Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

City House's Tandy Wilson Looking to Bring Collo Rosso Pizza Concept to East Nashville

http://nashville.eater.com/2016/4/26/11513752/collo-rosso-tandy-wilson-east-nashville

Madison hires development consultant Randall Gross

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2016/04/20/madison-hires-development-consultant-randall-gross/83244926/

• Like 1

Inglewood Piggly Wiggly to close and property is up for sale at 3611 Gallatin Pike. Plot is 1.5 acres, and structure is 10,700 sq. feet.  Could be converted into restaurant or other retail, or be razed to make room for new mixed-use project.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/04/27/inglewood-piggly-wiggly-grocery-store-close/83608896/

Piggly Wiggly.JPG

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Inglewood Piggly Wiggly to close and property is up for sale at 3611 Gallatin Pike. Plot is 1.5 acres, and structure is 10,700 sq. feet.  Could be converted into restaurant or other retail, or be razed to make room for new mixed-use project.

The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery down the street closed a few months ago. Now the Piggly Wiggly. Unless I'm missing something, that leaves two Kroger stores as the only grocers for the entire stretch of Gallatin Road in East Nashville. Does this help or hurt the ongoing effort / dream to lure a Publix or Trader Joe's to that area?

24 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery down the street closed a few months ago. Now the Piggly Wiggly. Unless I'm missing something, that leaves two Kroger stores as the only grocers for the entire stretch of Gallatin Road in East Nashville. Does this help or hurt the ongoing effort / dream to lure a Publix or Trader Joe's to that area?

Hmmmmm...  Sniffs out as if Kroger is guised as the yet undiscovered "National Grocery Lines", a "conspiracy" to drive out the local competition, in the manner that GM behind the National City Lines (NCL) reportedly contrived for over 3 decades (until Federal court intervention of the early 1950s) to drive out the use of the electric streetcar and trolley coach, in the interest of promoting and restricting purchases of its own brand of diesel buses. -=:ph34r:=-

14 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

There's the Aldi just across Eastland from the "murder" Kroger. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it shuttered as well. 

However, there are two other Piggly Wiggly's on Dickerson, so it's not as if they totally abandoned the east side. 

The grocer selection over here is absolutely atrocious. 

Aldi is owned by the same company as Trader Joe's and they are greatly expanding their selection of organic products. Their low pricing and healthy/organic products, if marketed properly, could prove to be a great asset in a community that includes lower income folks AND hipsters! With other grocers leaving the area, they could be in a position to thrive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvillwill said:

There's the Aldi just across Eastland from the "murder" Kroger. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it shuttered as well. 

11 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Aldi is owned by the same company as Trader Joe's and they are greatly expanding their selection of organic products. Their low pricing and healthy/organic products, if marketed properly, could prove to be a great asset in a community that includes lower income folks AND hipsters! With other grocers leaving the area, they could be in a position to thrive.

I definitely can't imagine the Aldi going away any time soon. That place is absolutely slammin' every time I've ever been there and is our first choice for most items. We only hit up Kroger when something is sold out or otherwise unavailable at Aldi.

• Like 2

I just do not see Trader Joe's in East Nashville. The demographics just are not there. Yes you have the roof tops but not higher end roof tops. There is a huge lower income population in the area that would not jive well with Publix but that could change.

Publix could be more flexible as the have the one in Nashville West. That is more of a stronger mix of upper middle class in the area with some lower income around Charlotte  Pike and Charlotte  Park.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I just do not see Trader Joe's in East Nashville. The demographics just are not there. Yes you have the roof tops but not higher end roof tops. There is a huge lower income population in the area that would not jive well with Publix but that could change.

Publix could be more flexible as the have the one in Nashville West. That is more of a stronger mix of upper middle class in the area with some lower income around Charlotte  Pike and Charlotte  Park.

Plus Publix took over out west when Hills was selling out its food stores, and Publix immediately pounced on that site at Annex Ave.  That entire 18+ year development pattern ─ Nashville West, Costco, the pre-existing Lowes, Wally-World of the late 1990s, Jim-N-Nicks, BoJangles ─ in part appears to have been the result of Metro Councilman Eric Crafton's drive to not bow to NIMBYs in defeat of the sought Wal-Mart zoning change in NW West-Meade, but instead to work out a compromise.  But that part of West Nashville had and has been mostly rural and undeveloped, past Robertson Park, even though it represented (as still does) the confluence of boundaries of several demographic sub-districts.  Developers seem to eye West Nashville to build on less expensive land, especially when they "perceive" a liability associated with a degree of depression in urban properties much closer to the the core.  Near-Gallatin Pike used to be well served by the Hills Stores, as can be observed by the typical full-length corrugated aluminum trimmed soffit onlimestone cladding or brick found on existing repurposed structures along that roadway, from Eastwood to Inglewood/Gillock, and some of us recall when East still had a Krispy-Kreme (South Inglewood or Eastwood, I can't recall).

