Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

I am not a golfer, but have been to the one in Atlanta for corporate events and it is a really great place for something different.  It is very classy and well run, so I would imagine the music venue would do well.  As I understand the music venue will  take the place of an amusement game area that they have at the other locations.  This will be a nice addition to that area and the city,

• Like 2

How much?  They only list the garage and parking lot sale price at 1.2 Milli and they listed the main building at 6.5 milli.  I'd be interested to know how much they paid for the main building.

Six eateries?  That means at least a few extra bars.  That is a huge boost to the 'Five Points' area as a bar hopping spot.  Sad to see Hunters go but that's a big deal.

Edited by grilled_cheese

11 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Sad to see Hunters go but that's a big deal.

This really hits home for me personally as I worked there in the summer growing up.
Its weird seeing the east Nashville I grew up with disappear

15 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

How much?  They only list the garage and parking lot sale price at 1.2 Milli and they listed the main building at 6.5 milli.  I'd be interested to know how much they paid for the main building.

Six eateries?  That means at least a few extra bars.  That is a huge boost to the 'Five Points' area as a bar hopping spot.  Sad to see Hunters go but that's a big deal.

I think Metro ordinances still limit liquor sales in close proximity to schools.     East Magnet and Ross Elementary are directly across the street.   Not sure if this will have an impact, but it's certainly something Fresh Hospitality would have thought of.    Although there are existing drinks establishments in that same area that are just as close (No. 308, 5 Spot, etc).   

Edited by CenterHill

7 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

I think Metro ordinances still limit liquor sales in close proximity to schools.     East Magnet and Ross Elementary are directly across the street.   Not sure if this will have an impact, but it's certainly something Fresh Hospitality would have thought of.  

I believe the limit is just 100 ft.  They should be fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris Lee said:

What if anything is happening with the boarded-up, fenced-off M&S Market/gas station on Gallatin Pike between McDonalds and O'Reilly's?

They have been working on it for a while and I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it's just an upgrade/revamp.

10 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

They have been working on it for a while and I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming it's just an upgrade/revamp.

I drive by it twice a day to/from work and I haven't seen evidence of any work being done in the weeks/months since it was boarded up and fenced off. It just looks abandoned.

Porter House Bistro moving to an unknown location due to 40%+ rent increase.  A recurring theme on the Facebooks is that the same person owns all of the corner locations in that intersection and she is to blame (???)  Any one have any insight?

http://nashville.eater.com/2016/5/9/11640566/porter-house-bistro-east-nashville

11 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Porter House Bistro moving to an unknown location due to 40%+ rent increase.  A recurring theme on the Facebooks is that the same person owns all of the corner locations in that intersection and she is to blame (???)  Any one have any insight?

http://nashville.eater.com/2016/5/9/11640566/porter-house-bistro-east-nashville

I got the impression from some random Facebook post recently that they were scouting out a site around The Nations/Charlotte Ave.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

This is 50 yards from my office. Pic is from my office window. They've been digging out the former sports bar parking lot and doing interior work for the past week. Generator or pressure washer has been running constantly during work hours.

Slack for iOS Upload.jpg

2 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Another article from Eater about the bar

http://nashville.eater.com/2016/5/25/11774442/attaboy-cocktails-east-nashville

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:09 PM, MLBrumby said:

Anyone know anything about these buildings?  From the Tennessean, the Masonic buildings are endangered.  

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2016/05/11/officials-hope-save-inglewoods-historic-masonic-buildings/84185288/

635984939357997518-mason-building.jpgThe three-story Home for Aged Masons, built in 1913,

Then-District 8 Council Member Karen Bennett worked on this several years ago, trying to get the State to deed the properties over to a nonprofit or other agency that could invest in these buildings' maintenance.  My understanding is that the State took no action at that time. I am glad to see that Council Member VanReece is taking up this cause.    

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, titanhog said:

You know you're in a hot market when out of town investors start purchasing the land between the river and I-24.  If they start really developing that land all along the river opposite downtown, that will really be a plus considering how that area has always seemed like a distant wasteland.

