Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

9 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/local-news/4-arrested-for-robbing-2-playing-pokemon-go

Hope it was these guys and they aren't out for a while.

The police haven't notified them, so they don't know yet. My son-in-law was with a friend at the time and they were not a 'couple'. It must have been someone else who got robbed in the same area at about the same time that the article was talking about. But we are hoping the people who committed the crime have been arrested and are taken off the streets. I'll let you know when we hear one way or the other.

• Like 3

..S-C trolley track uncovering actually is common in the 'ville.  Perhaps not as common as a broad resurfacing, where they become readily apparent, but nevertheless, utility excavations always uncover the tracks ─ Jefferson St.; Belmont Blvd.,...  In many cases one would see a parallel inbound-outbound pair of tracks.

When I got my driver's license in high-school, there were instances where the tracks remained level with the pavement, such as a sweeping curve of tracks at the intersection of Broad and 8th, downtown.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

"the old tire shop on Gallatin"  Not really narrowing it down, lol.  I kid.

And from the article "where they're paving Gallatin" again, not really narrowing it down, lol.

5 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Wow, the intersection of E Trinity/Gallatin is going to be insane when all that is in progress and planned comes online.  Wish I had the money and the foresight to invest there as a small business owner before all of this.  Good for Hop Stop, Mickey's Nicoletto's.  Hopefully something cool goes in at the old Pepperfire spot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

"the old tire shop on Gallatin"  Not really narrowing it down, lol.  I kid.

And from the article "where they're paving Gallatin" again, not really narrowing it down, lol.

Wow, the intersection of E Trinity/Gallatin is going to be insane when all that is in progress and planned comes online.  Wish I had the money and the foresight to invest there as a small business owner before all of this.  Good for Hop Stop, Mickey's Nicoletto's.  Hopefully something cool goes in at the old Pepperfire spot.

and Littons Corner is cleaned up a bit. Any word on the boarded up gas station?

On 7/20/2016 at 9:15 PM, MLBrumby said:

Am I supposed to know who the Baker twins are?  Beau and Jeff perhaps?  Do they play piano? 

They are the brothers who own the Dog Spots around town and who have bought and rehabbed a lot of retail property along Gallatin.

12 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I don't believe they have released renderings yet, but the site plan is available on their webpage: Eastwood Village

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:13 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

@bwithers1 know of anything else?;)

We will need to work out parking arrangements.  The family that owns Nashville Biscuit House next door also owns the CS-zoned lots on Petway behind this building.  I am told that they are not interested in selling or leasing those lots for shared parking.  Therefore, the likely location for parking to support the proposed office building will be at Alvin's car lot.  A zone change may be required to permit a parking lot on that parcel on Gallatin. 

I am glad to see this traditional retail building potentially rehabbed and saved.  When Eastwood expanded our Conservation Zoning Overlay along Petway in 2013/2014, we considered including this property in the District boundaries because it is a contributing structure.  At the time the decision was to leave this structure out of the Overlay. 

I am optimistic that an arrangement can be reached for a small amount of parking to support this office use.  The retail building property does front Gallatin, which is served by two bus routes (26 and 56); nevertheless, it remains unrealistic to assume that all tenant employees and patrons would rely solely on foot/bike/bus transportation to access this building. 

Edited by bwithers1

News about the Kirkpatrick Park phase of Envision Cayce:

On Thursday, July 14th the Planning Commission approved the Community Plan change from Open Space to T4-Neighborhood Evolving for this property (Summer Place between South 8th/9th).  The base zoning for the property is RM20; however, the underlying Open Space Community Plan policy would have prohibited construction of residences there despite the zoning.  The Parks Board had previously voted at their July 2015 meeting to approve a land swap that would trade the present Kirkpatrick Park open space for the new, larger Central Park open space to be constructed in phases through the implementation of the Envision Cayce plan. 

Some neighbors on South 9th and 10th Streets have raised objections to losing the park space there.  Some neighbors on South 9th Street in particular have also voiced concerns about the construction of two-story townhome buildings along South 9th Street and how that would impact the character of that street.  In fact, the Kirkpatrick Park plan for that block will include structures of up to 3-1/2 stories, and Smith Gee Studio has limited the building height along the South 9th Street frontage to no more than 2 stories in order to transition appropriately into the adjoining neighborhood.  The taller structures will be located toward the interior of the Kirkpatrick Park block in order to keep that height farther away from the houses on 9th and also to take advantage of a lower topographical elevation of the site going towards downtown, while the 9th Street block face will include a small pocket park and buildings limited to two stories in height. 

On the other hand, the lots on South 9th Street to the east of this property are at a higher elevation and, being outside of any kind of Overlay, can have buildings up to three stories in height.  The existing housing along South 9th Street includes some historic single-family homes, a relatively tall contemporary-styled structure, a lot that includes three houses in a Horizontal Property Regime, a single-story quadplex at the north end of the block and a compound of several two-story quadplexes at the corner of South 9th and South 10th. 

