Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

On December 7, 2015 at 1:23:39 PM, bhibbs said:

has any seen/heard of any work going on at 305 E Trinity Ln?

I drove by this address last night. Didn't see anything noteworthy. 

Edit; Forget what I just said. Drove by again today and the building is in full on renovation mode. Maybe I just didn't notice in the evening light yesterday (or perhaps it started today), but there is definitely a full crew of people remodeling that building. 

Edited by nashvillwill

Two pictures from the projects on W. Eastland. Sorry for the lousy pictures, but I was using the phone and shooting into the sun.

this is the project currently underway across from Rite-aid.

image.thumb.jpeg.e3845dda6b1d61b8486fa02

This one is the project behind Rite-aid that remains unnamed. You can see the other project across the street in the background.

image.thumb.jpeg.a983bde74914cefb1df8939

Together, these two make one very large development. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

Two pictures from the projects on W. Eastland. Sorry for the lousy pictures, but I was using the phone and shooting into the sun.

[pic]

this is the project currently underway across from Rite-aid.

[pic]

This one is the project behind Rite-aid that remains unnamed. You can see the other project across the street in the background.

Together, these two make one very large development. 

No need to apologize.  The photos authentically depict the local activity there.  They are appreciated immensely. -==-

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, December 05, 2015 at 9:00 PM, East Side Urbanite said:

I've had a few folks express concern to me about what they feel might be "excessive height" with the proposed East Sider building. One thing to consider: At some point, the building home to Bongo East will be bought and razed. It will be replaced with a building positioned at the sidewalk and likely standing about 35 feet tall. Five Points can handle some buildings of this type (we can only hope that a three-story building will eventually go on the BP station site). In short, the East Sider should work well.

WW

William:  The Metro Historic Zoning Commissioners made a similar point during deliberations last week (at the December 16th hearing) about the 105 S 11th Street East Sider proposal:  other vacant lots or non-contributing buildings located within the overlapping Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Zoning Overlay and MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District could be redeveloped with taller buildings that would eventually provide context for this structure.

MHZC approved demolition of the Edgefield Cafe building a while back and subsequently approved an earlier proposal for a one-story brick building, which had received a lot of positive feedback from the neighborhood.  That building, like so many other prior proposals for Five Points, was never constructed.

There was a fairly vigorous neighborhood discussion about the current East Sider proposal regarding how the historic and Redevelopment District design guidelines work together and which one takes precedence.

The design guidelines for the Five Points Redevelopment District are located here http://www.nashville-mdha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Five_Points.pdf.  Page 8 provides the design guidelines for the Five Points Subdistrict specifically (note that the 37206 Building down the street is in a different subdistrict.)  Some neighbors pointed out that the paragraph on height states that "buildings shall not exceed 2 stories and 30 ft in height.  A third story at 15 ft. may [emphasis mine] be added provided that it is for residential use only and is compatible with existing adjacent historic structures.  The third story must be stepped back at least 10 ft. from facade planes facing a residential subdistrict, an existing house (regardless of use), and public streets."

Neighbors who attended last Wednesday's MHZC hearing noted that there is an adjacent historic structure next to 105 S 11th - the EastSide Cycles building - and that it is a single-story building.  The contributing block of commercial structures on the other side of the street (Three Crow to Five Points Pizza) are also single-story structures.   Therefore, they made the argument that approving a three-story building, even with a front step-back, would not meet the MDHA or Conservation Overlay guidelines of compatibility with adjacent historic structures.

In both sets of design guidelines, adjacent historic context is a consideration.  In order to seek a clearer understanding of how not only MDHA but more importantly MHZC has evaluated height recommendations for proposals in this particular block in the past, I asked the Metro Historic Commission staff to pull past MHZC approvals for projects.  The staff researched those approvals and found that a 3-story structure had been approved by MHZC at 101 S 11th at the corner where the parking lot is located, and another 3-story structure was approved at 109 S 11th in the grassy lot next to Bonjo Java.  Both of these projects were approved in the 2006-2006 timeframe, but neither one was ever constructed.  Because past MHZC determinations about design guideline applications can guide future determinations, I concluded that both the MDHA Redevelopment District and Lockeland Springs-East End Conservation Overlay District design guidelines apparently permit 3-story structures in the 100 block of S 11th, which has commercial zoning.

One thing that I will note about the 2006-2007 projects that were approved but never built is that their third stories met the 10-foot step-back requirement, as this proposal does, but were also quite a bit more subordinate to the main two-story portion of the structure than this proposal is.  Therefore, I conclude that while three-story buildings are likely to be approved by both bodies (MDHA Design Review Committee and Metro Historic Zoning Commission), that overall massing should be an area of focus for future proposal discussions for this subdistrict moreso than opposition to third stories altogether.

I would also point out that there are other aspects of this proposal from a Codes perspective that still require approval, and so this project has some additional steps to clear before becoming a reality.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

Thanks for the update. I know there is a lot of interest in this and must be handled delicately. Those of us on the east side have very mixed feelings about increased density in Five Points, but I think this proposal could work if it is done with great care. I wish my councilman was half as good as you. 

• Like 2

On Saturday, December 05, 2015 at 7:08 PM, grilled_cheese said:

They need to fix the W Eastland/Eastland/Gallatin intersection or else it will be even more FUBAR than it is now.

