Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

The Mexican Restaurant at the old Sine building near 5points is the same management from Las Fiestas in Inglewood, people in East Nashville will love it.

Also, The Hop Stop is also under construction at the former Red Dog Scooters location at the corner of Gallatin Rd and Trinity Ln, this is the same management as the Village Pub over on Riverside Village

Huh, I heard same people as Las Maracas...looking forward to the Hop Stop. That little spot on Gallatin Road around Trinity Lane and Litton Ave has been particularly gritty in the past...they just installed a police camera with the flashing blue light...good to see small businesses like Pepperfire, B Side Salon, Logue's Black Raven Emporium, and now The Hop Stop venture forward...

Edited by TnNative

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Another new business just opened. It's called Reclaiming. They sell reclaimed wood and make end tables and coffee tables. They also sell re-used metal items like knives.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

Huh, I heard same people as Las Maracas...looking forward to the Hop Stop. That little spot on Gallatin Road around Trinity Lane and Litton Ave has been particularly gritty in the past...they just installed a police camera with the flashing blue light...good to see small businesses like Pepperfire, B Side Salon, Logue's Black Raven Emporium, and now The Hop Stop venture forward...

All within walking distance of my house. East Hill rising. :)

The two buildings on that corner (building that Hop Stop is going into and the former veterinarian building that Black Raven is in) have both been in my family for many years. I love seeing what they have become, I am sure the neighborhood will enjoy them for years to come.

New Bakery for East Nashville on Woodland.

http://eastnashvilleguru.com/1225/yeast-nashville-coming-soon

This one was announced maybe 3-4 months ago.  I'm glad to see that it is finally open.  There is another bakery next door, although I can't recall the name.  East Nashville is getting quite a collection of bakeries if you add these two, Bagel Face Bagels (relocated to 7th/Main from Riverside Village), Sweet 16 Bakery at 16th/Ordway, and the bakeries that have come and gone in Porter East (Almond Tree, then Foxy Bakery, now something else about exotic desserts in that same spot).  I still feel like I am missing a few!

• 3 weeks later...

Rendering of Chapel Lofts proposal at Greenwood and Chapel.  This is right by my house.  I like the way they have kept the historic portions of the church and parsonage and how they have worked the parking internally, maintaining the green space fronting both streets.  Looks good to me, especially if they do work in some mixed use in the sanctuary space.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151578122032798&set=a.10151578115562798.1073741826.221288922797&type=1&theater

Rendering of Chapel Lofts proposal at Greenwood and Chapel.  This is right by my house.  I like the way they have kept the historic portions of the church and parsonage and how they have worked the parking internally, maintaining the green space fronting both streets.  Looks good to me, especially if they do work in some mixed use in the sanctuary space.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151578122032798&set=a.10151578115562798.1073741826.221288922797&type=1&theater

Hmmmm...

I'm not sure exactly what to think here. I realize that you're not going to get a true urban development in a place like that (not that you really should, anyways)...but I'm bugged by developments that build back from the street and center around a parking lot. If this were in another neighborhood, it would probably be blasted for having a 'super suburban disgusting design'.

However...I think keeping the church is important...and along with that, the green space you mentioned along the street frontage. That's really what is most appropriate for the neighborhood. The problem is that it forces the development to build right up to the back and sides of the church, lending it to a cluttered feel. Not urban cluttered, either. Ideally, I think less is more in a situation like this. Take away the building closest to the church, and take a few units off the far end of the back of the development, and I think you would have something a little more neighborhood appropriate. JMO.

Of course...I imagine the developer is putting as many units there as possible to make it a more viable development.

I actually know where that church is.  My wife and I are sending the children of a family that lives near there to private schools.  So we've been to their house several times and I always thought that the Hobson church looked beautiful.  Haven't been by there in a couple of years, but I hope they haven't cut down the trees around it... and glad to see that the residential units will go behind it.  That parking lot (IIRC) is really thin and just along the edge of the road.  So, I like that they're preserving the green lawn and trees.  Is this a "go"? 

Hmmmm...

I'm not sure exactly what to think here. I realize that you're not going to get a true urban development in a place like that (not that you really should, anyways)...but I'm bugged by developments that build back from the street and center around a parking lot. If this were in another neighborhood, it would probably be blasted for having a 'super suburban disgusting design'.

However...I think keeping the church is important...and along with that, the green space you mentioned along the street frontage. That's really what is most appropriate for the neighborhood. The problem is that it forces the development to build right up to the back and sides of the church, lending it to a cluttered feel. Not urban cluttered, either. Ideally, I think less is more in a situation like this. Take away the building closest to the church, and take a few units off the far end of the back of the development, and I think you would have something a little more neighborhood appropriate. JMO.