The Krogers that are rooted in the core still don't have the nearby competition, as a whole, save Belle Meade, G-H, and West Charlotte.  Most Publix' are established pretty far out, although that might change as the smeags said.

13 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

No higher end roof tops?  Have you been to East Nashville in the last 5 years, Ron?  The house a block from me is listed for $895,000 and you can't get into Lockeland Springs, East End, Edgefield, or Eastwood for less than $300,000 unless you are planning to live in a closet.  And Inglewood and the hoods on the west side of Gallatin are blowing up.

That said, West can keep their Trader Joe's and I really don't see the slobbering desire so many show for a Publix.  I've been to the one in Donelson a few times: same stuff for more money and a horrible beer selection.  Even my little Kroger on Eastland has a better beer and coffee selection.

• Like 1

I guess the point I am trying to make is there are not enough higher end roof tops otherwise they would have been there by now. I hope I proved wrong. That was poorly worded on my part. I know there are a lot of high end RT's there, but they are hugely out numbered by the lower income areas.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I guess the point I am trying to make is there are not enough higher end roof tops otherwise they would have been there by now. I hope I proved wrong. That was poorly worded on my part. I know there are a lot of high end RT's there, but they are hugely out numbered by the lower income areas.

And I'm saying that just isn't true anymore.  Other than public housing, all but a few pockets of lower income areas on the east side of Gallatin have completely evaporated in just the last few years.  Gone.  Poof.  Same thing is starting to happen on the west side of Gallatin.  Part of the whole affordable housing crisis.  Note all of the high end restaurants.  One wonders if any of the site-selection "experts" ever turn left or right off of Gallatin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nashville Cliff said:

And I'm saying that just isn't true anymore.  Other than public housing, all but a few pockets of lower income areas on the east side of Gallatin have completely evaporated in just the last few years.  Gone.  Poof.  Same thing is starting to happen on the west side of Gallatin.  Part of the whole affordable housing crisis.  Note all of the high end restaurants.  One wonders if any of the site-selection "experts" ever turn left or right off of Gallatin.

Yeah...I was surprised the last time I was over there (about 6 months ago).  Lots of homes well over $500k.  The place is exploding.

37 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Another church building on East Nashville being repurposed for 5 residential units:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20630411/exeast-nashville-church-building-eyed-for-residences

We'll see if Blackwell succeeds this time, with a "palatable" plan.  Sometimes it takes multiple running-starts, but it usually can be an "uphill" challenge to "crack open" a community of old suburban-settled establishment.

Edited by rookzie

Chester residential project (17 town homes)  on Gallatin Pike to take shape soon according to Nashville Post:

"Core Development and Paragon Group are targeting May for their Chester project to go vertical in East Nashville. Located at 1021-1035 Chester Ave. in South Inglewood specificall, Chester will feature 17 mid-century modern town homes designed by architect Van Pond. Village Real Estate Services, a sister company of Core, is handling marking and sales. Newell Anderson, a member of Village’s CityLiving Group team, told the Post the plan is to start closing on the sale of units in the fall. And early 2017 completion is being eyed."

“We plan to start taking contracts in early May,” Anderson said.

"Paragon Group is also serving as the general contractor. Anderson said Chester’s foundation and slabs are in place.Chester’s 17 homes will offer two- and three-bedroom floor plans. Most of the units will feature top-floor master bedrooms that will allow residents to walk onto partially covered rooftop patios. All units will have attached garages."

Chester.5723816084561.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 6.23.15 PM.png

The Wabash, a mixed-use office/retail building is to be built on site of Fluffo Mattresses (currently being demolished) on Main St. in East Nashville.  The 4-story building will be half offices and half retail/restaurant, w/ 120 parking spaces.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/05/04/wabash-bring-officeretail-space-east-nashville/83916206/

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20630698/east-nashville-mixedused-project-begins

Wabash 1.jpg

Wabash 2.jpg

Edited by markhollin

Top Golf announces they will ad a 550-capacity live concert venue in their entertainment complex, to be called Top Golf Live:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/article/20630697/topgolf-to-include-concert-venue

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/04/first-look-nashvilles-topgolf-complex-will-include.html

Top Golf Live .png

Top Golf Live 2.png

Top Golf Live 3.png

Top Golf Live 4.png

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 2