Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, WebberThomas4 said:

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2017SP-013-001_Applic.pdf

SP application for 2310 Riverside Drive (the now vacant lots behind Fond Object). Would permit up to 64 units if approved. 

There'd better be enough parking to subsidize the area as those lots serve as overflow for Mitchell's, etc. 

They removed a house or two directly behind Fond Object right off of Riverside Drive so that is not referencing the parking lot.

From FB:

In case any Nashvillians were wondering, I spoke with, Mike, the owner of my beloved Charlie Bob's tonight, and they will not be closing doors until March or April of 2017. They may get to keep the building... if not, he has a place down the street to re-open, and will also possibly open a 2nd location in East Nashville. Please go support them in these next few months, as it is crucial to the livelihood of our neighborhood diner!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

From FB:

In case any Nashvillians were wondering, I spoke with, Mike, the owner of my beloved Charlie Bob's tonight, and they will not be closing doors until March or April of 2017. They may get to keep the building... if not, he has a place down the street to re-open, and will also possibly open a 2nd location in East Nashville. Please go support them in these next few months, as it is crucial to the livelihood of our neighborhood diner!

Ugh. I saw that too. I'm glad it's not immediate, but am still frustrated that development so often seems to displace the actively contributing businesses and avoids the empty lots and detritus.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

^ good to bring affordable housing but I'd much rather they build them on all that asphalt inside the triangle than mowing down the woods.  

It makes me sick to my stomach looking at that picture and seeing how irresponsible and inefficient the land usage is there.  I mean honestly, what kind of planning is that?  It looks like a concrete factory and lumber yard went on a drinking binge and just threw up all over the forest.  I mean I know it's out in Hermitage, but that doesn't mean there can't at least be some sort of general plan.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2016 at 10:17 AM, Edgefield D said:

[snip] The other night...there was also some info presented from the East End neighborhood about approaching public works to work on S 10th and make it parking on both sides and put in cross walks there as well as on 11th. I was excited about that...when we walk to 5 Points it's like frogger sometimes to get across 10th.

Oh my god, I wish they would do this (traffic calming), especially on 10th. The stretch from Shelby to the stoplight at Woodland looks like it's designed for drag racing with all those wide lanes and no obstructions, and people come flying through at like 70 mph. In my dream world they would combine this with a big reworking of the Shelby & 10th intersection, which is a death trap for cars, not to mention pedestrians. Watching people try to cross there to get to the bus stop in the morning always gets my heart beating.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AronG said:

Oh my god, I wish they would do this (traffic calming), especially on 10th. The stretch from Shelby to the stoplight at Woodland looks like it's designed for drag racing with all those wide lanes and no obstructions, and people come flying through at like 70 mph. In my dream world they would combine this with a big reworking of the Shelby & 10th intersection, which is a death trap for cars, not to mention pedestrians. Watching people try to cross there to get to the bus stop in the morning always gets my heart beating.

The person from East End that's heading this up is very involved with development....so I feel like this is probably going to happen. He did say specifically that Shelby and 10th is another animal and would be a whole separate deal.

On 12/2/2016 at 2:08 PM, shanky said:

I knew people who settle in the east Nashville neighborhoods back in the 70s and 80s, and believe me these were blighted areas back then.  I remember on more than one occasion being told  about having to clean up the needles from their front yards on a regular basis. This was not the safest place to be. The potential of the neighborhood is what drove them. It may seem hypocritical that they want to protect what is there now, and I may not always agree with it, but these people have a stake in those neighborhoods unlike most.

I have a lot of respect for our neighbors that fought through that era and helped build the neighborhood back into what it is, and I love hearing their war stories. I would dearly love it though, if we, the beneficiaries of their years of trenchant fortitude could convince them to consider that the choices today are very different. And that keeping the neighborhood "preserved" as it is (or was before?) is not one of the options.

During the blight era, it was probably wise to approach developers with a healthy dose of suspicion and skepticism, since a lot of what they were doing was predatory. But things are different now. Nashville as a whole is revitalizing and growing. There are many people of means who would love to live in our neighborhoods, and that demand is only likely to grow. If developers are blocked and obstructed at every turn when they try to satisfy the growing demand with new density, they will instead apply their energies to making money off the scarcity. Meaning they'll continue to buy houses, rebuild them into more and more luxurious single family castles, and sell them at higher and higher markups. The neighborhoods that will result after 10 or 20 more years of this are going to be populated by an un-diverse set of 1%ers, i.e. doctors, lawyers, and executives that can afford the stratospheric entry price.

