Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/01/17/21-room-airbnb-type-hotel-eyed-east-nashville/96678890/

Blah

AirBNB Hotel planned for 941 Main Street (Empty lot next to Koi Sushi)

IMG_0435.JPG

MDHA's Design Review Committee reviewed this proposal on February 7th.  Their recommendations were to add more glazing to the first floor to come closer to 40% (first floor only) and to lower the height of the parapet wall, and then something about stairwells.  That was about it. I did speak with the property owner after the DRC, and he did clarify that he would be converting one of the downstairs units to be a 2-bedroom apartment unit for hotel maintenance staff.  So there is that.  But I am pretty disappointed that the MDHA DRC did not apply more rigorous standards to this proposal. 

It would seem to me that if the AirBnB bachelor/ette party gig doesn't work out long-term, that this building will turn into an apartment building with 4-bedroom units.  That may prove problematic long-term as well, as I am hearing from builders that their 3+ bedroom apartments in the urban core are leasing slowly even in this market. Who knows?  Maybe the future of this building is as affordable family/small group living quarters.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 3

Top Golf progress.

The "front" of the building. The driving range will be to the right (north). There is a drainage pool in the foreground with the CSX tracks just above it before reaching the main level of the superstructure. Looking NW from near intersection of Cowan Street and Jefferson Street/SpringStreet:

Top Golf 1, Feb 12, 2017.JPG

Some parking will be on the "front" side of the building (closest to the camera).  The CSX tracks are running from lower left to mid-upper right. Looking NW from initial incline of Jefferson Street.Spring Street Bridge:

Top Golf 2, Feb 12, 2017.JPG

The driving range is beyond the structure up the incline leading towards the large warehouse in the distance. There is another large drainage pool that is excavated and sodded at the lower left. Looking north from Jefferson Street/Spring Street Bridge:

Top Golf 3, Feb 12, 2017.JPG

• Like 4

On 2/17/2017 at 4:27 PM, bwithers1 said:

If the 1400 Fatherland project moves forward, that corner will similarly have sidewalk installation requirements to bring that corner up to current standards. 

Thanks for the update @bwithers1. Do you have any thoughts on how likely the 1400 Fatherland project is to go anywhere? We're a few blocks down and would love to have more restaurants/shops nearby. Not familiar with the developers, but the LSNA article said they'd given two neighborhood presentations and I wondered what kind of feedback they got?

Metro approves the new Opryland indoor water park with nearly $14 million in tax incentives included. Estimates are that the new addition to the hotel will generate over $4 million a year in tax revenue. part of the deal also includes Opryland donating two parcels of land near the hotel along the river that can be utilized for a new public boat dock and park, as well as connecting further elements of the Cumberland greenway project.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/02/21/council-advances-14m-incentives-opryland-water-park/98191506/

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.30.42 AM.png

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^I'm assuming they are estimating they will receive $4 Mil more in tax revenue from more bookings per year in the hotel because of the added water park...right?  The water park itself will not take in any money...correct?

I would love to know where all these newly generated tax dollars are going,  because I don't see any improvements anywhere besides downtown. I'll be happy when our elected leaders stop focusing on downtown and make improvements elsewhere.  The streets and interstates are littered with trash, the roads are terrible,  homeless people on every corner, it's awful. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, AronG said:

Thanks for the update @bwithers1. Do you have any thoughts on how likely the 1400 Fatherland project is to go anywhere? We're a few blocks down and would love to have more restaurants/shops nearby. Not familiar with the developers, but the LSNA article said they'd given two neighborhood presentations and I wondered what kind of feedback they got?

The neighbor feedback was mixed (some positive, some concerns, some opposed), but there was enough interest that I recommended continuing the conversation with Metro reviewing departments.  I can certainly understand concerns from the neighbors whose houses back up to the project.  That's potentially a lot of traffic in the alleys behind their houses.  This project would require massive infrastructure work to improve the alleys as well as possibly to build the infrastructure to widen that block of Fatherland and add sidewalks.

As for commercial uses, this proposal does not expand the commercial use area beyond what is already allowed on that corner parcel.  So the corner parcel could be used for shops/restaurants today within the existing base zoning entitlements even independent of the residential.  My observation is that retail does not do well on its own, but perhaps a smaller restaurant could go there, I suppose.  We will see.  If there are updates I will of course share them with the Lockeland Springs Neighborhood Association.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

What is the height limit at that site?  Would a hotel work there?  What services would 5 Points need?  

