Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

So the botique hotel / restaurant @ 17th & Fatherland apparently has a name...Fatherland Inn & Grill? http://www.myvlink.org/lockelandpto/act/act_getform.php?ID=5467

Wow, I've been looking forward to this thing getting going (unlike some of my neighbors) but I have to say I hate that name. Sounds super generic and faux-rustic. Where did you come across this? Does anyone know anything else about the latest on the developer's plan?

Wow, I've been looking forward to this thing getting going (unlike some of my neighbors) but I have to say I hate that name. Sounds super generic and faux-rustic. Where did you come across this? Does anyone know anything else about the latest on the developer's plan?

I kinda like the name. It's descriptive and to the point. It leaves you with no doubt about what they offer. I hate it when they give places names like "Riverview Tea and Spirits Grill @ The Historic Edgefield Cottages upon Fatherland".

I kinda like the name. It's descriptive and to the point. It leaves you with no doubt about what they offer. I hate it when they give places names like "Riverview Tea and Spirits Grill @ The Historic Edgefield Cottages upon Fatherland".

I randomly stumbled across it on Facebook and confirmed with the person posting. Wife and I agreed it sounded overly plain vanilla, bland and boring. 'Inn and Grill' makes me think of a Super 8 with an Applebees next to it

image.png

image.png

I randomly stumbled across it on Facebook and confirmed with the person posting. Wife and I agreed it sounded overly plain vanilla, bland and boring. 'Inn and Grill' makes me think of a Super 8 with an Applebees next to it

Ha, I concur. Oh well, maybe the food will be delicious. They could have dishes like 'Chicken Sandwich' and 'Pasta with Sauce'.

Last I heard the developer (John Donelson) was pursuing historical landmark status, which would apparently give him more flexibility on parking or whatnot. I didn't make it to the last neighborhood meeting he had but my understanding is that it wasn't super-productive. I wish I understood where he has to publish his plans first. For a renovation like this, does anyone know if he has to get approval from MHZC?

I realize this will probably never happen, but is there any type of alternative to the huge parking lots around Nissan Stadium for football parking?  That's such prime land and such a "dead zone" about 345 days+ a year.  Every time I see an aerial view of the east bank, it makes me sad to see that much asphalt where something incredible could go.

Btw...don't get me wrong.  I love having an NFL team here and love the stadium being where it is.

2559888110_2c2bfd77c7.jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3

I realize this will probably never happen, but is there any type of alternative to the huge parking lots around Nissan Stadium for football parking?  That's such prime land and such a "dead zone" about 345 days+ a year.  Every time I see an aerial view of the east bank, it makes me sad to see that much asphalt where something incredible could go.

Btw...don't get me wrong.  I love having an NFL team here and love the stadium being where it is.

I recall reading here at some point that the size of the parking lot is to help prepare for the inevitable decommissioning of the current stadium. Supposedly, the site is arranged to allow for a new stadium of similar footprint to be built next door without interrupting the playing schedule. I agree that it is a shame to have it empty so often, as you rightly point out...maybe even more so that we are keeping it that way solely for an event that occurs only once every 30 years.

I recall reading here at some point that the size of the parking lot is to help prepare for the inevitable decommissioning of the current stadium. Supposedly, the site is arranged to allow for a new stadium of similar footprint to be built next door without interrupting the playing schedule. I agree that it is a shame to have it empty so often, as you rightly point out...maybe even more so that we are keeping it that way solely for an event that occurs only once every 30 years.

And it's really going to stink to have the stadium where the current parking lot is now in the next 10-20 years, with a HUGE parking lot placed where the stadium is now.

I guess no one could foresee the future of downtown becoming what it has become...nor E. Nashville becoming what it's becoming.  The only area that is now lacking is from the river to the interstate.  Can you guys imagine if E. Nashville's growth could stretch all the way to the river across from downtown?

• Like 2

I realize this will probably never happen, but is there any type of alternative to the huge parking lots around Nissan Stadium for football parking?  That's such prime land and such a "dead zone" about 345 days+ a year.

