Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20844540/groundbreaking-date-slated-for-east-side-retail-project

More info (paywall) on the retail space in front of the former Wal-Mart on Gallatin. Groundbreaking should occur in the 2nd quarter of 2017. Based on the article, I'm thinking they are looking for a Chipoltle, Starbucks etc. type of national retailer to fill one or both of the restaurant spaces. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20844540/groundbreaking-date-slated-for-east-side-retail-project

More info (paywall) on the retail space in front of the former Wal-Mart on Gallatin. Groundbreaking should occur in the 2nd quarter of 2017. Based on the article, I'm thinking they are looking for a Chipoltle, Starbucks etc. type of national retailer to fill one or both of the restaurant spaces. 

Short article from the NBJ discussing this project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/11/23/restaurants-retail-revitalizing-former-east.html

• Like 1

TopGolf doesn't have it's own thread.  Here's the story from today's Nashville Post:

Work is fully underway for the Topgolf facility to straddle the east bank of the Cumberland River. A permit valued at about $11.8 million has been issued for construction of the facility. Topgolf will be located at 500 Cowan St.

Here are some shots I took over the weekend that I was going to post sometime this week. Some thoughts:

1) I still can't figure out exactly where the main building is going to be located, or if there is just one primary driving range, or several.

2) They are doing a lot of grading for what seem like retention pools (at least 3 of them).  The one closest to Cowan Street is at least 25 feet deep. 

Looking north from the Jefferson Street Bridge incline.  That is Cowan Street on the right.  This is one of the large, deep excavations for a retention pool? Underground parking?

Top Golf 1, Nov 26, 2016.JPG

Looking west from near the intersection of Cowan and Jefferson Street:

Top Golf 2, Nov 26, 2016.JPG

Looking north from the Jefferson Street Bridge:Top Golf 3, Nov 26, 2016.JPG

Looking NW from the Jefferson Street Bridge. Another one of the large retention pool-type excavations along the western edge of the property near the river:Top Golf 4, Nov 26, 2016.JPG

Looking south from Cowan Court. Another 10'-15' deep excavation:

Top Golf 5, Nov 26, 2016.JPG

Looking west from near the intersection of Cowan and Cowan Ct. That same excavation, along with a slightly sloping incline on the far western side of the lot (in front of the warehouse) that goes from around 15' high on the left up to around 25' high in the center.

Top Golf 6, Nov 26, 2016.JPG

• Like 4

14 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Anyone against this?  Seems good to me and it's got the approval of metro councilman Brett Withers.

I've been a lurker on here for years...and decided to finally sign up. I live in Edgefield and we had a neighborhood meeting on Tuesday where Brett presented this idea of putting the sheriff's admin offices adjacent to the Cayce redevelopment. I don't think there are any drawings yet. The reaction to it was mixed. Our president (who is this brash lady from DC) thought it was fine...but some other neighbors weren't excited about it. I think Brett may ask the sheriff to come back and talk to the neighborhood about it.

• Like 4

Welcome to the board, Edgefield D!  Look forward to hearing more about this from your perspective, as well as any other contributions you'd like to make to our discussions along the way.  You are always welcome to come to our Monthly Meet-Up as well on the first Saturday of each month.  The December meeting is this Sat., Dec. 3 at 10 AM 'til noon  at the Provence Bakery in the Downtown Library (at SE corner of 6th Ave. North and Church).   : )

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely keep you posted with what I know. I doubt I can make it this Saturday...but I'll try to catch you when I can. There are a lot of things going on...just in my neighborhood (and it's tiny). Tulip Street Methodist closed and is for sale and the gas station on the corner of 5th and Main is trying to do some things (that didn't go over well with the neighborhood) and I haven't heard anything about that in a few weeks. The other night...there was also some info presented from the East End neighborhood about approaching public works to work on S 10th and make it parking on both sides and put in cross walks there as well as on 11th. I was excited about that...when we walk to 5 Points it's like frogger sometimes to get across 10th.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Edgefield D said:

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely keep you posted with what I know. I doubt I can make it this Saturday...but I'll try to catch you when I can. There are a lot of things going on...just in my neighborhood (and it's tiny). Tulip Street Methodist closed and is for sale and the gas station on the corner of 5th and Main is trying to do some things (that didn't go over well with the neighborhood) and I haven't heard anything about that in a few weeks. The other night...there was also some info presented from the East End neighborhood about approaching public works to work on S 10th and make it parking on both sides and put in cross walks there as well as on 11th. I was excited about that...when we walk to 5 Points it's like frogger sometimes to get across 10th.

Welcome! Are your neighbors upset about the Lucky's market/deli that wants to go in at 5th and Main? 

Thanks Webber

I didn't go to the meeting when they discussed the gas station (Luckys). But, a lot of neighbors weren't thrilled with the idea of expanding their beer options. I have mixed feelings about it. The last thing we need is more drunk people hanging out drinking in the park and the neighborhood...but if they are just expanding craft beer...I doubt that would contribute that that. That owner hasn't necessarily been a good neighbor....and that goes a long way with my neighborhood.

22 hours ago, Edgefield D said:

I've been a lurker on here for years...and decided to finally sign up. I live in Edgefield and we had a neighborhood meeting on Tuesday where Brett presented this idea of putting the sheriff's admin offices adjacent to the Cayce redevelopment. I don't think there are any drawings yet. The reaction to it was mixed. Our president (who is this brash lady from DC) thought it was fine...but some other neighbors weren't excited about it. I think Brett may ask the sheriff to come back and talk to the neighborhood about it.

