Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Chris Lee said:

Yay! Poke, please.

Curious if Pearl Diver is still on track. I haven't noticed work going on at the site.  https://nashville.eater.com/2017/5/24/15685236/pearl-diver-bar-308-treehouse-east-nashville

On 8/25/2017 at 8:05 AM, WebberThomas4 said:

I am thinking they go after chains like Chipoltle, Starbucks, etc.. 

I certainly hope not. The east side is relatively devoid of many chains (other than fast food). I personally like that. The fact that there is not a Starbucks anywhere on the east side is both odd and unique. I know that is probably simply a function of economics, but in my mind I like to think it is a result of the creative class and their love of the mom&pops.

I've seen a few places in my past that had specific city ordinances against box stores and chains. For example, Berkeley, CA, did not have a target or Walmart in the city limits. Target built a store right up against the city line. I've heard that Chicago and New York have similar ordinances. I'm not sure how the legalities of this work, but I'm curious if this could be implemented on a neighborhood scale. 

I'm not trying to push any political agenda here against corporate stores, I just think that's one of the appealing things about the east side. There are tons of unique, privately owned restaurants here, and very few chains (not counting fast food). I think all of those one-off places are a result of the lack of chains. I would hate to see a pendulum shift in that regard, and wonder if something could be done politically to ensure it. 

Thoughts?

• Like 4

I'm not saying that I want those type of places over here. I just believe that's what type of tenant they may be seeking for these spaces. I hope I am way off and Baja Burrito opens their 2nd location there. Wishful thinking, I know. 

Also, not to disrail this conversation anymore, but it would be nice to have another drive thru coffee option besides Sip Cafe and the various fast food chains near Trinity. Sometimes I don't have time to walk to or find parking at the dozens of coffee shops here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I'm not saying that I want those type of places over here. I just believe that's what type of tenant they may be seeking for these spaces. I hope I am way off and Baja Burrito opens their 2nd location there. Wishful thinking, I know. 

Also, not to disrail this conversation anymore, but it would be nice to have another drive thru coffee option besides Sip Cafe and the various fast food chains near Trinity. Sometimes I don't have time to walk to or find parking at the dozens of coffee shops here.

There used to be another coffee shop called Onyx that had a drive thru but it opened up very close to the same time that Sip opened their new location and it just couldn't keep up and have since closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

A couple of East Nashville sites that I am unsure as to what they will become.

Looking NW from intersection of Gallatin and Fairwin:

Gallatin and Fairwin, Aug 20, 2017.jpg

Looking south along Gallatin 1/2 block south of Chester Ave. intersection at around 1411 address:

1525 Gallatin Ave, Aug 20, 2017.jpg

4 new townhomes are being built on the site in your first picture.

Young's Fashion is building their new store at 1411 Gallatin Avenue. Their current storefront will be demolished to make way for the new Hill Center between Sharpe and Greenwood. 

• Like 2

Former Inglewood Piggly Wiggly site sold for $1.5 million.  California buyers plan coffee shop, juice bar, and yoga studio.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/09/06/former-inglewood-piggly-wiggly-site-sold-1-55-million/638595001/

Madison Library renovation, this is text from Councilwoman Nancy VanReee's Sept '17 newsletter:

Madison Library Renovation Interior Plan

"We will close the branch at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 30. Most staff will remain in the branch for two weeks after closing to handle materials and prepare for packing the collection and office materials for movers to take offsite for storage. Staff will be reassigned to other NPL locations on October 16. We expect demolition to begin about November 1.
This is going to be an exciting, transformative project."
Larry Price, Assistant Director for Branch Services
(Click on image to see PDF of Plan)
Highlights: Multipurpose Room moved to the front of the building, Children's area moved to the right and a cafe space added as well as adult seating and more access to the outdoor patio.
Shout out to former Councilwoman Bennett for securing the funding for this project nearly 3 years ago. I am very proud to move this forward into a completed project and am pleased with the community feedback on crafting this design.
Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 2