The East Bank area is a natural progression for downtown development.  The area between the river and I-24 is part of the Downtown Community Plan.  Whereas the downtown, Midtown and Sobro areas feature narrow streets that are increasingly clogged, with few easy solutions even from a biking or transit standpoint, again owing mostly to how narrow the streets are to begin with, the East Bank has pretty unparalleled existing and potential accessibility through several modes of transportation.  Woodland Street is identified as a countywide priority for bike infrastructure, with a particular emphasis on improving the area crossing the I-24 ramps.

Having said all of that, this particular block happens to be one of the few developable blocks in the East Bank Central subdistrict of the Downtown Community Plan.  It has mixed use zoning already in place and an underlying T6 Downtown Neighborhood land use policy, which supports high density residential and mixed use development. 

The blocks to the south and to the west between this one and the river have a Civic land use policy and with the exception of the Juvenile Justice Center are owned/managed by the Metro Sports Authority.  While the Civic land use policy and public-sector ownership mean that there will likely not be development on those blocks any time soon, these surrounding parcels will continue to provide much-needed parking for office users and a rapidly expanding list of special events downtown, and will also continue to generate parking revenue for Metro.

That condition of being surrounded by a Civic policy area could also be a boon for development on this particular block by providing some assurances of unobstructed views.

Other areas on the East Bank have lots of long-term development potential but also varying degrees of accessibility constraints, infrastructure needs, and in some cases flood plain and other environmental considerations.

I look forward to seeing what is ultimately proposed for this block.  I have an alley abandonment ordinance for this block that is set to pass third reading at the June 7th Metro Council meeting http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2015_2019/bl2016_227.htm.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, Jamie Hall said:

The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery down the street closed a few months ago. Now the Piggly Wiggly. Unless I'm missing something, that leaves two Kroger stores as the only grocers for the entire stretch of Gallatin Road in East Nashville. Does this help or hurt the ongoing effort / dream to lure a Publix or Trader Joe's to that area?

Don't forget Aldi.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, rookzie said:

We'll see if Blackwell succeeds this time, with a "palatable" plan.  Sometimes it takes multiple running-starts, but it usually can be an "uphill" challenge to "crack open" a community of old suburban-settled establishment.

The plan at Preston/Carter had a lot of community support.  How many times have you been to a community meeting when the CM (in this case Anthony Davis) asked for a show of hands in support and every hand in the room went up?  That is a thoughtful plan and I am glad to see it move forward.

Elsewhere in the Rosebank community, I am also working with a team that is proposing a similar, but larger, adaptive reuse of the Greater Grace Temple at Dalebrook/Eastland.  We have had two community meetings so far, and I will be interested to see how much community support the final plan receives.  The 901 Dalebrook site has challenging topography, drainage and access constraints in particular.

1 minute ago, bwithers1 said:

The plan at Preston/Carter had a lot of community support.  How many times have you been to a community meeting when the CM (in this case Anthony Davis) asked for a show of hands in support and every hand in the room went up?  That is a thoughtful plan and I am glad to see it move forward.

Elsewhere in the Rosebank community, I am also working with a team that is proposing a similar, but larger, adaptive reuse of the Greater Grace Temple at Dalebrook/Eastland.  We have had two community meetings so far, and I will be interested to see how much community support the final plan receives.  The 901 Dalebrook site has challenging topography, drainage and access constraints in particular.

Mr. Withers, thanks for all of your updates. Are there any updates on "The Fatherland" the adaptive reuse of the old church at 17th & Fatherland, light work had begun but has stalled for quite a while. Was to be a B&B/restaurant/event space from what I recall. Thanks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FatherLand said:

Mr. Withers, thanks for all of your updates. Are there any updates on "The Fatherland" the adaptive reuse of the old church at 17th & Fatherland, light work had begun but has stalled for quite a while. Was to be a B&B/restaurant/event space from what I recall. Thanks. 

Thanks for asking.  I have received no updates on that one since around the time of the community meeting last fall. 

Like many historic church buildings in East Nashville, the 17th/Fatherland property is landlocked, and that lack of parking creates challenges not only for adaptive reuses, but also for maintaining active congregations to support the building in its current use. The historic Tulip Street Methodist church property in particular has parking challenges, for instance. 

The reality is that many East Nashvillians are church attendees; however, most East Nashville church attendees seem to drive to church either somewhere in East Nashville or in other areas (gasp, across the river).  I walk to church at Woodland Pres, but then I am old fashioned that way :) 

• Like 2