Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Just a thought...but maybe people who choose to live in a place like East Nashville or 12 South should alter their lifestyle to fit an urban neighborhood rather than expecting that the urban neighborhood be altered to fit their lifestyle.  Is your gigantic 12 mpg SUV hard to park in an urban area?  Maybe consider trading it in for a smaller car or using alternative transport instead of expecting there to be ample large parking spaces and wide streets to make it more comfortable for your huge vehicle.  I know I sound snarky, but that really isnt my intention.  

I just really think that this is a mentality that Nashvillians in general need to get over.  You cant have your cake and eat it too.  You can either have vibrant, healthy, walkable urban neighborhoods, or you can have the Nashville of the 80's that catered to the auto with wide streets and huge parking lots in front of every building.  You cant have both.  

I was referencing my living in Bellevue, when I was talking about the lack of parking on that site plan. I think, in 2017, many of those units will have 3 people living in them, they will have cars, and will park on the side streets, creating a bad situation with the neighbors. 

I agree about altering your lifestyle to live urban, but as I find in 12South that is a rare mindset. Everyone "loves" 12South but when they turn the corner onto a side street, they want to be living in West Meade. I think with time, people will adapt. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I was referencing my living in Bellevue, when I was talking about the lack of parking on that site plan. I think, in 2017, many of those units will have 3 people living in them, they will have cars, and will park on the side streets, creating a bad situation with the neighbors. 

I agree about altering your lifestyle to live urban, but as I find in 12South that is a rare mindset. Everyone "loves" 12South but when they turn the corner onto a side street, they want to be living in West Meade. I think with time, people will adapt. 

Agreed my friend...and for the record, I wasn't directing that at you specifically.  I just think Nashvillians in general need to get over their suburban mindset if they really want to have an urban wonderland.

• Like 4

From the Nashville Post:

Nashville-based boutique developer Harpeth Development has announced completion on the A building of its Solo East residential project in South Inglewood is set for three weeks.

The first building is finished.

Presales, which began in late 2015, of Solo East's one-bedroom units started at $149,900 and two-bedrooms started at $189,900. The sales are now closing.

Solo East faces Litton Avenue about a block east of Gallatin Pike.

Kline Swinney Associates is the architect and project consultant, with Hardaway Construction as the general contractor. Both companies are based locally.

Bruce McNeilage, Harpeth Development president, said a grand opening for Solo East will be next week with details forthcoming.

McNeilage said up to 80 percent of the Solo East buyers are under 35 years old and the average preconstruction buyer is realizing a $50,000 gain at closing.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 1.58.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 1.59.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 1.59.17 PM.png

• Like 1

We were over at East Nashville Beer Works this weekend, and man, half the East Trinity corridor is under construction. When this and the other developments around there (Vibe, etc.) are done it really looks like it may hit the right density and mix of uses to turn into a great pedestrian neighborhood. I wish there were more of these types of projects in the works further down Gallatin, but it seems like instead of a gradual price increase as you get closer to the city, the financial model flips completely somewhere along the way. These guys are somehow dropping $150K units in the middle of the affordability crisis, and they were snapped up quickly. Meanwhile it's hard to imagine any new construction south of Douglas selling for even double that, I assume due to an unholy combination of NIMBY resistance to density along with current property owners holding out for maximum paydays.

23 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

This may have been talked about on here before, but what is happening on Davidson St right before you get into Shelby Park? They have cleared out lots of land right when you go around the corner to enter the park. 

I believe Piedmont is running a new gas line under the river. 

The car wash across from NADC has been demolished.  Work on the Sinker's expansion continues, the pizza place at the end of the strip mall has vacated and they are working on the signage of the entire strip mall.  Not much has happened where they demolished the old flower shop.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 7:43 AM, grilled_cheese said:

The car wash across from NADC has been demolished.  Work on the Sinker's expansion continues, the pizza place at the end of the strip mall has vacated and they are working on the signage of the entire strip mall.  Not much has happened where they demolished the old flower shop.

