Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

From today's Nashville Post:

After indicating in April they had reached a settlement resolving their dispute, the lessor and lessee of a sought-after riverfront property are again heading toward trial, now scheduled for March of next year.

Lessee PSC Metals, a Carl Icahn subsidiary, had sued landowner Shelby Land Company because the two could not agree on an appraisal on which to base a new lease rate for the 19.5-acre parcel from which the metal recycling company operates part of its scrapyard business.

In April, the two parties said in a joint filing that they “fully expect and anticipate that the agreement in principle will be consummated and that this action will be dismissed.” The court set a Sept. 7 deadline, but at a status conference last week the court set a March 2018 trial date, according to filings. There’s also a new deadline for the conclusion of settlement talks: Dec. 7.

Attorneys for both groups could not be reached for comment.

Mayor Megan Barry is one of several city leaders to call for moving the scrapyard, located near downtown and Nissan Stadium.

PSC Metals and its predecessors have conducted scrap metal recycling on the property along the Cumberland River since 1979 under a lease with Shelby Land Company and its predecessors.

U.S. District Judge Aleta Trauger in February ruled in favor of the landowners on a preliminary motion, saying that the appraisal from which the new lease rate would be calculated could consider the possibility of rezoning the property for mixed uses. PSC Metals had argued the appraisal should calculate the value of the property based on its current industrial zoning.

psc_metals_ERIC_ENGLAND.59b5ce73cadfc.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know if this is actually important this is to the viability of PSC? I saw at one point that they were provisionally paying the higher lease rate while this works its way through the process. Does that mean they're still profitable even if this goes against them, i.e. we're stuck with them forever?

Tailgate Brewery opening a location in EN in the under renovation tire shop next to Nashville Biscuit House.  [Article behind paywall]

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20975726/tailgate-brewery-plans-east-nashville-outpost

How do these guys have so much money?  This will be their, what, third location?  Not even Yazoo has done that and you'd think they would have the most money out of all the Nashville breweries.  This is on top of Tailgate moving here from San Diego a few years ago.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Tailgate Brewery opening a location in EN in the under renovation tire shop next to Nashville Biscuit House.  [Article behind paywall]

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/food-business/article/20975726/tailgate-brewery-plans-east-nashville-outpost

How do these guys have so much money?  This will be their, what, third location?  Not even Yazoo has done that and you'd think they would have the most money out of all the Nashville breweries.  This is on top of Tailgate moving here from San Diego a few years ago.

They have to be getting some serious outside funding. Their beer isn't even very good. I haven't done the research, but it reeks of a brewery built to be sold to a big brewery corp (a la ABInBev), sort of like Golden Road.

I mean, they straight up left SD, one of the best, most vibrant craft beer scenes in the world, for weird reasons, not the least of which was they couldn't/didn't want to compete in quality.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

They have to be getting some serious outside funding. Their beer isn't even very good. I haven't done the research, but it reeks of a brewery built to be sold to a big brewery corp (a la ABInBev), sort of like Golden Road.

I mean, they straight up left SD, one of the best, most vibrant craft beer scenes in the world, for weird reasons, not the least of which was they couldn't/didn't want to compete in quality.

Yep, agree with you on that.  I actually gave them another chance and bought a tallboy of their Nashville Lager at the Four Way Market today and it wasn't bad but I still have my reservations about them.

Do you have a source on their outside funding?  Not trying to discredit you, generally curious.

5 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Yep, agree with you on that.  I actually gave them another chance and bought a tallboy of their Nashville Lager at the Four Way Market today and it wasn't bad but I still have my reservations about them.

Do you have a source on their outside funding?  Not trying to discredit you, generally curious.

I don't, just a general familiarity with the craft beer industry through a large network of friends that work in it. I need to look into it and ask around though. But everything from the fact that they started out apparently canning on their own line (a huge initial investment), to their widescale production of beers apparently intended to compete with the Miller-Coors-Bud crowd, to their heavy reliance on marketing and volume-over-quality, is following an established pattern. Because of this, and the stigma that goes along with it (right, wrong, or otherwise) it serves to reason they'd rather do business in an area with a less craft-savvy clientele than SD. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 10:10 AM, AronG said:

Man I wish they would redevelop that thing. If they brought it up to the curb they could fit about 5 3-crow-size storefronts in there. And there would be more of the good part of 5 points (restaurants, shops, pedestrian vibe) and less of the lame part (set back buildings catering to car traffic).

I couldn't agree more - redeveloping that block would make a HUGE difference. Will be interesting to see what goes in there. 

I haven't see this posted here yet:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/18/documents-metro-psc-in-talks-to-move-downtown.htm

The administration of Mayor Megan Barry and executives from PSC Metals Inc. are negotiating a deal that would remove the company's sprawling scrapyard from its longtime home on the riverfront across from downtown Nashville — creating the chance for highly anticipated and long-awaited redevelopment.

Documents obtained through a Nashville Business Journal records request publicly confirm the ongoing talks, code-named "Project Phoenix," and indicate that it might cost PSC anywhere from $65 million to nearly $100 million to make the move, depending where the company winds up. The records show city officials lobbying the state to sweeten the pot for PSC to relocate — and also attest to the city's longtime efforts to persuade PSC, which is owned by billionaire magnate Carl Icahn, to move from that decades-old waterfront base.

Yay?

• Like 3

The 3.3-acre East Nashville site home to Fatherland Flats — a multiple-building apartment complex that overlooks downtown — is now for sale for $8.495 million.

Chris McCarty acquired the property (the buildings offer a collective 47 units) in 2012 for $1.225 million, according to Metro records.

Chad Grout, Urban Grout principal broker, said a key appeal of the site is its location and the opportunity for a buyer to eventually undertake a project with greater density than currently is the case. Zoned mixed-use, the site can accommodate 350-plus multifamily units, among other uses.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20977479/east-nashville-property-listed-for-85m

Fatherland Flats site 1, Sept 2017.png

Fatherland Flats site 2, Sept 2017.png

Fatherland Flats site 3, Sept 2017.png

• Like 1

The tear downs continue in North Inglewood.  One on Malquin and another on Matthews.  They also tore down an awful house on a corner lot at Virginia/Matthews that it looks like they are going to put multiple tall skinnys on.  I looked at the property records and the site was already two separate parcels owned by the same person so not sure how many they're going to put there.

I don't know whose idea it was but for some reason they shut down the James Robertson exit off of Ellington on Saturday when they were still allowing people to drive South down Main and under 24 to James Robertson bridge.  Didn't make any sense.

Microbrewery and pizza place, plus a Hampton Inn scheduled to build near Skyline Hospital

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/04/microbrewery-and-pizza-pub-126-room-hotel-rise-near-skyline-hospital/731286001/

Edited by grilled_cheese

7 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

AKA: beer, pizza, and a place to crash!! And a hospital (just in case)!

Fieldhouse Jones Hotel (4 stories, 100 rooms, restaurant) update. the one level of underground parking is nearly complete, with first floor going in above.

Looking west from intersection of Main St. and Neill Ave:

Fieldhouse Jones, Oct 7, 2017 1.jpg

Looking north from intersection of Main St. and Neill Ave:

Fieldhouse Jones, Oct 7, 2017 2.jpg

Looking south along Neill Ave:

Fieldhouse Jones, Oct 7, 2017 3.jpg

Looking west from Neill Ave:

Fieldhouse Jones, Oct 7, 2017 4.jpg

• Like 1