Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

22 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

People talk about de-regulating zoning/housing in order to let developers build "what the market dictates"? Well this is what that "market" dictates. Shamefully bad architecture (because of the decisions made by the developer). Developers will do the absolute bare minimum to make a buck. Design of our built environment should contribute to the overall psychology of the environment as well as the economic environment and this development really fails at that!

This is, quite honestly, painful to really look at.

Maybe, but maybe not? Fire codes, building codes, parking requirements, and lender requirements are a major reason for a lot the ugliness we see, especially in that development. Lose the parking and add in mature trees and that Meridian Park development gets a whole lot more palatable. Not every development needs to be gorgeous - in a market like Nashville, I don’t mind an emphasis on more (quality) units to meet demand as a bigger priority.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 2:36 PM, Nashvillain said:

I'm confused about your point. Does this project exist outside of zoning somehow? If parking weren't required, for instance, perhaps the developer could have used nicer materials or added a couple floors. If fire regulations didn't require multiple stairwells per unit, maybe it wouldn't be covered in exterior staircases. If Nashville allowed more diverse types of multi-family buildings, maybe the city wouldn't be peppered with 5 over 1s and whatever you call this... urban garden-style apartments (?). Seems like zoning's fingerprints are all over this one.

At the end of the day, it's not the most distinguished bit of architecture (slight understatement), but it's 156 units of housing that didn't exist before in a city badly in need of as much housing as it can get

On 7/16/2022 at 12:22 PM, andywildman said:

Maybe, but maybe not? Fire codes, building codes, parking requirements, and lender requirements are a major reason for a lot the ugliness we see, especially in that development. Lose the parking and add in mature trees and that Meridian Park development gets a whole lot more palatable. Not every development needs to be gorgeous - in a market like Nashville, I don’t mind an emphasis on more (quality) units to meet demand as a bigger priority.

No doubt that adding the housing is good. 

The most disappointing stuff about this development is this:

• The surface parking would be there without parking minimums anyways. Developers who do this kind of development almost ALWAYS go above zoning minimum parking anyways. Sometimes they want 1 space per bedroom unlike the zoning minimum of 1 spot per studio/1-bedroom and 1.5 spots for 2+ bedroom units. Parking is still viewed by developers/financers as an amenity and/or necessity. Surface parking is probably the cheapest part of this entire development too, so it not being required (which again would not remove it) doesn't add value anywhere else. Structured parking is really where we start to see concerns with cost implications.
  • The material selection for the building enclosure would not have gotten any better with adding additional units or floors, it would've just looked that much worse honestly. 
  • The tree removal was always going to happen because GCs do not like working around trees unless they absolutely have to, unless they are forbidden from removing those trees, which is not the case.
  • The staircase argument I can go either way on, but from a life safety perspective, I get it entirely. In reality though, the MF buildings on this property have two stairs each, which again isnt a huge cost. The fact that the stairs are external also saved the developer a ton of money and they clearly did not reinvest it elsewhere.

My point about the de-regulating was about how developers nowadays are still going to be cheap as they can get away with whether there is zoning or no zoning. At least certain zoning bylaws hold developers accountable to the quality of the built environment to a certain extent. Another example about the zoning laws is bike parking. If there was not a zoning element for bike parking requirement, I'd be willing to bet not a single developer would include any in any of their developments. Rather they would say "well they can just store the bike in their apartment", all the while they are designing 400SF micro units. 

We have some solid developers in the city, don't get me wrong, but I feel like for every 2 good developers there are 5 poor ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2600 Dickerson Pike (5 stories, 240 units on 5.1 acres) is moving forward with Woodfield Development finalizing the purchase of the land for $7.12 million.  They also secured a $4.5 million loan from First Horizon Bank to help with the purchase. Housing Studio is the architect; Kimley Horn will be in charge of land planning and engineering.  A new rendering and diagram are below.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/east-nashville-site-set-for-project-sells-for-7-12m/article_ec25e6ec-06b1-11ed-a043-6fc7c9de530e.html

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/07/18/dickerson-pike-apartments.html

And at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/07/19/woodfield-dickerson-pike-will-bring-286-units-to-the-growing-east-nashville-corridor/

2600 Dickerson, July 18, 2022, diagram.png

2600 Dickerson, July 18, 2022, render.png

365035609_2600DickersonOct292021sitemap.png

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

2600 Dickerson Pike (5 stories, 240 units on 5.1 acres) is moving forward with Woodfield Development finalizing the purchase of the land for $7.12 million.  They also secured a $4.5 million loan from First Horizon Bank to help with the purchase. Kimley Horn will be in charge of land planning and engineering.  No renderings yet, but a new diagram was released.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/east-nashville-site-set-for-project-sells-for-7-12m/article_ec25e6ec-06b1-11ed-a043-6fc7c9de530e.html

For those that can't read the post, this is the same development/design team doing the 1600 State Street (Patterson as well) development in Midtown.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Here’s a fire hydrant flow test permit for 1201 Gallatin Ave.  does this mean that an architect is in the CD stage? Cc: @Bos2Nash

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/4163060?page=1&searchText=1201 Gallatin ave&searchCode=ADDR&searchType=permit&orderBy=permitNumber DESC

That's exciting to see. I wouldn't necessary say this indicates CDs. If anything this indicates possibly early Design Development as a development team would need this type of information to understand if the water flow is enough for certain fire protection systems. We try to even have this flow test done in early design stages (schematic design) in order to understand this early on.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:40 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

Here’s a fire hydrant flow test permit for 1201 Gallatin Ave.  does this mean that an architect is in the CD stage? Cc: @Bos2Nash

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/4163060?page=1&searchText=1201 Gallatin ave&searchCode=ADDR&searchType=permit&orderBy=permitNumber DESC

A reach out netted a response just to see what can be done there. So, at this point I think they ar weighing the options.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:08 AM, markhollin said:

18-22 Ligon Ave. (6 & 8 stories, 54 units, 2,100 sq. ft. office space, 4,000 sq. ft. restaurant, internal garage on .55 acre) has been approved by MDHA Design Review Committee. Randy Arnold is the developer; Michael Hindman Architects will oversee design; Harpeth Civil is the engineer; Heibert + Ball are in charge of landscape architecture. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mdha-approves-plan-for-dickerson-project/article_c0bae018-079f-11ed-a11d-4338898fd3b3.html

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 8.02.38 AM.png

Color me surprised. I will be interested to see the minutes from that meeting to see how they made their case.