Any objective assessment of the existing housing stock on South 9th Street would conclude that it is presently a mixture of ages, styles, sizes and configurations. 

I understand concerns about a change of this magnitude going from having a park across the street to having over 90 housing units there.  Despite the RS zoning on some lots, I do not agree that South 9th Street is presently a single-family-only built environment context that the Kirkpatrick Park plans will disrupt.

At the July 14th Planning Commission hearing, this item was pulled from the Planning Commission hearing Consent Agenda and was heard at around 8:00 PM.  One of the objections raised included the desire to continue playing frisbee on this park.  This was one of the more humorous objections to the Kirkpatrick Park plan that I have received.  Ultimately, the Planning Commissioners approved the policy change from Open Space to T4-Neighborhood Evolving as well as the associated Specific Plan, which I believe has been linked here previously.  The SP will now be placed on an upcoming Metro Council public hearing agenda in the fall.

What's next?

Kimley-Horn and Smith Gee Studio are working on a regulatory SP design guidelines document for the balance of the Envision Cayce plan, including the mixed-use Town Center area along Shelby from 5th-6th and the Core Neighborhood area behind the historic homes on Shelby between 6th and 8th.  A noteworthy recent update is that in addition to the Town Center area, the team is proposing to change the Community Plan to permit mixed uses in the Core Neighborhood area in order to provide for small retail/office/services businesses to occupy ground-floor corners (along 6th, 7th, and 8th) facing the central park.  Kimley-Horn is also working on a transportation plan for the area including bicycle/pedestrian paths and things of that nature. 

For the foreseeable future, Envision Cayce Town Hall meetings will take place on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM at the Martha O'Bryan Center to gather community input about these plans as they are being developed.  Please feel free to attend those meetings.  Watch the MPC and Metro Council agendas for the relevant public hearing dates.  Anyone is also welcome to contact me directly with questions or concerns at my Metro Council email address.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bwithers1 said:

On Thursday, July 14th the Planning Commission approved the Community Plan change from Open Space to T4-Neighborhood Evolving for this property (Summer Place between South 8th/9th).  The base zoning for the property is RM20; however, the underlying Open Space Community Plan policy would have prohibited construction of residences there despite the zoning.  The Parks Board had previously voted at their July 2015 meeting to approve a land swap that would trade the present Kirkpatrick Park open space for the new, larger Central Park open space to be constructed in phases through the implementation of the Envision Cayce plan. 

Some neighbors on South 9th and 10th Streets have raised objections to losing the park space there.  Some neighbors on South 9th Street in particular have also voiced concerns about the construction of two-story townhome buildings along South 9th Street and how that would impact the character of that street.  In fact, the Kirkpatrick Park plan for that block will include structures of up to 3-1/2 stories, and Smith Gee Studio has limited the building height along the South 9th Street frontage to no more than 2 stories in order to transition appropriately into the adjoining neighborhood.  The taller structures will be located toward the interior of the Kirkpatrick Park block in order to keep that height farther away from the houses on 9th and also to take advantage of a lower topographical elevation of the site going towards downtown, while the 9th Street block face will include a small pocket park and buildings limited to two stories in height. 

On the other hand, the lots on South 9th Street to the east of this property are at a higher elevation and, being outside of any kind of Overlay, can have buildings up to three stories in height.  The existing housing along South 9th Street includes some historic single-family homes, a relatively tall contemporary-styled structure, a lot that includes three houses in a Horizontal Property Regime, a single-story quadplex at the north end of the block and a compound of several two-story quadplexes at the corner of South 9th and South 10th. 

Any objective assessment of the existing housing stock on South 9th Street would conclude that it is presently a mixture of ages, styles, sizes and configurations. 

I understand concerns about a change of this magnitude going from having a park across the street to having over 90 housing units there.  Despite the RS zoning on some lots, I do not agree that South 9th Street is presently a single-family-only built environment context that the Kirkpatrick Park plans will disrupt.

At the July 14th Planning Commission hearing, this item was pulled from the Planning Commission hearing Consent Agenda and was heard at around 8:00 PM.  One of the objections raised included the desire to continue playing frisbee on this park.  This was one of the more humorous objections to the Kirkpatrick Park plan that I have received.  Ultimately, the Planning Commissioners approved the policy change from Open Space to T4-Neighborhood Evolving as well as the associated Specific Plan, which I believe has been linked here previously.  The SP will now be placed on an upcoming Metro Council public hearing agenda in the fall.

What's next?

Kimley-Horn and Smith Gee Studio are working on a regulatory SP design guidelines document for the balance of the Envision Cayce plan, including the mixed-use Town Center area along Shelby from 5th-6th and the Core Neighborhood area behind the historic homes on Shelby between 6th and 8th.  A noteworthy recent update is that in addition to the Town Center area, the team is proposing to change the Community Plan to permit mixed uses in the Core Neighborhood area in order to provide for small retail/office/services businesses to occupy ground-floor corners (along 6th, 7th, and 8th) facing the central park.  Kimley-Horn is also working on a transportation plan for the area including bicycle/pedestrian paths and things of that nature. 