I recall reading on here a few weeks ago that planning was underway for redeveloping the lots that include Shoney's, Limelight, Thai Poo-Khet and some other properties surrounding the stadium -- my hope (dream) would be that it helps spur more of a Ballpark Village-type environment on the Titans property with multi-level parking and some amount of sports-themed dining or retail that could be a draw  365 days a year.

It does suck seeing all that parking across from our beautiful downtown, but most if not all pro football stadiums are like that.  People love having the space to tailgate, and I get that, but surely there is some kind of compromise that could be made.  Interesting note about them leaving space for the construction of a new stadium though.  I hadn't heard that before, but it makes complete sense.

This sounds like a very nice development and great for that pocket of E.N.  But how close to the Interstate will it be?  The amenities sound nice and that area will benefit from the street activation with the retail component. Will have a sundeck. Heck, with the price of parking these days, it's getting to be smart just to get an apartment downtown for the parking spot. 

Heights.png

Look at what Philly has done with its Sports Complex (So. Philly) quadrangle, although Nashville certainly is "out of league" with a city having such a large fan-base.  Each quad (MLB, NFL, NBA/NHL, and an entertainment complex [XFinity Live!]) is accessible by motor vehicle for the most part along its entire periphery.  Of course there's the nearby I-95 and a SEPTA station (Broad St Line HRT). While I don't feel a need for a super-complex "mid-way" style as Philly's, indeed, it does seem to provide a centralized venue for the Pro and NCAA events.  Despite the huge size of its footprint, it also happens to double as an effective park-n-ride location for SEPTA commuting (via the HRT) to the central city.

Looking at the aspect of what's on-hand in Nashville, having an arena, stadiums, and amphitheater in close proximity to (and directly) downtown has been arguably well serving, by providing the venues for driven and sustained activities spurring the revival of the central core of the town.  In this respect having this seemingly excessively redundant on- or near-site parking has been par for the course, since, as BNABreaker mentioned, tailgating is as much a part of the action as the game itself.  Jamie's reference to multi-level parking and some amount of sports-themed dining and retail is exactly the type of value-added integration incorporated in some of the larger locales.  In any "event", some access to rapid transit is a definite requisite, given the current and projected core layout.
-==-

• Like 1

The Philly model has it's upsides but I prefer our indoor arena where it is so fans can access the entertainment district easily.  Titans stadium, while not as nearby, is still readily accessible by foot.  The Philly sports complex is off on an industrial island.

I do think the 'build next to the existing stadium' is the best model because it bypasses the "where do we build the new one?" dilemma. 

Went to Smith & Lentz brewery tonight and it was great.  Big space, adequate bathrooms, they sell pitchers!, and good beer.  Will be back.

• Like 3

What I wish they would do is find a way to buy out the scrapyard and use that as a "green space" for now...maybe a "passive" park.  Then...figure out a new parking remedy, either underground (below the current parking lots) or garages...with development (condos, hotels, restaurants, retail, etc) atop the parking.  Then...you just slide over to the "passive park" to build the new stadium and turn the old stadium spot into a "passive park" green space...going back and forth, north and south.  When you build the new stadium, you have the north end zone kinda open like the one in Seattle...and have it facing directly towards downtown with an incredible view, since there's a bit of a bend in the river over by PSC.

• Like 2

Regarding the stadium site: I think there needs to not only be forward-thinking on a possible new home for the Titans in the next 10-15 years, but also a major league baseball stadium.  My idea would be to put a new retractable roof stadium on the PCS Metals site (thus giving Nashville even MORE of a reason to be a destination entertainment city for things like the NCAA basketball tournament, Super Bowl, SEC Football Championship, year-round concerts, etc.), and then build a new baseball park on the site of Nissan Stadium with a stunning view of the Nashville skyline across the river from the right field wall (a la Pittsburgh Pirates' PNC Park).

Multi-lvel garages could be built with retial/restaurants on ground level, and perhaps even some hotels, park space, etc. built on top in some cases.

• Like 1