I've yet to see any project that all of Edgefield supports.  ;)  Friendly poke from your neighbor in Eastwood.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I've yet to see any project that all of Edgefield supports.  ;)  Friendly poke from your neighbor in Eastwood.

That's true Cliff. I will say though....I've lived there for 8 years and I am NOT one of those pioneers that are so vocal. I consider one of the most vocal ones to be a good friend and I appreciate what she's done. You couldn't even get a mortgage on homes in Edgefield when they bought back in the 70s. I've heard all about what they had to do and what they went through...so I get their passion. It's a tiny little neighborhood that's surrounded by development. The makeup of the neighborhood is changing (for better or worse). I don't go to meetings like I used to and when I do I know very few people.  I don't rush to one side or the other as much as I used to but I love development and improvements...I just want them to be thoughtful and to actually improve things.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Many of these folks were the nimbys in the nimbys back yard in the day. It was OK for them to move in and make changes, but it's not OK for anyone else to move in and make changes. We are seeing time and time again in neighborhoods in Nashville. The amount of hipocricy is amazing.

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Many of these folks were the nimbys in the nimbys back yard in the day. It was OK for them to move in and make changes, but it's not OK for anyone else to move in and make changes. We are seeing time and time again in neighborhoods in Nashville. The amount of hipocricy is amazing.

I knew people who settle in the east Nashville neighborhoods back in the 70s and 80s, and believe me these were blighted areas back then.  I remember on more than one occasion being told  about having to clean up the needles from their front yards on a regular basis. This was not the safest place to be. The potential of the neighborhood is what drove them. It may seem hypocritical that they want to protect what is there now, and I may not always agree with it, but these people have a stake in those neighborhoods unlike most. 

From today's Nashville Post:

The owners of a Cleveland Park property have asked Metro Planning to rezone the 0.69-acre parcel to accommodate up to 16 residential units and 3,8000 square feet of retail and office space.

J2K Builders, Metro Planning Commission member James T. McLean's company, purchased the 1300 Lischey Ave. property in August for $899,500, according to city records. The previous owner bought the property for $215,000 in 2011.

The rezoning application was submitted on Nov. 30 and will be considered by the planning commission at their Jan. 12 meeting.

Cleveland Park.jpg

On 12/1/2016 at 10:54 AM, Edgefield D said:

But, a lot of neighbors weren't thrilled with the idea of expanding their beer options. I have mixed feelings about it. The last thing we need is more drunk people hanging out drinking in the park and the neighborhood...but if they are just expanding craft beer...I doubt that would contribute that that. That owner hasn't necessarily been a good neighbor....and that goes a long way with my neighborhood.

I get that it's a crappy gas station and I've stated before that I believe it needs a facelift to elevate that intersection.

Having said that, how in the hell can the neighborhood have any say on what kind of beer they sell?  Furthermore, who cares what kind of beer he sells whether it's Natty Ice 40 oz or Heady Topper tallboys?

Edited by grilled_cheese
spelling

19 hours ago, markhollin said:

Two parcels next to each other on Dickerson Pike are scheduled for a combined 486 residential units:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/12/02/186-apartments-eyed-dickerson-pikes-charlie-bobs-restaurant-site/94805070/

Dickerson Pike.JPG

Always have mixed feelings when I read news like this.  First, I see the prospect of new development/investments in areas like this as a net positive. I don't know anything about that stretch of Nashville. So I did a flyover on Google maps. Seeing this business close (which I assume will happen) is something I hate to see, especially in a comparatively depressed area.  Don't misunderstand, I realize any business owner(s) get(s) tired and want to retire; and most eventually do within a generation or so.

I'm rambling a bit... so I'll get to my point.  Looking at Dickerson Road, I was struck by the number of trailer parks, old motels (tourist courts) and vacant retail buildings.  There appears to be A LOT of developable (is that not a word?) land along both sides of Dickerson - even acres of undeveloped land.  Granted, much of it may be on rugged terrain and more expensive to build upon. So why go for a place like this before going after the vacant lots and buildings. No doubt, many factors are involved, but it just seems to me that too often developers gobble up healthy businesses to build their residential/mixed-use. Okay... rant over. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Always have mixed feelings when I read news like this.  First, I see the prospect of new development/investments in areas like this as a net positive. I don't know anything about that stretch of Nashville. So I did a flyover on Google maps. Seeing this business close (which I assume will happen) is something I hate to see, especially in a comparatively depressed area.  Don't misunderstand, I realize any business owner(s) get(s) tired and want to retire; and most eventually do within a generation or so.

I'm rambling a bit... so I'll get to my point.  Looking at Dickerson Road, I was struck by the number of trailer parks, old motels (tourist courts) and vacant retail buildings.  There appears to be A LOT of developable (is that not a word?) land along both sides of Dickerson - even acres of undeveloped land.  Granted, much of it may be on rugged terrain and more expensive to build upon. So why go for a place like this before going after the vacant lots and buildings. No doubt, many factors are involved, but it just seems to me that too often developers gobble up healthy businesses to build their residential/mixed-use. Okay... rant over. 

100% agree (x1000 over!)

Since I moved to the area, this place is the only relatively classy food/drink establishment my wife and I can walk to, and do so with relative frequency. We live only two blocks from here and have grown to love this place... It was our saving grace during the snow storm last year when we couldn't get our cars out of the driveway, but the neon Charlie Bob's sign was a beacon in the dark.

I can see how more residential units will eventually engender more of this type of development in the area, but to see such a thing take place on top of the only restaurant or bar we have access to is an enormous disappointment and point of frustration for us, especially with the glut of vacant lots and blighted land all around.

• Like 2