Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

He was abducted by the body snatchers and replaced by a clone. It must have happened when he was in Scotland. I think his clone is upset that the folks at ECH, get a million dollar view for pennies on the dollar. I think he would be fine if they moved to Bellevue.

JK John

• Like 1

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Who posted this? I fear my friend John has been abducted... ; )

My liberalism stops at some points, especially when It comes to community development. Healthcare is a different story, there again we don't need to subsidize people who have a diet of Twinkies and Coke, but that is another discussion.

When it comes to Nashville, it is imperative that ALL projects be demolished and nothing short of sustainable housing be developed to replace them. While Henry Hale off Charlotte is a decent attempt, except for the color scheme which should be browns and dark grays, not yellow, red, blue and green.

I don't like the mixed income idea either. That will just breed contempt between the haves and have nots. Mixed income neighborhoods rarely work. Someone making minimum wage is not going to feel comfortable living with those making $100,000.

Socioeconomic segregation is the root of so many of the problems in society these days, in my opinion.  So to me, mixed income neighborhoods are far and away the best way to go.  I'm curious to know how you came to the conclusion that 'mixed income neighborhoods don't work because they breed contempt.'  Are there even any good examples of a mixed income neighborhood in Nashville?  I could maybe see your point if you were referring only to neighborhoods made up of single family homes, but even then I think there are ways to make it work.  I'm guessing you have visions in your head of a giant, gated McMansion next door to a shotgun house, but it's all about integration and how the neighborhood fits together.  All that aside though, mixed income neighborhoods are pretty easy to do I think if the neighborhood is made up mostly of multi-family dwellings since much of the value of a unit comes from the size of the unit itself, which in a multi-family structure, wouldn't be immediately evident from the outside. 

I live in a neighborhood of highly variable incomes. We live on one of four corners at a cross street. We rent, and get by decently well. Another corner is a family in poverty and likely heavily subsidized. My other neighbor works at oracle and brings home a fortune (and it's easy to see by his things), and my other neighbor are both teachers, one at Cal and the other in the local public schools.

We all get along. The poor don't rob the wealthy. The wealthy don't shun the poor. We all take the kids trick or treating together.

I'm not saying its utopia, but it works well in my neighborhood.

• Like 1

Socioeconomic segregation is the root of so many of the problems in society these days, in my opinion.  So to me, mixed income neighborhoods are far and away the best way to go.  I'm curious to know how you came to the conclusion that 'mixed income neighborhoods don't work because they breed contempt.'  Are there even any good examples of a mixed income neighborhood in Nashville?  I could maybe see your point if you were referring only to neighborhoods made up of single family homes, but even then I think there are ways to make it work.  I'm guessing you have visions in your head of a giant, gated McMansion next door to a shotgun house, but it's all about integration and how the neighborhood fits together.  All that aside though, mixed income neighborhoods are pretty easy to do I think if the neighborhood is made up mostly of multi-family dwellings since much of the value of a unit comes from the size of the unit itself, which in a multi-family structure, wouldn't be immediately evident from the outside. 

I was mainly referring to the article when a woman said mixed income neighborhoods rarely work.

Looks like the apts/condos at 909 Main Street are a go now. Can't help to think Fat Bottom and the completion of the new Edleys helped put some wind back into that sail. Have to agree with Adam Leibowitz that the placement of this developement and the new restaurant/retail across the street about halfway down Main will help spur additional activity for the corridor... 

Developer sets late-summer start for East Nashville project
Screen%20Shot%202013-05-20%20at%201.19.2

Ground is slated to be broken by late summer on East Side Apartments, to be located at 909 Main St. in East Nashville.

The approximately $7.4 million development, which was announced in late 2012, will feature both a four-story building and for-rent townhomes with their own garages. It will offer 71 units.

Adam Leibowitz, who leads a group of silent investors that created East Side Development Partners LLC for the project, said East Side Apartments (read more here) has remained viable despite rumblings from some that the project had been scrapped.

