Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

Nope, Old Hickory was always more of a sequestered, if not disconnected community, even way early-on since the days of the then-new DuPont plant, and that then-new fancy stone-portal, Parker-truss bridge that connects it to Madison.  As Smeags noted, I'd see the comparison applied more to the Nations, and nearby greater Sylvan.district, as well as to Wedgewood-Houston, particularly the latter (We-Ho).

Thing is, the next "East Nashville" would seem to work best with some sort of street grid that actually has relatively liberal access to more contiguous urban districts, far more than what Old Hickory could provide, even though Old History does have an established grid within, and the mixed results of an attempt to create sidewalks on at least one side of some streets.  Plus, the resident base which would support it would seem to be more inclined to prefer proximity to and/or easier access to the core of the city, with the "other East Nashvilles", including but not limited to Edgehill, Melrose, and the "Near-North's" HBV,, Hope Gardens, Elizabeth Park, ...even eventually Fisk-Meharry ─ all these long before Old Hickory.

Indeed, "sleepy" Old Hickory fulfills a niche but not the same "genre" as that of East Nashville.  Yet another reporter just polishing the fingernails and lettin' 'em dry, before next-hour's "breaking news"...:yawn:

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

Everyone wants their own little slice of the pie to be E Nashville. There is only one East Nashville, and when you get right down to it, where in East Nashville are they talking about. Maybe South Inglewood, but I doubt it. More like wanting to be like Lockland Springs or Five Points.

• Like 1

Mayor Megan Barry, state and local officials and community members on Wednesday joined Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency officials for a ribbon cutting and open house of the first residential building of Envision Cayce. The 70 one-bedroom unit, 4-story Barrett Manor — named after the late Nashville attorney and civil rights advocate George Barrett — is the first new addition of public housing in Davidson County in 18 years. It had been refereed to as Summer Place during construction due to it's location at the SE corner of Summer Place and South 5th Street.

The next Envision Cayce phase involves the building of 94 townhome-like apartments at Kirkpatrick Park. MDHA plans to break ground this fall on the project, which will be Envision Cayce’s first mixed-income development.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/events/media-gallery/20865023/envision-cayces-first-ribbon-cutting

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 4.11.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 4.11.30 PM.png

• Like 1

From Nashville Post:

Work on a retail building — expected to one of East Nashville’s only of its type since the city’s post-2000 urban construction boom — is underway on the Gallatin Road ex-Wal-Mart property.

The project will include the adaptive reuse of the ex-Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market building, which will be converted to a SpaceMax self-storage facelift.

Metro has issued two permits related to the project: one is for the rehabbing of the old Wal-Mart building and valued at a bit more than $5 million; the other is for the construction of the shell of the retail building (pictured) and is valued at about $920,000.

The parcel has an address of 1214-16 Gallatin Ave. Austell, Georgia-based Shamrock Building Systems Inc. is the project manager. Charlotte-based Childress Klein owns the property and is serving as the developer.

1214-1216 Gallatin Pike render, June, 2017.png

• Like 2

I'm not sure if anyone has any more information on this, but it looks like the Hill Center Greenwood has been deferred indefinitely (scroll down to the bottom). 

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2015_2019/bl2017_682.htm

I don't know what it means for the development or its timeline, but 'indefinitely' isn't very encouraging. 

4 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I'm not sure if anyone has any more information on this, but it looks like the Hill Center Greenwood has been deferred indefinitely (scroll down to the bottom). 

http://www.nashville.gov/mc/ordinances/term_2015_2019/bl2017_682.htm

I don't know what it means for the development or its timeline, but 'indefinitely' isn't very encouraging. 

I think that if it goes in front of the Council, the council can over ride any decision or deferral the Planning dept. makes. If Planning deferred this , the Hill is taking it in front of the Council for consideration. If it passes the three readings, then what ever planning decides is mute.

Brett may be able to answer more on this particular bill as it is in his district.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

3 story, 16 townhome and retail complex slated to start in August at 1300 Lischey (NW corner of Douglas Ave. and Lischey Ave.) in Cleveland Park.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20865141/august-start-eyed-for-east-side-mixeduse-project

Interesting. When Douglas Market closed down, there was a huge outcry from nearby residents about the loss of a walkable grocery. I understood the concessions made to get this development approved included some sort of meaningful replacement of that market in this new development, which will be pretty tiny based on those renderings...

Anyway, so glad to see this moving forward as I expect it will be a huge boost for the area! My house is just a few blocks from here and I hope this density will help ramp up the momentum for some revitalization on Douglas between Lischey and Meridian.

• Like 1

A music mastering studio will be the tenant for a new 4,500-square-foot building in East Nashville's McFerrin Park neighborhood.

New York-based Sterling Sound, which is home to Grammy Award-winning mastering engineers Ted Jensen and Tom Coyne, has leased the entire building at 805 Merdian St. from Meridian Partners LLC.

The building that's rising on a 0.22-acre site is the first ground-up construction project in that area for the trio of Nashville area real estate developers McClain Towery, Elliott Kyle and Jamie Pfeffer.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/06/19/new-york-music-mastering-studio-expanding-east-nashville/100342832/

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 3.50.31 PM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AronG said:

Referred? Does that mean this is dead for now? Cizar's closed for no reason?

I heard on Facebook (the most reliable information source on the planet) that now Cizar's is staying open until the end of July... Hopefully we can all get in a few more pomegranate salads before they close for good!

• Like 1

From The Nashville Post:

The owner of East Nashville-based co-working services business Center 615 has leased since January half of the expansion space of the complex.

According to a letter from Christian Paro, half of the 34 new office suites are rented. The letter notes the business, located at 615 Main St., has available offices ranging from “100 square feet to several thousand.”

Paro said the goal is to have all the spaces leased by year’s end.

Center 615 offers coffee/tea, conference rooms, parking, utilities and internet. As part of the expansion Paro said he has added a fitness room, a nap room and Revelator Coffee offerings. The team is building out a courtyard space this summer.

Center 615 offers co-working space with flexible leasing terms.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 7.54.41 AM.png

• Like 1

From the Nashville Post:

The development partnership behind boutique hotel Fieldhouse Jones in East Nashville has landed a major permit toward that effort.

Valued at about $6.7 million, the permit will allow for construction of the shell of the building, which will include 93 rooms and a retail space.

The boutique hotel will have an address of 811 Main St. Nashville-based BACAR Constructors is serving as general contractor.

Adam Leibowitz is the point man for the project and is teaming with Chicago-based business partners Robert "Robby" Baum and Mike Downing. Franklin Synergy Bank of Williamson County has provided the construction loan. Chicago-based NORR is the architect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Top Golf update (courtesy of Lyon Media).

Looking south from above I-65 (north inner-loop):

Top Golf 4, Lyon Media, June, 2017.png

The photos only somewhat show how massive those poles look from the interstate. I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind the massive height -- is there really any danger of somebody hitting a golf ball that high?

18 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

The photos only somewhat show how massive those poles look from the interstate. I'd be curious to know the reasoning behind the massive height -- is there really any danger of somebody hitting a golf ball that high?

The length of the range is only about 225 yards so the back is definitely reachable (though not the point obviously). PGA Tour golfers max out at about 90-100 feet in height for most full swings of any club. Add in the height gained by the triple-decker layout and I'd say they aren't unreasonable.

(Honestly I'd be more concerned by the tapering of height immediately adjacent to the tees. I've seen tee shots at McCabe that would clear those and these were people who a) had more experience playing than the average TopGolf attendee and b) were presumably sober.)