And this isn't some idle speculation, it's well along its way. A house a block away from me was bought last year for $250K, gutted, rebuilt, and sold for $690K. Does anybody think east nashville's going to be as weird, diverse, interesting, or fun, if you have to pay a million dollars to live here? Is our fear of less parking or more traffic or our love of turn of the century architecture or whatever, really worth throwing that away?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AronG said:

Is our fear of less parking or more traffic or our love of turn of the century architecture or whatever, really worth throwing that away?

This is probably not your intent, but it sounds like that false dichotomy that some developers and urbanists like to throw up, that you can't have more density and maintain streetcar suburbs with historic architecture.  Absurd.  I'm all for density, lots and lots of density, preferably affordable, but it should be channeled to our corridors and kept at the edges of our historic neighborhoods.  I will fight for more affordable housing, but I will also fight to maintain the character of my neighborhood.  My beef with some of the folks in Edgefield is that they seem to think that they have some kind of magic veto over what happens beyond their neighborhood proper.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

This is probably not your intent, but it sounds like that false dichotomy that some developers and urbanists like to throw up, that you can't have more density and maintain streetcar suburbs with historic architecture.  Absurd.  I'm all for density, lots and lots of density, preferably affordable, but it should be channeled to our corridors and kept at the edges of our historic neighborhoods.  I will fight for more affordable housing, but I will also fight to maintain the character of my neighborhood.  My beef with some of the folks in Edgefield is that they seem to think that they have some kind of magic veto over what happens beyond their neighborhood proper.

I agree with you Cliff. I am curious though...what is the scenario that happened outside of Edgefield that folks were up in arms about? I'm just curious...not picking an argument at all. As I've said before, I'm not a passionate pioneer...but I understand why some are.

1 hour ago, Edgefield D said:

I agree with you Cliff. I am curious though...what is the scenario that happened outside of Edgefield that folks were up in arms about? I'm just curious...not picking an argument at all. As I've said before, I'm not a passionate pioneer...but I understand why some are.

I don't remember the details, but I recall there being resistance to a project on Shelby and another over on 10th.  Granted, both would be right on the border of Edgefield.  And they went flipping nuts over BPAC's proposal for a protected bike lane down Woodland.  And of course, all of the complaints over the volume of music from way over at Ascend.

http://noblenashville.com/blog/2016/12/07/mad-donnas-closes-doors-renovation-secret-list-celebrity/

Looks like Mad Donnas is closing for the next two weeks due to building renovations. It's unclear if a new concept is in the works for when they reopen. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I don't remember the details, but I recall there being resistance to a project on Shelby and another over on 10th.  Granted, both would be right on the border of Edgefield.  And they went flipping nuts over BPAC's proposal for a protected bike lane down Woodland.  And of course, all of the complaints over the volume of music from way over at Ascend.

Usually...I will say...they mostly get up in arms when a developer wants to do spot zoning. Shelby and the west side of 10th fall within Edgefield. I personally haven't been bothered by Ascend and actually like the venue and like the fact I can walk over. I know some people had complained a lot at first and I think there were some adjustments made. I haven't really heard anything else about it lately.

Just as a side note. We had our neighborhood holiday party on Sunday. It's amazing how quickly the make up of the neighborhood is changing. Tons of young families with kids. And, also....I wouldn't call it a unified neighborhood either. Lots of division. Many of the older neighbors leaving. I hope the character of the neighborhood remains intact (as far as historic structures). On the bike lanes. I love the idea. I myself was concerned about removing the turning lane. Woodland is a heavily traveled street. I'm curious to see what happens when Eastside Heights opens with the retail there at 5th and Woodland. Don't get me wrong....I'm very excited to have more walkable options a block and a half away. It SHOULD flow smoothly....I've just seen how metro handles things like that and am cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

http://noblenashville.com/blog/2016/12/07/mad-donnas-closes-doors-renovation-secret-list-celebrity/

Looks like Mad Donnas is closing for the next two weeks due to building renovations. It's unclear if a new concept is in the works for when they reopen. 

Unfortunately, Noble was wrong and MDs is closing for good.  Major bummer.

New Aldi's opened today up in Madison.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/12/08/aldi-opens-new-store-madison/95150664/

• Like 1