Of course...I imagine the developer is putting as many units there as possible to make it a more viable development.

Of course this is all a matter of opinion, but this seems to me a uniquely American and automobile-centric idea, that buildings should be spread out with lawns in between, instead of clustered.  I personally prefer the clustering effect, this odd way of spreading buildings out with lawns everywhere looks ugly to me, and seems impractical as well. 

In Europe (at least in England and France) even purely rural communities traditionally consist of a tight cluster of buildings surrounded by fields.  Farmers often live in rowhouses with shared side walls, near their fields but not in them.

Incidentally, Neigeville2 is the same poster as Neigeville, I just don't want to sign in through facebook anymore because this site demanding more access (and I believe, violating facebook's TOS).

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Construction has started on the Chicamauga Ave condos/townhomes near Chicamauga and Galaltin.

Not familiar with this. Do you have a rendering?

New residential building is under construction and almost completion on Fatherland between 5th and 6th on the north side. Rustique is opening next to Blue Sky at 7th and Fatherland.

Not familiar with this. Do you have a rendering?

No rendering.  I reported on this one a while back in a post about the cottage development proposals in East Nashville.  Of the three that I reported on at that time, this one on Chicamauga was approved by the Greenwood neighborhood and the BZA (Chris Choate of West Nashville is the developer), one was approved by the Shelby Hills neighborhood and by planning for 18th/Sevier opposite VinnyLinks in Shelby Park (this one is by Cathedral Park, construction has not started yet on this particular project), and the third, Cahal Corners, was opposed by Concerned Citizens of South Inglewood and was ultimately withdrawn by the developer. 

The Chicamauga development is I believe for 5 townhomes with garage parking either in back or possibly underneath.  As I mentioned at the time, this location is super convenient because the Eastland Kroger is practically across the street and Pharmacy / Holland House / Mas Tacos is at the other end of the block.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/east-nashville-retail-strip-sells-for.html

The retail strip at the intersection of Gallatin and Eastland has been sold.

Heres to hoping the new owner does some improvements to the building.

What ever happened with the Urban Design Overlay along that corridor? I heard that it was overturned. So is it just free reign now on building alon Gallatin, or is there some sort of design requirements?

It wasn't a UDO, it was a Specific Plan for most of the stretch, which was deemed overreaching and inhibitive of development.  The new UDO should function like other UDO's in the city.  It's my understanding that the problem is that SP is intended for a specific site or project, rather than a broad 'plan' better suited for a UDO.

What ever happened with the Urban Design Overlay along that corridor? I heard that it was overturned. So is it just free reign now on building alon Gallatin, or is there some sort of design requirements?

I know they have had signs posted all along Gallatin Rd regarding a meeting where they are going to discuss the new Gallatin Rd overlay. Hopefully they will be a littler more strict on the gaudy cigarette stores with all of the obnoxious lighting....among other things.

I know they have had signs posted all along Gallatin Rd regarding a meeting where they are going to discuss the new Gallatin Rd overlay. Hopefully they will be a littler more strict on the gaudy cigarette stores with all of the obnoxious lighting....among other things.

There will not be limits on uses, and unfortunately anything that already exists is pretty much grandfathered in in terms of signage, etc.  That's why I am happy that the design guidelines will at least continue to shape new construction and signs.  If only Codes had the staffing or the willpower to be strict with enforcement of existing laws.  And hopefully some of those gaudy businesses that sell cigarettes et al ("Yes We Can Discount Beer and Tobacco" at Litton and Gallain is particularly galling) will eventually be sold and redeveloped as the lots themselves become more valuable.  I have been a little disappointed to date that so far the gas stations and car wash places that have sold have mostly been kept as gas stations or car washes.  Even the old Krystal at Gallatin and Cahal is becoming a Speedway.  At least it will conform to the SP design guidelines similar to the new Kroger fuel station at Gallatin and Seymour.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

A proposal to redevelop the apartments that sit at the northwest corner of Eastland and Porter will be discussed at the Eastwood neighborhood meeting on Tuesday, August 13th.  Discussions about the Hobson Church renovation and redevelopment proposal are still ongoing with Eastwood neighborhood representatives, the applicant and Councilman Westerholm. 

I noticed this morning that there is a "Coming Soon" sign up at the SEC of 11th and Fatherland.  This is the next phase of the Martin's Corner development that was approved by MHZC a little while back.  This item was discussed previously on here somewhere along with a rendering.