Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

A couple of hints:

-There is another venue being added to the former Capitol City Mattress/Fluffo Mattress complex that houses Fat Bottom Brewery and Edley's BBQ.  I believe that it is called "The Filling Station," and it is an existing business that is in 12South that is adding a location here in E Nash.  This is a place that will fill a growler with something like 12 local brews on tap.  I am not a beer person, so I had to look up what a growler is.  The original plans called for 2 breweries in this location anyway, so this will be the 2nd.  Practially that entire block (900 block of Main and the 900 block of Woodland) is being redeveloped now that Fluffo has closed and sold the building.  There is a ton going on right in there (sorry, no crains).

-There is a residential townhouse complex proposed for Chicamauga Ave in the Greenwood Neighbors area.  I'm not sure if the design will be like the West Eastland ones at Eastland/McFerrin or not.  That portion of Greenwood is covered by a Conservation Overlay, so there will be a design review.  The developer is presenting at the Greenwood Neighbors community meeting tonight, but I can't go because I have to be at my own (Eastwood) community meeting tonight.  I will try to get details.

Here is a Bites article about some of the items that I had previously reported.  The article describes The Filling Station (beer growler filling) going in the former Fluffo Mattress location at 900 Main as well as Hop Stop growler filling on Gallatin Rd just south of Trinity Lane.http://www.nashvillescene.com/bites/archives/2013/02/21/the-hop-stop-the-filling-station-bringing-beer-refill-boom-to-east-nashville?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NashvilleSceneBites+%28Nashville+Scene%3A+Bites%29

The latter is a welcome addition to Gallatin Road's mid-section, which has a few cool things going in beside the chains (McDonalds, Wendys, Popeye's, Dollar General, et al are all within a couple of blocks of the Trinity Lane intersection).  The Hop Stop will be very close to Logue's Black Raven Emporium cult movie house right at the corner on Trinity.

Other cool-ish businesses nearby are Ghot Wings, which is a wing shop that holds live music events periodically, including one recent event where the lead singer from The Alabama Shakes played with a pick-up band in the wing shop) and LOVE East Nashville, which I think is the location of East Nashville Underground music venue.  All of these are places that you would miss if you were not looking for them.

• Like 1

John contacted me and told me he had heard that there is a condo tower planned in E Nash at the site of the Fatherland Flats at some point. I think it will be a while because they are spending a million dollars for the upgrades there. I dont find it too far fetched because the E Nash has a lot of development potential especially for high rise.

The condo tower project has me slightly puzzled. I can't see a building of any more than seven stories. And even that would seemingly fit better on Main Street. Given the big hill that  rises on the west side of South Fifth, you would have to live on, say, Floor 5 (at the minimum) to have views of downtown. This will be interesting to follow if it materializes.

WW

Save the Hull 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Would love to see this happen. That lot has been a congregation point for the homeless and criminals. The more empty lots we fill on the east side, the better

MDHA announced today that they have selected EJP Consulting Group as a consultant for the Cayce Place public housing redevelopment.  The press release was sent out today from Mark Drury, MDHA Director of Communications.  Maybe the press release will be on their website soon. 

Others working on the project will be Duvernay and Brooks, a nationally-known financial advisory and development firm, Nashville-based Smith Gee Studios architects, Barge Cauthen engineers, another Nashville organization called Urban Blueprint, and Randall Gross/Development Economics.

In a related note, an organization has formed in the East Nashville community that is called Cayce Place Revitalization Foundation.  Their website is www.cayceplace.org.  The founders are well-known and respected East Nashvillians Bob Borzak and Randall Gilberd.

This is going to be a long-term but much needed process to better integrate the various ethnic and income groups into one community in the southernmost portion of East Nashville rather than the very divided area that exists there now. 

In other related news, that little corner grocery/drug store building at 6th/Shelby that HG Hill owns is being rehabbed for a tenant.  Word on the street is that it will be a Save-A-Lot, but I haven't confirmed that.

Update on Cayce redevelopment:  the first planning meeting for the long-term redevelopment of the Cayce homes will take place on Thursday, March 14th at the Martha O'Bryan Center on South 7th Street.  The meeting is scheduled to begin at 6:00 PM.  If you go, and you drive to the meeting, please watch your speed:  the speed limit on South 7th is 20 MPH and is strictly enforced!

East Nashville continues to have some proposals for multifamily housing pop up in relatively unexpected places:

-Shelby Hills:  There is a proposal for something like close to 10 residences on a lot at 18th/Sevier in the Shelby Hills neighborhood near Shelby Park.  Killer views of the Vinnylinks golf course and the historic picnic areas overlooking the Cumberland River.  It's called Cathedral something. 

-South Inglewood:  There is also a proposal called Cahal Corners at 1621-23 Cahal Ave.   I don't have a good feeling about this one.  If you haven't been on Cahal, it has many fine older homes that sit way back from the street.  Demolishing one of those homes and cutting the land into a bunch of tiny lots (15?)would probably move that street backwards, not forward.

