Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

I am not a Realtor or a builder, but I suspect that one major reason for not demolishing the Eastland Kroger store and building a new one to the street is the high cost of demolishing that building.  And again, what would result from building a grocery store to the street is that there would be mostly blank walls facing the street and pedestrians would get off at the bus stop (assuming that the interest is in pedestrian accessibility) and then walk all the way entirely around to the "back" of the building to get to the grocery store entrance.  The information that I consistently receive from those in the grocery store business is that grocery stores must have parking in front of the door, wherever that is located.  This may not be the case for a grocery store located in the base of a multi-story building, but it is quite difficult for me to foresee a multistory building with an immense parking garage going up at Eastland and Gallatin unless Kroger wanted to sell the lot entirely.  Even in that scenario, there are some constraints on the lot and Kroger does not own the entire block.  I am also not certain about the level of community support for such a large structure going up at that location.  This is all speculation on my part, because, again, I am not a commercial realtor or a builder.  But these are some observations that I would offer.

Thanks for the insight Brett. I never really thought Kroger would build to the street. I think my wanting them to knock the old one down probably stems from using their restroom (which is back in the store room).....it's kinda scary back there. I hope they do more than just some new shelves and paint. There is a Kroger in downtown Grosse Pointe MI that has an entrance in the front and one in the back. It's not a huge store...but it's nice and doesn't make you irritated when you walk in.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Does Kroger still have the 1970s style "atrium" designs up there in Nashville?  So dated! 

The Eastland Kroger is pre atrium. It was built in 1978 and basically has th same design it started with. I think there may be a few atrium stores....but many have been remodeled 

• Like 1

I apologize if I've already stated this, but it bears repeating. I am a resident of East Nashville (CD 5).

The new Sprouts should be built to the street. The current proposal is wholly suburban in nature and is inappropriate for any neighborhood in the core of Nashville.

That's all.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 2

I mean, really... Would it be so difficult to build a structure with an entrance facing the street AND one facing the rear parking lot?!

Sure, the interior layout would need to be modified from what we consider typical for a conventional grocery store, but it's not like there is anything that forces a developer to create only one entrance and doom every other side of the building to a fate of boring, blank walls. I'm honestly confused by this "either-or" mentality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FatherLand said:

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about if the parking lot is in the front or the back, or if the entrance is in the front back or side? 

Having the store directly address the street will encourage an active & vibrant Gallatin Road which is more friendly to bicyclists, pedestrians and transit users, rather than being designed as if it were being built in sprawlville.

• Like 1

How does this not encourage an active and vibrant Gallatin Road? Because one of the 6 proposed buildings is 150 feet from Gallatin and doesn't directly address a street? They are adding in large sidewalks, b-cycle stations, a new covered bus stop and crosswalks to an area of Gallatin currently with none of those things. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 3

On 1/13/2017 at 11:17 AM, FatherLand said:

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about if the parking lot is in the front or the back, or if the entrance is in the front back or side? 

That's like getting a 10% raise and then complaining because your taxes are going up 

A lot of people want the neighborhood to be pedestrian friendly. This is the point in time when we have a tiny chance to encourage that vs. developers slapping down a standard suburban layout, which feeds the cycle of designing for car traffic first and pedestrian traffic as a lower priority, thus making people less likely to walk. Based on the details from Brett it sounds unlikely here, but designs have been altered before based on community feedback.

Is the 10% raise just the fact that they're building a grocery store? Are you saying you're so happy they're building a grocery store that other concerns are irrelevant?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AronG said:

A lot of people want the neighborhood to be pedestrian friendly. This is the point in time when we have a tiny chance to encourage that vs. developers slapping down a standard suburban layout, which feeds the cycle of designing for car traffic first and pedestrian traffic as a lower priority, thus making people less likely to walk. Based on the details from Brett it sounds unlikely here, but designs have been altered before based on community feedback.

Is the 10% raise just the fact that they're building a grocery store? Are you saying you're so happy they're building a grocery store that other concerns are irrelevant?

Yes. Instead of discussing the 80% great news, we're complaining about the 20% bad news. Mind you, this is merely my opinion, feel free to respectfully disagree.

3 minutes ago, AronG said:

We're all dishing out opinions here, and mostly respectfully. :) To me a grocery store would be a welcome addition, but that alone does not constitute 80% great news. To me the higher goal is to encourage development that leaves us more neighborhood/community friendly, typically meaning more encouraging to foot traffic. I feel your point about needless griping and negativity, but there's a constructive case to be made here. As a neighborhood, love it or hate it, we're growing in population and affluence and will be more and more attractive to retailers. They're going to develop in whatever style we allow, but their starting offer is often going to be based on what's easiest for them. I get that it isn't some people's thing to care about where the effing entrance is, etc., but I would only hope to convince you that your neighbors expressing wishes for a different layout aren't being pointlessly whiny, but are pursuing a well-intentioned goal.

Ha, how can i possibly disagree with that! You're right and thanks for your feedback.  I'm excited to see how it all turns out 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

Because one of the 6 proposed buildings is 150 feet from Gallatin and doesn't directly address a street? 

Exactly.

On 1/16/2017 at 8:33 AM, AronG said:

This. 1000x this. Nashville has a long history of setting aside solid planning practices (when it comes to urban form) just because the new development is seen as a positive by some in the community.

4 hours ago, AronG said:

As a neighborhood, love it or hate it, we're growing in population and affluence

Last I checked, East Nashville's population hasn't increased significantly in the past 20 years. The affluence assertion is entirely valid.

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

Last I checked, East Nashville's population hasn't increased significantly in the past 20 years. The affluence assertion is entirely valid.

True, though it is hard to see how it won't grow some with the hundreds of new apartments that have just come on line or are coming on line on and near Main/Gallatin.

As someone who lives in the neighborhood directly behind the proposed market, I'm glad the parking lot, loading docks, etc. aren't crammed between Gallatin and our residential neighborhood.  Like Brett ably pointed out, putting a grocery store directly against the street could actually be less pedestrian friendly.  I think Scott and the rest of the crew at Smith Gee have done a good job working within the limits given by Sprouts and addressing Gallatin AND the adjoining streets with the other buildings.  

Building to the street is an admirable goal, but like any other goal, you need to be flexible in how you carry it out.

Edited by Nashville Cliff
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/01/17/21-room-airbnb-type-hotel-eyed-east-nashville/96678890/

Blah

AirBNB Hotel planned for 941 Main Street (Empty lot next to Koi Sushi)

IMG_0435.JPG

Looks like a Micro-tel off some random highway interstate exit. 

Edited by TnNative
Update

3 minutes ago, TnNative said:

Looks like a Micro-tel off a random highway interstate. 

A hotel in East Nash would be great - something of the small boutique variety like an Ace Hotel could be a nice addition. But this. An AirBNB hotel seems questionable - are there successful (beyond $$) examples? And, wow, are those renderings horrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

A hotel in East Nash would be great - something of the small boutique variety like an Ace Hotel could be a nice addition. But this. An AirBNB hotel seems questionable - are there successful (beyond $$) examples? And, wow, are those renderings horrid.

I have not been able to find examples of other AirBNB hotels. There's a 'boutique' hotel (Holiday Jones) in the works on Main Street closer to downtown. It should break ground in the late spring.

Edited by WebberThomas4

• dmillsphoto changed the title to Davidson East: Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory
  • markhollin changed the title to Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory