Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

44 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Unfortunately, Noble was wrong and MDs is closing for good.  Major bummer.

New Aldi's opened today up in Madison.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/12/08/aldi-opens-new-store-madison/95150664/

It sounds like it will just be a new concept with the same management. I drove by today, and they sure are being secretive.  The original story I read said it was an "a-list" celebrity doing the renovation. There were production trailers behind it earlier, so who knows. I wasn't a fan of their food, but MD always seemed to be busy.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2016 at 7:12 AM, Nashville Cliff said:

This is probably not your intent, but it sounds like that false dichotomy that some developers and urbanists like to throw up, that you can't have more density and maintain streetcar suburbs with historic architecture.  Absurd.  I'm all for density, lots and lots of density, preferably affordable, but it should be channeled to our corridors and kept at the edges of our historic neighborhoods.  I will fight for more affordable housing, but I will also fight to maintain the character of my neighborhood.  My beef with some of the folks in Edgefield is that they seem to think that they have some kind of magic veto over what happens beyond their neighborhood proper.

I guess I don't 100% agree that that's an absurd false dichotomy. It just seems like people are hearing different things when we talk about "streetcar suburbs" or say we're going to "maintain the character of my neighborhood."

I love reading histories of our neighborhood like this one: http://nashvillehistory.blogspot.com/2011/07/lockeland.html. Who knew there was a broom factory at 16th & Boscobel, or a cigar factory in the alley behind Lillian & 19th? It sounds like an amazing neighborhood community of scrappy, middle class people, served by a thriving streetcar network, and they literally built the original version of the urban fabric that has been handed down to us. I mean, they used bucket brigades to fight fires with water from a cistern until the fire hall was built at 16th & Holly St!

I love this stuff, but what stands out for me as it pertains to ongoing debates about development is: we can't have it back again. Without streetcars, we're only a streetcar suburb in an imaginative, archaeological way. And more importantly, it's 2016 and the entirety of Middle Tennessee has been built out in a car-centric design with a wildly larger population, leading to very concentrated demand for walkable neighborhoods near the urban core. Which means that short of an apocalypse, single family houses on full size lots will never again be affordable to anyone outside the top few percent of the earnings curve. So by all means, lets keep most of them, especially the historically interesting ones; but let's not deceive ourselves that we're maintaining the streetcar character of our neighborhood in any kind of meaningful way.

I guess it's just my (hopeless?) plea that we maintain some optimism about how our neighborhoods could be made *better* by new development that is interwoven within the existing fabric. There's no way to lock "neighborhood character" in a box and keep it preserved. It has changed constantly for the past 100 years and is very clearly changing now. If we single-mindedly pursue preservation policies without factoring in the effects they have, we're going to push density and commercial development to narrow, distant "corridors", driving all the development money within our neighborhoods into more and more princely renovations and rebuilds. Which is no more a preservation of old East Nashville than an unregulated development frenzy would be. If we instead encourage constructive developers and help them channel their resources into projects that will add attractive features to our neighborhoods, while at the same time gradually introducing the inevitable density that will enable more people to enjoy it, we'll end up with a very different neighborhood which would be, to my mind, an even more pleasant place to live.

In 2014 Lockeland Springs was expanded to include the 1400-1600 blocks of Lillian and Boscobel. There's a lot to love about the area, but pretending that this was about historic architecture or neighborhood conservation is, to borrow your word, absurd. There are a vanishingly small number of older houses in that area that may or may not be preserved, depending on their structural integrity. But the new designation will have a much more drastic effect on the other 95% of the homes, which are mostly crumbling, non-historical, shotgun houses from the 50s and 60s. With the new historical code in place, they'll be torn down one at a time and each replaced with a hulking, ersatz, funhouse recreation of what houses would have looked like in 1920 if the inhabitants had preferred 4,000 square foot mcmansions instead of homely bungalows with a broom factory behind them. A cynical person would say that this zoning change was a preemptive strike against more dense development, and that our pretend streetcar suburb for millionaires just got two blocks bigger. But I'm an optimist, and I'll be rooting for any developer with a constructive proposal to harness our popularity and help take our neighborhood another step toward its next incarnation. :)

• Like 3

On 12/8/2016 at 7:13 PM, grilled_cheese said:

Unfortunately, Noble was wrong and MDs is closing for good.  Major bummer.

"Mad Donna's mystery solved?"

Apparently a new restaurant is opening at 1313 Woodland St. and is being featured on a reality TV project. Hence, the secrecy.

Article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/12/13/mad-donnas-mystery-solved/95367886/?hootPostID=0ef6fcd60234685e81bfaf56c6ab4a57

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Canuck87 said:

Apparently the restaurant is relocating to 1313 Woodland St. and is being featured on a reality TV project. Hence, the secrecy.

Article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/12/13/mad-donnas-mystery-solved/95367886/?hootPostID=0ef6fcd60234685e81bfaf56c6ab4a57

Ugh, Bar Rescue is rarely actually good for a place. I read somewhere that most of the bars that Tapper "rescues" end up underwater.

34 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Ugh, Bar Rescue is rarely actually good for a place. I read somewhere that most of the bars that Tapper "rescues" end up underwater.

Love that show. His name is actually 'Taffer', I believe. According to the Bar Rescue website and others that track their success rate (bars/restaurants still open)...it stands at about 80%. A darn good average.

1 hour ago, Canuck87 said:

Apparently the restaurant is relocating to 1313 Woodland St. and is being featured on a reality TV project. Hence, the secrecy.

Mad Donna's is currently at 1313 Woodland.  The article says that a new restaurant will take over the Mad Donna's space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Love that show. His name is actually 'Taffer', I believe. According to the Bar Rescue website and others that track their success rate (bars/restaurants still open)...it stands at about 80%. A darn good average.

Just read another that said 77 of 121 remains open, or 63%. Not sure what the general population closure rate is, but that doesn't seem too good for businesses that have supposedly been professionally remade. Either way, tthe show is entertaining, even if it's just to see the train wrecks some of these businesses are. 

http://www.barrescueupdates.com/p/all-bar-rescue-updates.html?m=1

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 1

Social media marketing start-up JumpCrew will be based in Skyway Studios on Dickerson (just south of I-65 exit).  Will initiate with 30 employees, but owners foresee expanding to 400 within next 3-5 years:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/14/why-these-new-yorkers-chose-nashville-for-their.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

I can't speak for Lockeland Springs, but I was very involved in the expansion of Eastwood's conservation overlay.  Our intent was largely to preserve smaller, historic homes that were being destroyed and replaced by hulking mcmansions and over-sized duplexes.  Our neighborhood association has and hopefully will continue to support dense infill along our corridors (primarily Gallatin and to a lesser extent Porter).  We also have and hopefully will continue to support the use of accessory dwellings (alley cottages) as one way to increase density while maintaining character.  We have also supported the (hopefully) soon to be underway re-use of the old Hobson UMC site to turn the old church into mixed use and add 10 homes.  We cherish our neighborhood for its walkability, the tight knit community of neighbors, and our proximity to downtown. 

Do you have any clue what the hold up is with the redevelopment of Hobson UMC? I thought it was already under construction.

2 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Do you have any clue what the hold up is with the redevelopment of Hobson UMC? I thought it was already under construction.

I asked Councilman Withers last night if he had any update.  Apparently, Clay is still revising the plans he has to submit to Planning before the project can move forward.

• Like 2