-In the Greenwood neighborhood, the Chicamauga Ave condo/townhouse proposal (5 townhomes with garages on a lot near Chicamauga/Gallatin) that I mentioned previously goes before the BZA this week.  That street is crazy convenient:  it runs between the Eastland Kroger on the east and Pharmacy Burger's beer garden and Mas Tacos on the west. If you get too many carbs from the beers/burgers/tacos/Holland House cocktails, you can work it out at the Crossfit Gym next door.  And it is steps to the Gallatin 26 (local stops) bus and the Gallatin 56 (BRTlite) bus.

All of these residential areas would be considered "urban pioneer" locations (less so Greenwood, more so Shelby Hills, definitely South Inglewood) that are doing surpisingly well in terms of infill housing.  None of these are confirmed yet, but they are a sign of things to come.

Some updates on these three items in order:

(1) Cathedral Park Homes, the 10-home project proposed for the NEC of 18th Sevier in Shelby Hills was approved by the planning commission.  I would look for this one to start sooner rather than later.

(2)  Cahal Carners is in the South Inglewood community and will be on the agenda at the upcoming neighborhood meeting on Monday, March 11th at the South Inglewood Community Center.  This proposal is still being tweaked with community input.  This one might take a while.

(3) The Chicagmauga Ave townhomes that I mentioned were presented to the Greenwood Neighbors association and their President wrote a letter in support of their BZA application, which was approved.  Chris Choate is the developer.  I would give this project good chances of selling out for some of the reasons that I posted previously.

Edited by bwithers1

• 4 weeks later...

From what we are hearing around my building is the Adam Liebowitz project at McFerrin and Main is cancelled or at least delayed for an environmental clean-up situation for the lot, and he may have simply walked away. The 703-705 Woodland major project about the size of my building may be dead again along with the rehab of other buildings around the Fluffo Mattress Buildings.

Grant Hammond is looking in to the multi story project for Fatherland and Fifth. This is the project to replace the recently rehabbed apartment project. The one doing the multi story project is the man who just finished the apartment rehab, and he is doing the UA Tower rehab on music row.

The Citgo Gas Station across from my building is for sale for $1.8 million, and is getting a slight facelift with a new awning, fence, and possibly some landscaping.

The lot next to 5th and Main is for sale again by Mark Bloom. His son Lance tried to get zoning for a gas station on the lot, and thankfully it was not approved.

That is all for now.

John

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

The 703-705 Woodland major project about the size of my building may be dead again along with the rehab of other buildings around the Fluffo Mattress Buildings.

Can you clarify what you mean by the second portion of your sentence? The eastern portion of this property along Main has renovation underway. The patio area is taking shape nicely in the Edley's BBQ space. The back portion of the Fluffo properties along Woodland are supposed to be rehabbed for office space, but to my knowledge no timeline has been announced on that. I'm sure that Dan Heller wants to get the front part up and running first. He has a lot of irons in the fire right now!  Further east on Main, part of the old Fluffo properties are actually apartments for the time being. 

The reality is that there is a ton of office space for rent in the Main/Woodland corridor with existing buildings, which doesn't lend itself to much new construction in the short term. The Hardaway Construction office building is under renovation at this moment and will be spectacular. But a lot of other buildings are for lease as office space that are kind of surprising. For example, the East Nashville Storage building (800 Main) is partly for lease as office. And the back portion along Woodland is slated for retail. One of the businesses is supposed to be a bakery called Yeast Nashville.

In other news, the food truck park on Main Street at the old Main Street Salvage lot seems finally to have sprouted some food trucks. I am not sure whether people are actually going to use that building that the owners rehabbed into the food court, though.

Personally, I'm OK with a lot of this stuff getting what is obviously a temporary use. Some day that will all get torn down with decent buildings up to the street. Most of the properties on Woodland are structurally sound crap that sets back behind parking lots. Most of the properties on Main are structurally unsound crap that is falling down but that gets written about in exotic travel/food&wine magazines (I am thinking of Bolton's or Eastside Fish for example).  I know that it is painful, but I would rather deal with this crap and wait several years for a quality building than to have an AT&T store or something built new that is underwhelming.

Residentially, it would be interesting to see what kind of height is permitted at the Fatherland Flats lot.  If a variance is required to build above a certain height, it is difficult for me to imagine the neighborhood supporting it.  But I could see a more-dense development go there that is maybe 5 stories or something.   I would think that the higher-rise properties would be built more along Main Street.

EOA moving to 5th/Main:

WW has the news the EOA architects has announced where they will land once they vacate their building at 4th/KVB in Sobro to make way for a music venue to occopy that space.  They are moving to 5th/Main!  http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/4/5/sobros_eoa_to_move_to_east_side

This will be great for EOA to move into this space.  This will be especially great for their many architects who live in East Nashville anyway and won't have to cross the river anymore.

Now if we can just get Ragan Smith to do something with their extremely drab building a block down the street next to I-24.

What is moving into the Hardaway building?  They are still a thriving business (I believe).  Where are they moving?