For the foreseeable future, Envision Cayce Town Hall meetings will take place on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM at the Martha O'Bryan Center to gather community input about these plans as they are being developed.  Please feel free to attend those meetings.  Watch the MPC and Metro Council agendas for the relevant public hearing dates.  Anyone is also welcome to contact me directly with questions or concerns at my Metro Council email address.

@bwithers1 Thanks so much for this info Mr. Withers. Separate question please sir: can you tell us what's on the docket for the Workshop Meeting Wed 7/27 for STRP regulations? We're specifically concerned with changes to DADU allowances...we broke ground on an Airbnb DADU on Fatherland after happily reading about the ordinance being adjusted to allow for these.

I will be out of town for work or would absolutely plan on attending and discussing. Thank you sir. 

Edited by FatherLand

1 hour ago, FatherLand said:

@bwithers1 Thanks so much for this info Mr. Withers. Separate question please sir: can you tell us what's on the docket for the Workshop Meeting Wed 7/27 for STRP regulations? We're specifically concerned with changes to DADU allowances...we broke ground on an Airbnb DADU on Fatherland after happily reading about the ordinance being adjusted to allow for these.

I will be out of town for work or would absolutely plan on attending and discussing. Thank you sir. 

@FatherLand No changes have been proposed relative to DADUs.  Most feedback from the prior community meeting pertained to enforcement of existing Codes. 

You referenced BL2015-94 that CM Burkley Allen and I passed last winter.  That ordinance specified that only one STRP permit is allowed per residential lot; therefore, someone building a DADU can apply for a STRP permit for use EITHER in the principal dwelling OR in the DADU, but not both.  In response to community feedback that I received, I did work with CM Allen to amend the original ordinance in order to continue allowing Type-I STRP permits in DADUs, which are separate dwelling units from principal structure, rather than classifying those as Type II permits, as was proposed in the original version of that ordinance. 

District 17 CM Colby Sledge has an ordinance proposal that would provide Codes with additional stop-work-order mechanisms for enforcement against Codes violators and would potentially grant the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Environmental Court more flexibility for determining penalties for violators of existing codes.  The Council's Codes, Fair and Farmer's Market Committee voted to defer that ordinance in order to include it in this follow-up community meeting, which CM Burkley Allen and I have been working to schedule for some time. (We got pretty busy with the FY17 Budget hearings as well as the Affordable Housing ordinance deliberations).

Otherwise, the community meeting format will break down the existing Codes language into sections and allow participants to provide comments on each relevant section for Council consideration.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

What's next?

@bwithers1 - thank you for taking the time to reply. What's the timeline for the whole project, and did I see that a grocery store is going to be part of the Town Center? 

2 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Awesome!  I've been watching that spot since the dealership cleared out and could tell that work was being done.  Glad to finally know.  Keep 'em coming up North on Gallatin!

• Like 1

On June 15, 2016 at 11:32 AM, bwithers1 said:

Thomas: 

Thanks for posting these updates. 

The future use of the Cora Howe's former house on Greenwood is uncertain.  The structure has local zoning historic protection through the Eastwood Neighborhood Conservation Zoning Overlay, so there is no demolition threat.  For a time I believe that the building was used as an office or community center for the apartment complex.   Other commercial uses could be considered for that structure by way of a Neighborhood Landmark Overlay application if the property owner wants to work with Cliff and the Eastwood Neighbors group to set up community meetings to explore those options.

The information that you are seeing for 14th/Division (also Village Court to the north) from the Spring 2015 hearings before the Planning Commission and Metro Council is most likely the most up-to-date information presently available for that site.  I am not certain of Mr. Egerton's timeline for development that property.  He owns several pieces of property in East Nashville and often takes a long view toward development. 

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19523910/Davidson-St-Nashville-TN/

The 9.65 acres owned by Mr. Egerton right before the entrance to Shelby Park has been listed for almost 6.5 million since November. From the listing: The proposed development plan is based on a preliminary SP design and is subject to approval of the final SP. 

I found the treehouse units to be interesting. 

• Like 2

^ ^ ^ The boutique hotel will be named Holiday Jones, and will feature 100 rooms at 809, 811, and 813 Main Street.  Retail is being considered for the first floor, and a roof deck of amenities, and about 50,000 sq.ft. for the potential 4-story structure. No renderings available yet (although I have posted the original rendering from lat August below). It will be the first boutique hotel in East Nashville. Map and shot of lots below.

Here is The Tennessean's take on the story:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/08/01/larger-holiday-jones-hotel-planned-east-nashville/87923228/

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 5.54.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 5.56.07 PM.png

Holiday Jones render, Aug. 2015.JPG

• Like 1