Some stuff I observed last week / this weekend:

- A building permit has been issued for the old tire shop next to Biscuit House. The roof was removed, but then work stopped for a couple of months. I think this will be a really interesting building along Gallatin once complete. 

- Across the street and a little further north, I saw a small excavator working in one of the garage bays of the old service station next to Hunan Express. This was rumored to be a new burger bar several months ago. 

- 1006 Gallatin Avenue (building next to the Dog Spot) now has a for lease banner hanging on it. For months the building had been for sale. Based off the number on the banner, Chad Baker appears to be involved now. 

- The roof on the former WalMart has been completely removed. Also, the construction fencing is now all the way up to Gallatin. 

-  The MadDonnas building is for sale for $1.85 million. http://urbangrout.com/listings/?propertyId=201395-sale 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Some stuff I observed last week / this weekend:

- A building permit has been issued for the old tire shop next to Biscuit House. The roof was removed, but then work stopped for a couple of months. I think this will be a really interesting building along Gallatin once complete. This building along with Alvin's Car Lot is owned by the Baker Brothers.  The Bakers are having the tire shop structure renovated and plan to lease it as office space.  They also have work taking place in the former Horner Rausch building on Main Street.

- Across the street and a little further north, I saw a small excavator working in one of the garage bays of the old service station next to Hunan Express. This was rumored to be a new burger bar several months ago.  This property was going to be converted to a gourmet burger restaurant, as you mention, but that deal may have fallen through.  That renovation permit was issued sometime in 2016.  I am not certain about the current plans or status.  I, too, noticed the construction equipment and crews on site over the weekend.

- 1006 Gallatin Avenue (building next to the Dog Spot) now has a for lease banner hanging on it. For months the building had been for sale. Based off the number on the banner, Chad Baker appears to be involved now.  There would be obvious advantages to having a single ownership group control this entire block face.  Stay tuned.

- The roof on the former WalMart has been completely removed. Also, the construction fencing is now all the way up to Gallatin. Work is progressing on the demolition to turn the Walmart store into self storage.  I am excited to see the new retail come online built up to Gallatin at the front of this property.  With the new Hill Center being constructed over the next two years just south of here, there will be a few gaps that will remain that will be ripe for renovation or redevelopment in the coming years.

-  The MadDonnas building is for sale for $1.85 million. http://urbangrout.com/listings/?propertyId=201395-sale 

A few comments in italics.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:43 AM, grilled_cheese said:

Young's Fashion purchased that property around the first of the year with the intent to move there from their current spot on Gallatin/Greenwood where the new Hill Center is proposed.  I presume that Young's Fashion will be constructing a new store on this site where the recently demolished car wash used to sit.  Keep in mind that the Gallatin Road UDO does not require buildings to be constructed up to the street, and this property sits outside of the redevelopment districts.  So I will be interested in seeing what the new structure and site plan looks like. 

Edited by bwithers1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Core Development plans 170 homes (mix of single-family freestanding homes, town homes and condominiums) on 11.3 acres near the SW corner of Ellington Parkway and Trinity Lane.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20856943/residential-project-eyed-for-east-side

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.38.08 AM.png

There is a magnificent view of downtown from that hill where the water tanks sit.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, markhollin said:

It appears that PSC and Shelby Land Company have reached an agreement out of court on their potential lawsuit over value of the land.  Ugh.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/04/05/agreement-reached-in-psc-metals-lawsuit.html

Ugh is correct. I wonder if we will find out more, but it is safe to say that the out of court settlement was reached to save PSC a few $$$

The issue for the land owners is, obviously, it would be difficult to develop their site if PSC is still operating next door. Nobody would want to live next door to a dump. Thus, a settlement is reached ...

• Like 1

To go along with the Music City Star Donelson Station (noted 4 entries above). here is a plan for 198 apartments on 6.5 acres right next to that.  Very exciting to see how development can start gaining momentum around the idea of mass transit.  Yay!  

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/04/06/198-apartments-commercial-space-planned-site-near-donelson-station/100104934/

Also, more details on the suitors for the 5.1 acre train station project here:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/04/05/donelson-transit-oriented-project-suitors-revealed/100077778/

• Like 4