Not sure ML, but I have walked by and they have done some extensive work inside the building. Not sure who is moving in, but several buildings along Main are under contract or being rehabbed at the moment.

The Hardaway building is being renovated for Class-A office space by the same owner (Christian Paro) as the Paro South Creative Office Suites next door.  The building is being re-branded as Center615.  Chad Grout is handling the leasing on this office space.

According to this article in the Nashville Post, Hardaway is staying in the building but is leasing back a portion http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/12/11/paro_buys_east_side_building_home_to_hardaway_for_27m.

This article lists some of the confirmed tenants for the non-Hardaway portion of the building http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/3/18/center_615_to_open_april_1.  The "soft opening" apparently was April 1st with a grand opening in June.

Not sure ML, but I have walked by and they have done some extensive work inside the building. Not sure who is moving in, but several buildings along Main are under contract or being rehabbed at the moment.

Edited by bwithers1

East Nashville development links:

-Here is a link for Cleveland/McFerrin Park development activity from our friend, Dane Forlines, who is the President of the McFerrin Park Neighborhood Association, http://www.focusoncities.org/mcferrin-park-development-updates.html . I am not certain of the date of all of these postings on the blog. There is reporting on the new fire station at Cleveland and Meridian, which is now completed.  The additional housing development portion of the Winberry Place development in Cleveland Park is tied up in the divorce proceedings of Mr. and Mrs. Winfrey.

-The East Nashvillian Magazine article on recent/coming East Nashville development is listed on Page 16 http://theeastnashvillian.com/EN_16.pdf.  This article was written by Eric Jans, who is (or was) the chair of Chamber East, the East Nashville sub-group of the Nashville Chamber of Commerce.

Edited by bwithers1

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of Martin Corner, there does appear to be some kind of work going on in the Phase V area, which is at the SEC 10th/Fatherland.  I need to get by there to look.  For a while, I thought that it was just additional stuff going on with the adjacent Shoppes at Fatherland and East Centric Pavilion, but perhaps it could be construction on Phase V.  Nearby, the parking lot at the SEC of 11th/Fatherland would be Phase VI of Martin's Corner.  There are no signs of activity there at present.  I haven't heard anything specific on that one yet, but I wouldn't rule anything out, either. 

The old French Quarter Cafe is being renovated into a new restaurant/music venue space. Something like Cry Wolf?  I can't remember the new name.  It should be open later this year.  Powell Studio is probably working on that one.  They work on a ton of stuff in East (such as all of Walden on Eastland, for example).  Powell is located on Shelby between 10th/11th, so they are local to East Nashville and do a lot of work in that area.

1016 Woodland is also being rehabbed for a restaurant.  Is this one Cajun?  I can't remember.  There are so many restaurants opening in the larger East Nashville area that it seems pointless to keep track. Several of these in Five Points are new restaurants that are replacing other restaurants or businesses that closed and so are not really new developments per se.

Meanwhile, the old Edgefield Cafe space next to EastSide Cycles and Bongo Java was closed by the Sheriff's office for nonpayment of taxes or something.  There is a lot of speculation as to what might go there.  It will almost certainly be another restaurant.  Personally, I would hope for a late-night diner.  Something other than the food trucks to sober up the drunks coming out of all of the Five Points bars.  Actually the few restaurants that have breakfast in East Nashville are small and packed, so another breakfast addition would have a built-in market.  I live near the Nashville Biscuit House on Gallatin Rd (formerly the Knife and Fork) and there are literally lines out in the parking lot waiting to get in there for breakfast.  Nothing has been announced to date for the Edgefield Cafe site (which is not in Edgefield, it's in East End, but that's quibbling on my part).

Also, the former Mrs. Winners on Gallatin that was going to be a new Jets Pizza, supposedly with a beer garden, is on hold or cancelled.  The owner of the Jets Pizza locations recently purchased Feast, which used to be Germantown Cafe East, in the 5th/Main building.  Word on the street is that he is putting his time and attention into Feast and will not focus on the Jets pizza for now. I'm not sure what will happen with that building unless everyone's dream comes true and the city declares imminent domain to demolish it for the Civic Oval in front of the library. 

There is a Planning Commission hearing this week to convert a house next door to Holland House (West Eastland at McFerrin) into a coffee shop.  There is a Planning Commission docket for this house and also an SP application for this house and the one to the rear on Chicamauga that will remain residential.  This expansion of commercial space into the residential area seems to enjoy large, but not unanimous, neighborhood support in the Maxwell Heights and Greenwood neighborhoods.  There will be parking for the coffee shop in the rear off the same alley that serves Holland House and Pharmacy.  East Nashville is starting to get enough coffee shops that quite a few of the neighborhoods can now walk to our own coffee shops, although that doesn't stop people from driving, no matter how much they talk about sustainability and pedestrian-oriented development.  Hence the concern about parking that frequently gets voiced about new commercial zoning among or adjacent to residential areas.

Edited by bwithers1