Page 8 of the MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District design guidelines (page 9 in the file) provides the specs for the subdistrict in which this property is located http://www.nashville-mdha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Five_Points.pdf.  It would appear to be the case that the buildings can be two stories/30 feet in height at the Gallatin/Forrest frontage with a potential third story residential floor that is stepped back ten feet from the street frontage.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Metro approves the new Opryland indoor water park with nearly $14 million in tax incentives included. Estimates are that the new addition to the hotel will generate over $4 million a year in tax revenue. part of the deal also includes Opryland donating two parcels of land near the hotel along the river that can be utilized for a new public boat dock and park, as well as connecting further elements of the Cumberland greenway project.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/02/21/council-advances-14m-incentives-opryland-water-park/98191506/

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 11.30.42 AM.png

Wish it was open to the public

2 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

Page 8 of the MDHA Five Points Redevelopment District design guidelines (page 9 in the file) provides the specs for the subdistrict in which this property is located http://www.nashville-mdha.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Five_Points.pdf.  It would appear to be the case that the buildings can be two stories/30 feet in height at the Gallatin/Forrest frontage with a potential third story residential floor that is stepped back ten feet from the street frontage.

Doesn't the overlay expire in a year or two though?

Ron Brice, owner of 3rd & Lindsley Music Club, shares more info about his planned event lodge, venue, studio, and cottage-style single family homes and townhomes for a portion of the 35 acres off Ellington Parkway. Public and private greenways are also planned throughout the property between Hart Lane and Ben Allen Road:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/02/22/event-space-beer-garden-style-lodge-eyed-east-nashville-site/98268092/

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 7.37.37 AM.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think it is a mix all over town. The downtown area seems to get a lot, but it is more noticeable and geographically smaller than other areas of town. People tend to see what they want and skew private development for improvements. The infrastructure has to be improved for these large tax generating projects to happen.

There are a lot of things happening all over Davidson County and everything cant be fixed at once. Remember there are schools, parks, sewer improvements, sidewalks, and many more civic projects happening county wide. There is no way to understand what is happening unless you have your finger on the pulse of everything.

I happen to see a lot on my drives and watching different news stories, such as the new community center that went in somewhere in Antioch. I would not have known about that one unless I had seen it on the news. I follow development tracker and there are sidewalk projects, water lines being replaces, as well as sewers all over town. for example there is a new water storage tank under construction in the Nation's, not to mention what appears to be a large sewer project there as well.

I can go on and on, and folks thing that just because something is not happening inside their own neighborhood, then nothing is happening at all.

I am not trying to be critical here, but there is too much happening for any normal citizen to understand or possibly know. I know you care and its good that you bring these questions to light, so they can get answered and hopefully inform more people.

Don't know if this is the development tracker you mention (if not can you post?), but there's a link to the CIB Viewer on this page...http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Capital-Improvements-Budget.aspx  It shows "currently approved projects" -- not past projects. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Thanks, @Gracie

I like that they are keeping the fond object building, but a historic overlay...really?!

I know! The Fond Object piece is fine, but that addition is not good. I am pretty sure the historic overlay question was raised at least twice. Apparently people are sentimental about that building. I'm all for protecting historic and architecturally significant buildings, but the idea that people want to "protect" that building for generations is crazy to me. I failed to mention -- and found it particularly funny -- that a couple people actually asked if there was any way to build a second story on it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gracie said:

Don't know if this is the development tracker you mention (if not can you post?), but there's a link to the CIB Viewer on this page...http://www.nashville.gov/Planning-Department/Capital-Improvements-Budget.aspx  It shows "currently approved projects" -- not past projects. 

I forgot about that website. It is different from the one I was talking about, but there is still a lot happening as far as capital improvements. When the Metro budget comes out each year, I try to peruse it as best I can.

Thanks for reminding us about that website.

Keep the post coming folks. I am thrilled to see the hard work of the past payoff with all the newer posters on this board. It is so refreshing to see the interest of everyone, as compared to 2008, when we had a handful of posters after the recession hit.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:18 PM, CandyAisles said:

Doesn't the overlay expire in a year or two though?

Great question.  The Five Points Redevelopment District expires in 2020.  Nevertheless, this particular property is located within the Lockeland Springs-East End Neighborhood Conservation Zoning Overlay District, and the Five Points Redevelopment District design guidelines are included in the LS-EE NCZO design guidelines.  In other words, the current design guidelines will remain in place for this particular property even after the redevelopment district expires.

The base zoning is MUG-A, which has no density cap; however, the height guidelines will remain in place.  Given that this property is located between the historic Walnut Exchange Building (where Marche is housed) and the historic East Library branch, a building of no more than 3 total stories would be appropriate in this location.

• Like 3