Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

4 minutes ago, bwithers1 said:

Here is the link to the full Envision Cayce Kirkpatrick Park presentation http://www.nashville-mdha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Envision-Cayce-2017_01_26-Public-Meeting.pdf.  The presentation was very well received.  Smith Gee Studio did a really nice job.  I particularly like the corner pocket parks at the corners of 8th/Sylvan and 9th/Sylan that will in one case permit the saving of some trees and in both cases will help to smooth the transition into the surrounding neighborhood.

Which phase would replace the brick buildings in the front that line Shelby right as we enter East Nashville?

From today's Nashville Post regarding the Hill Center Greenwood on Gallatin Pike:

Gallatin property sells, seemingly to house Young's Fashion retail business

The owner of one of the Gallatin Avenue retail businesses to be eventually displaced by the development of Hill Center Greenwood has purchased a property located nearby.

Young’s Fashion, currently located at 1135 Gallatin, has bought the car wash property located at 1411 Gallatin for $750,000, according to documents filed with the Davidson County Register of Deeds.

H.G. Hill Realty Co. is targeting a summer 2019 opening for its Hill Center Greenwood proposed for East Nashville. The development will be anchored by a Sprouts Farmers Market grocery store.

The existing retail building currently home to Athlete’s Foot and Young’s Fashion, among others, will be demolished to accommodate the Sprouts structure.

• Like 3

I don't really get the whole "it's a drive-in movie" but you don't actually drive in.  Sitting in fake cars that are already there seems kind of dumb.  But hey if we get full service + bar I'm all for it.  Hopefully they won't play whatever the standard list that movie theaters play and maybe they will get a little out there with the movie choices.

And here is my annual Roxy Theater rant:

The Roxy should open as a Belcourt II type place, playing independent, classics, cult movies, documentaries but focus more on music themed concert docs and concert videos.  Hell, I'd pay good money to stream live shows there if they had a bar and room to groove.

11 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I don't really get the whole "it's a drive-in movie" but you don't actually drive in.  Sitting in fake cars that are already there seems kind of dumb.  But hey if we get full service + bar I'm all for it.  Hopefully they won't play whatever the standard list that movie theaters play and maybe they will get a little out there with the movie choices.

Maybe you can get a five dollar milkshake...

pulp-fiction-milkshake_zpsu6oqa7vu.jpg

• Like 3

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/02/07/exclusive-restaurateur-reveals-concepts-slated-for.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Grill Cheeserie and Biscuit Love among the restaurants being eyed for the Hunter's Campus near Five Points. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I want to hate it because it's so nostalgia-infused and cheesy, but I can't quite settle into it because it also seems kind of bizarre and ambitious. A giant air supported dome with a simulated starry sky? Indoor trees? The largest non-IMAX screen in North America? How is any of this even financially viable?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Not complaining but I just Googled mapped and the Biscuit Love in the Gulch is literally 3.4 miles away. Shorter as the crow flies.

• Like 1

I agree AronG. The whole concepts smacks of "theme park".  But I've come to a point at the age of 46 that I really don't get a lot of whatever becomes popular. One of many reasons I'm not a dot-com billionaire, I guess.  I also despise crowds; so I guess that's a factor too. LOL  I just marvel at what the wealthy will try out as a concept.  This one seems pretty basic and (obviously) throw-back.  I thought that 1950s nostalgia was well beyond the point of being revived, but I guess as long as there are baby boomers we'll have continuing attempts to "relive" the experience. I find it interesting that the money behind this is not local, but actually NYC investors.  Speaks to how things in Nashville have changed since I lived there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TnNative said:

Not complaining but I just Googled mapped and the Biscuit Love in the Gulch is literally 3.4 miles away. Shorter as the crow flies.

I agree with you but I guess they see that the demand is there. It seems like a new restaurant pops up every day, so I wonder how long this boom will last. IMO, east Nashville needs more casual/to go places like Calypso or Mitchell's. I'd love for Baja Burrito to open their 2nd store over here. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I agree AronG. The whole concepts smacks of "theme park".  But I've come to a point at the age of 46 that I really don't get a lot of whatever becomes popular. One of many reasons I'm not a dot-com billionaire, I guess.  I also despise crowds; so I guess that's a factor too. LOL  I just marvel at what the wealthy will try out as a concept.  This one seems pretty basic and (obviously) throw-back.  I thought that 1950s nostalgia was well beyond the point of being revived, but I guess as long as there are baby boomers we'll have continuing attempts to "relive" the experience. I find it interesting that the money behind this is not local, but actually NYC investors.  Speaks to how things in Nashville have changed since I lived there. 

This was my thought too -- who is nostalgic for the drive-in? and are those people going to pay $20 to go to a first run movie? or a maybe a Doris Day one?

16 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I agree with you but I guess they see that the demand is there. It seems like a new restaurant pops up every day, so I wonder how long this boom will last. IMO, east Nashville needs more casual/to go places like Calypso or Mitchell's. I'd love for Baja Burrito to open their 2nd store over here. 

I'd love to see (maybe there is one in the city?) a food hall that supports upstart food entrepreneurs providing them stalls to cook or sale prepared foodstuffs, as well as assistance with growing their brand or establishing brick/mortar restaurants. It might help with diversifying the food scene. I could use some more "ethnic" options ;-)

45 minutes ago, Gracie said:

This was my thought too -- who is nostalgic for the drive-in? and are those people going to pay $20 to go to a first run movie? or a maybe a Doris Day one?

I got the impression from one article I read (from the Tennessean, I believe?) that there would be several tiers of pricing, starting at around $8 and topping out at the $20 mark. It was not clear exactly what would define the difference between these price points, but one would think it will come down to the amenities provided.

I, for one, will be thrilled to have a theater showing first-run movies only minutes from my house so that I don't have to make the trek to Green Hills, Opry Mills, etc.--especially if the prices are comparable!

Edited by Vrtigo

19 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

Not sure which sections of the city you have explored, but, we have a great "ethnic" food scene in this city.

I meant specifically on the East side. I'm sure that there's much I have yet to find in the city, but I do love the markets and restaurants on Nolensville/Thompson Lane.

13 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

I got the impression from one article I read (from the Tennessean, I believe?) that there would be several tiers of pricing, starting at around $8 and topping out at the $20 mark. It was not clear exactly what would define the difference between these price points, but one would think it will come down to the amenities provided.

I, for one, will be thrilled to have a theater showing first-run movies only minutes from my house so that I don't have to make the trek to Green Hills, Opry Mills, etc.--especially if the prices are comparable!

I'd love a movie theater too -- but leery of the actual movie experience in this concept. Presumably the $8 tix would be the stadium seating that is behind a field of cars and swingsets. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Gracie said:

I meant specifically on the East side. I'm sure that there's much I have yet to find in the city, but I do love the markets and restaurants on Nolensville/Thompson Lane.

It's just funny to me since I grew up in East Nashville and during that time the height of our culinary scene was essentially: Mrs. Winners, The Knife and Fork, and Shoneys.

Now that area has: Two Ten Jack, Mas Tacos, Far East, and Nicolettos (to just name a few)

9 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

It's just funny to me since I grew up in East Nashville and during that time the height of our culinary scene was essentially: Mrs. Winners, The Knife and Fork, and Shoneys.

Now that area has: Two Ten Jack, Mas Tacos, Far East, and Nicolettos (to just name a few)

I hear you and I certainly love having those nearby.