Some improvements to the Gallatin/Eastland intersection and signal are in the planning stages, and, as is often the case, it will take a year or more to get those started.  Cross your fingers.  Some of the more radical proposals could take condemnation - and the associated costs and years worth of negotiations - to implement.

• Like 1

The more density in Five Points the better. I would like to see auto traffic basically eliminated in Five Points and have a pedestrian only area there so people could walk safely from bar to bar etc... Most people do not obey traffic law and have no concern for pedestrians. It would be best if a well designed parking structure was built on Main or Woodland and then allowed people to park and walk. There is no need for car traffic in the Five Points District.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

1. Train drunk hipsters to use crosswalks. 2. Train drivers to stop for drunk hipsters in crosswalks. Problem solved. Closing Woodland Street would be a disaster. Already too few thoroughfares in & out of East Nasty.

Not all of us drunks in Five Points are hipsters, but I don't disagree with your main point.

22 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

The more density in Five Points the better. I would like to see auto traffic basically eliminated in Five Points and have a pedestrian only area there so people could walk safely from bar to bar etc... Most people do not obey traffic law and have no concern for pedestrians. It would be best if a well designed parking structure was built on Main or Woodland and then allowed people to park and walk. There is no need for car traffic in the Five Points District.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more with you on this. I want five points to retain the soul that it has. It's small. It's for the neighborhood. To alter it in order to make it a "destination" would result in a white washed replacement. I like 12th South for what it has become, but I don't believe that is the vision that most east nashvillians have for our hub.

I want to see density in the area, but I want it on Gallatin Rd where it belongs. 

2 hours ago, nashvillwill said:

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more with you on this. I want five points to retain the soul that it has. It's small. It's for the neighborhood. To alter it in order to make it a "destination" would result in a white washed replacement. I like 12th South for what it has become, but I don't believe that is the vision that most east nashvillians have for our hub.

I want to see density in the area, but I want it on Gallatin Rd where it belongs. 

It's already a destination place as is Riverside Village. When word gets out, the neighborhoods no longer "own" the district. Five Points was a destination when I left the hotel biz in 2008. People were asking about it then. I know people from Green Hills that go to Mas Tacos every week.  The food scene in East Nashville has been written up in the New York Times. 5 Points like it or not is now a tourist destination.

Edited by Paramount747

Never even knew about Charlie Bob's... says "historic".  I understand Dickerson Road was the old gateway to Nashville before Interstates. I recall getting off at that exit from I-65 for gas once and seeing many old "tourist courts".  Charlie Bob's must have been one of the favorite stops along the way.  It is bittersweet to lose any of the remnants of that era. 

From the map, it appears to be at the corner of Fern Street, notorious (IMHO) for the narrow underpass through the stone on I-65. 

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

Adaptive re-use planned for former Holt Brothers Carpet store on Gallatin/Main Street:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/12/28/adaptive-reuse-eyed-east-nashville-site/77984152/

Excellent. That little strip is starting to gel on both sides of the street.  Now we need to figure out the best place for a signaled crosswalk.  Maybe even a pedestrian island in the middle of Gallatin to offer some safety.

Edited by Nashville Cliff
another thought
  • Like 2

On Thursday, December 24, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Philip said:

If a developer owns property and wants to develop something, he should be able to regardless of the residents' opinion. The developer is the one who owns it, not the residents.

Development entitlements follow base zoning and applicable Codes without opportunities for public input in most cases unless there is a Conservation Zoning Overlay present or unless the developer seeks an SP, which is technically a zone change.  While developers may have existing entitlements for more dense building rights on CS-, etc, zoned parcels, it is generally only the case that public input through Planning Commission and Metro Council public hearings applies when a zone change request is made from lower-to-higher density. The relative weight given to constituent input in those zone change decisions does have a political component. In these cases, East Nashville neighbors are often not supportive of zone changes for significant density increases in the interior residential neighborhoods.  Community sentiment about density along the corridors is mixed.  But that is where the 2006 Community Plan and the recent NashvilleNext public documents showed that there was consensus that density belonged.

Frankly, I am surprised by the number of adaptive reuses of properties along Main/Gallatin, including the Holt Brothers building four doors from my house, given what could otherwise be built there without a zone change requirement.

Having said that, much of the property that already has base zoning for density in East Nashville, or particularly Lower East, sits within an MDHA Redevelopment District with design guidelines, a Conservation Overlay with design guidelines, or along Gallatin or Dickerson Pikes, which have some degree of guidelines in UDOs.  For the most part, those UDO or Redevelopment District Guidelines are applied either by Planning Staff for UDOs or by the MDHA Design Review Committee for the redevelopment districts without public hearings.  Public input is factored into the crafting and adoption of those prescriptive design guidelines but not typically to the applications of those guidelines to particular projects.

Apparently in 2000 when the Five Points Redevelopment District design guidelines were written, East Nashvillians favored mixed-use buildings with ground-floor retail and upstairs residential uses, possibly including third floors, at 11th/Woodland.  The fact that none of those buildings that were proposed and approved were ever built on those lots may be a testament to what lenders would have considered a risky investment area at the time, even as late as 2006-7.  How much times have changed in a few short years.  The satisfaction of parking requirements is a common (and growing) challenge for meeting Codes requirements for mixed-use buildings on some of these properties since many Five Points-area lots are relatively small.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2