“After about a six-month delay working through cost constraints, we’re in the process of finalizing our plans and anticipate breaking ground by late summer,” Leibowitz said.

Leibowitz said “site conditions” contributed to the delay. He declined to offer specifics.

“Development takes a long time,” he said. “That’s the nature of this business."

Edited by TnNative

i'll still believe it when I see it. He announced this last fall.

He won't admit the site used to be a toxic dump for Metro. People who rent in the building need to know about this.

i'll still believe it when I see it. He announced this last fall.

He won't admit the site used to be a toxic dump for Metro. People who rent in the building need to know about this.

That depends on if it poses a health risk. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be allowed to know (I mean...we know...so it's not exactly top secret), but it would be a toxic situation (pardon the pun) trying to sell that building -- even if it is perfectly safe -- if that is focused on. From his side of things, it could be disastrous financially.

I'm not sure that it is exactly a toxic waste dump, but the Main/McFerrin site was a dump.  FWIW, the 5th/Main building was built on a former industrial brownfield site that required environmental remediation. 

Do the expenses of cleaning up the toxic waste or other hazardous materials fall on the developer or the party who dumped them there?  If not cleaned up properly after project completion, would the responsibility be on the developer?

Those are good questions.  I would like to say that the cost of the cleanup would be the responsibility of the person who dumped it there, or who owned the property that leaked the materials there (even dry cleaners leave a toxic mess!), but I fear that the reality is that the developer incurs the cost.  I suspect that this is why brownfield redevelopment often relied on federal funds as cities were trying to ameliorate these conditions in order to get properties where factories once stood, for example, redeveloped back into property tax generating parcels. 

In this particular case, my understanding is that the entity that used Main/McFerrin site as a dump was the City of Nashville or its contractor.  Information that I received is that it was a dump site for the construction of what is now the Bridgestone Arena.  That is heresay, but it was from a reliable source.

Anyone know what's going on at 6th and Shelby?

13+-+1.jpg

HG Hill Realty owns that property.  I believe that it is going to be either a small grocery store or something like that.  It had been a small grocery store with a pharmacy in the back portion.  I think that now it is going to be a Save-a-Lot perhaps?  Something of that nature.  Definitely not the long-awaited East Nashville Publix!

There may be another project coming to McFerrin park as well. I will share when I am able, but gave it to WW first.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Evanston Townhomes at Evanston/Dickerson in Cleveland Park.  Dane Forlines had mentioned that one in his Focusoncities.org blog of McFerrin Park and Cleveland Park developments.

There is a ton of dirt being moved for the frame-up of the next phase of Walden.  I don't know what we're going to do over here when that Climb Nashville opens.  People will probably be parking all the way to my house, which is several blocks away.

There are also rumors circling again about potential development on Cowan Street now that it has been renamed as Production Row. 

Meanwhile, LKQ is continuing their environmental remediation and build out of their retail car parts facility on Lucas Lane off Trinity/I-65.  This is the lot that the City of Nashville had used as a coal ash dump from the old Thermal Plant.  (Back to that theme of Nashville literally using East Nashville as a waste dump!)

There is a super cool new store called Hey Rooster General Store in the 1000 block of Gallatin Rd (b/t Sharpe and Greenwood Aves) on the Greenwood neighborhood side.  The owner has done a great job of sprucing up that space, which I love because I can pretty much see that from my back door.  And she sells moustache wax!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The Evanston Townhomes at Evanston/Dickerson in Cleveland Park.  Dane Forlines had mentioned that one in his Focusoncities.org blog of McFerrin Park and Cleveland Park developments.

There is a ton of dirt being moved for the frame-up of the next phase of Walden.  I don't know what we're going to do over here when that Climb Nashville opens.  People will probably be parking all the way to my house, which is several blocks away.

There are also rumors circling again about potential development on Cowan Street now that it has been renamed as Production Row. 

