepping back to jump up in height (the opposite of the intent of the zoning here). Also they have called out Level 5 having a Mezzanine which does not count as a building story in the eyes of codes/zoning. This way the rooftop amenity is technically on the 6th floor. So I see the argument being made by the development team that they are within the zoning height, but have flipped the parcel. Personally I don't know how that will fly. Additionally, we are looking at 94' of height for a building that will abut structure that are limited to 3 stories (so approximately 35 to 45 feet). Looking at the contours of the parcel as well we are probably looking at the 94' feet starting about 6' to 10' below the presumed floor elevation of the houses along Fern. So best case scenario we have a house height of 55' abutting 94' of building height (that math is VERY ROUGH), but a 40' height difference is tough, especially with only a 20' wide buffer. 

image.thumb.png.eb139df6b926d46c5e2a27f37109d99b.png

IMO if this project was proposed on the south side of Ligon Ave it would have a much easier time getting approved. But because it is on the north side of Ligon it will face stiffer opposition. Even if they flipped the design to have the taller parts up against Ligon Ave. That would present another challenge though because of the minor status that Ligon Ave has. If it was more of a major street the height would be considered appropriate, but due to the minor status the design is stepping back to stay contextual to the street. 
I think it is a sharp design, and would definitely like to see projects like this in the city, but I don't think it is appropriate for the site in its current state.

If folks are confused by this explanation I would be happy to elaborate on at a meetup, but if nothing else it starts to show how much developers and designers have to work through from a built environment standpoint to make projects work. 

On 4/9/2022 at 1:44 PM, Bos2Nash said:

IMHO I do not see this project getting the modification required to build as tall as they are proposing. If they were proposing the 7 stories only on the Ligon fronting portion of the property, then it would be a maybe. but because they are stepping the tallest part of the building back from the tall zoning and up against the SFH along Fern, I do not see it happening.

I was thinking the grade may play a larger impact at the property line between the houses and this project, but it is alot less impactful than I anticipated. This development will essentially over double the height of these houses. 

IMG_5488.thumb.jpeg.7736a0552d1180d6b53d1d80c1471d39.jpeg

Flip the whole project to front Ligon (which is a tiny street and will need improvements anyways for this development) so that it is four/five stories near the houses and have the tall portion of the project front Ligon and it would stand more of a chance. 

• Like 2

Looks like yet another mixed-use residential project is being planned for the Dickerson Pike corridor, this one at 121-133 Old Trinity Lane/110 Grizzard Ave., just NW of the intersection of Trinity Lane and Dickerson. Fred Hahn owns all the properties (homes) and is requesting a rezoning at the July 28th Metro Planning Commission meeting for mixed-use on the cumulative 8.7 acres.  Smith Gee is listed on a document as the architect, but no further details are available at this juncture. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-project-eyed-for-north-davidson-county/article_6d3e28a2-015d-11ed-ab79-9b68de8f10fd.html

1859664026_121-133OldTrinityLaneJuly122022site.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

985453576_121-133OldTrinityLaneJuly122022sitemap.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Just FYI, the 1235 Dickerson project has changed since then. The plan is 6 stories fronting Dickerson and 12 fronting Whites Creek.

map 1218-1235 dickerson.png

Gotcha. Don't think it impacts the Ligon development though. You can see the Dickerson South Plan height areas below. Blue outline is 4 stories, Red outline is 6 stories and the Green outline is 12 stories. The Ligon site is zoned for MUG-A which would allow the 7 stories. The 1235 site is CS zoned, so unless they go rezone/SP that is a fairly tight FAR to be constrained by.

image.thumb.png.b6986a892dabe6a05cf7fd48ea3b3db2.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Looks like yet another mixed-use residential project is being planned for the Dickerson Pike corridor, this one at 121-133 Old Trinity Lane/110 Grizzard Ave., just NW of the intersection of Trinity Lane and Dickerson. Fred Hahn owns all the properties (homes) and is requesting a rezoning at the July 28th Metro Planning Commission meeting for mixed-use on the cumulative 8.7 acres.  Smith Gee is listed on a document as the architect, but no further details are available at this juncture. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-project-eyed-for-north-davidson-county/article_6d3e28a2-015d-11ed-ab79-9b68de8f10fd.html

1859664026_121-133OldTrinityLaneJuly122022site.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

985453576_121-133OldTrinityLaneJuly122022sitemap.png

The development appears to be the wooded area between Gizzard and Old Trinity Lane. The map is showing two access points off Old Trinity, but I would think an access from Gizzard is also in play.

image.thumb.png.da8b9f2073e927e04d7386475c987424.png

They also are having to cancel a previously approved PUD (Planned Unit Development) that was approved for 299 residential units.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 10:05 AM, markhollin said:

Station by Alta (4-5 stories, 302 units, internal garage) update including new renderings, diagrams, and construction pics at NashvilleNowNext Here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/07/04/progress-at-the-station-by-alta-a-brand-new-302-unit-development-in-east-nashville/

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, render 1.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, render 2.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, render 3.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, diagram.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, 1.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, 2.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, 3.png

Station by Alta, July 4, 2022, 4.png

The pool looks amazing, until you realize all of Trinity Lane will be looking at you while you’re hanging out in your resort loungers. I think it’s below grade of the road, so there’s not much hiding you. 

• Like 1

Meridian Park (2 & 3 stories, 156 units) update: exterior of most buildings complete; roads driveways now open into the complex for the most part.

Looking SE from Meridian St., 1/4 block south of Edwin St:

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking east from Meridian St., 1/2 block south of Edwin St:

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking NE from Meridian St., 1/4 block north of Edith Ave:

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking north from Lischey Ave., 1/4 block north of Edith Ave:

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 4.jpeg

Looking SW from Lischey Ave., 1/4 block south of Edwin St:

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 5.jpeg

Various angles from within the complex:

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 6.jpeg

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 7.jpeg

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 8.jpeg

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 9.jpeg

Meridian Park, July 9, 2022, 10.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

People talk about de-regulating zoning/housing in order to let developers build "what the market dictates"? Well this is what that "market" dictates. Shamefully bad architecture (because of the decisions made by the developer). Developers will do the absolute bare minimum to make a buck. Design of our built environment should contribute to the overall psychology of the environment as well as the economic environment and this development really fails at that!

This is, quite honestly, painful to really look at.

I'm confused about your point. Does this project exist outside of zoning somehow? If parking weren't required, for instance, perhaps the developer could have used nicer materials or added a couple floors. If fire regulations didn't require multiple stairwells per unit, maybe it wouldn't be covered in exterior staircases. If Nashville allowed more diverse types of multi-family buildings, maybe the city wouldn't be peppered with 5 over 1s and whatever you call this... urban garden-style apartments (?). Seems like zoning's fingerprints are all over this one.

At the end of the day, it's not the most distinguished bit of architecture (slight understatement), but it's 156 units of housing that didn't exist before in a city badly in need of as much housing as it can get

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I'm confused about your point. Does this project exist outside of zoning somehow? If parking weren't required, for instance, perhaps the developer could have used nicer materials or added a couple floors.

I doubt if you could get nicer materials or a couple more floors for the price of that little blacktop parking lot!  I think Bos2Nash is right about this one, it's depressing just to look at!  There's no doubt that we need more housing but I don't feel bad about shaming the developer for slapping this thing together!

• Like 3