Meanwhile, LKQ is continuing their environmental remediation and build out of their retail car parts facility on Lucas Lane off Trinity/I-65.  This is the lot that the City of Nashville had used as a coal ash dump from the old Thermal Plant.  (Back to that theme of Nashville literally using East Nashville as a waste dump!)

There is a super cool new store called Hey Rooster General Store in the 1000 block of Gallatin Rd (b/t Sharpe and Greenwood Aves) on the Greenwood neighborhood side.  The owner has done a great job of sprucing up that space, which I love because I can pretty much see that from my back door.  And she sells moustache wax!

This must be the first  time a poster has used "moustache wax" on the board. Well done, bwithers1.

WW

• Like 1

There is a letter-writing campaign going around East Nashville regarding the riverfront parks redevelopment funding in the MDHA capital expenditures budget.  Specifically, the letter addressed to the Council by RediscoverEast! is pointing out that when the Council last approved a 3-year funding plan for the riverfront parks project, that the third-year funding in that approval would be the upcoming (2013-14) fiscal year.  So, the Cumberland Park and Bridge Building were phases 1 and 2 and the Great Lawn and Overlook on the east bank adjacent to the Bridge Building is supposed to be phase 3.  The RediscoverEast letter is seeking to ascertain whether those funds that were guaranteed 3 years ago are still going to pay for the Great Lawn and overlook this year or if those funds have been directed to other parts of the riverfront parks plan.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Proposal for two connected structures at the SEC of 11th/Fatherland.

Here is the proposal before the Metro Historical Zoning Commission for the structure that would go at the SEC of 11th/Fatherland in the Martin's Corner development.  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/06%20June%202013/SR%201100%20Fatherland,%20infill.pdf  I am inclined to agree with MHZC that the residential portion should go on the interior, with the commercial building going on the exterior, facing the 11th/Fatherland corner.  On the other hand, the historic home next door on Fatherland that is referenced is also used for commercial purposes.  Still, commercial along S 11th would be better in terms of activating both sides of the intersection for the commercial use and providing sound buffering for the residence on the interior of the lot.

This stretch of S 11th is really coming along.  There is an historic home a few doors down toward Shelby that was wrapped in vinyl siding that is undergoing extensive renovation.  The renovation has removed the bad siding and the workers are repairing the existing, historic lap siding.  They are also rebuilding the foundation of the house.  That house will be a jewel of the block.  On the same block there is a total renovation of an historic home that will basically return things to the way it was originally as well as a new construction home on the corner in what used to be that houses's side yard.  Of course, the little church at Boscobel is now a recording studio or something.  And the owners of the infill house at 11th/Shelby have installed an English garden on the 11th Street side of their yard where there is a steep slope.  This stretch of 11th is coming along nicely.  Only a few more houses really need a lot of work.

Edited by bwithers1

Proposal for multi-family residential / mixed-use at SEC 10th/Russell  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/06%20June%202013/SR%20205%20S%2010th.pdf

This one would be good as well.  Note that the renderings are from the original SP that was approved by Planning in 2007.  Apparently, there are new renderings on their way, because the MHZC analysis indicates that there will no longer be a pull-through from 10th Street but that all parking access will be from the alleys, and the mention that there is now a walkway connecting Russell to the rear units.  Also, this rendering is all 3-story, whereas the MHZC analysis indicates a variety of heights.  Personally, I would prefer having one mostly unified face with understated detailing rather than a polyglot of shapes, heights and cladding materials, but this would still be an improvement.  The mention of rooftop decks seems to be a nod to the current fasion for outdoor living spaces such as exterior kitchens and bar areas.  From those heights (atop a 3-story building), I am guessing that most if not all rooftop decks would have unobstructed views of the downtown skyline. 

As you can see from the photos of the surroundings, the 10th Street part of Five Points looks like 1960s/1970s hell.  At least this proposal will bring back street frontage and some density to those corners, which are currently like a wasteland in an otherwise dense area.  Now if we can get rid of those hideous apartment complexes and the equally hideos Family Dollar at 10th/Woodland, Five Points will be nearly complete!

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2