Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

That is not very attractive.....at least the corner view.....missed opportunity.

Glad to have something there instead of empty land, but I agree this could have been so much more. I would've settled for ugly if they just could have activated the street. I vaguely recall that their original design had slightly more units and a retail spot at the corner, but it didn't make it past the NIMBYs. Every time I walk past there and see the like 4 foot gap that they had to put between the units to pretend like they're single family homes it sets my teeth on edge. Why oh why is the default zoning along 10th and 11th still R6 & R8? That corridor is crying out for more density to allow more people to live near 5 points and it would only make the neighborhood better.

• Like 3

New plans brewing for Madison Square Shopping Center and the area in general:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/30/can-madison-become-nashvilles-next-green-hills/903789001/

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 12.27.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 12.28.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 12.28.23 PM.png

Also....

MDHA has released an image related to phase three of its Envision Cayce project, just as a groundbreaking for phase two looms.

The final design was presented at recent Envision Cayce community meeting, winning a contest that drew more than 300 voters. The project, which will be built along South Sixth Street, will consist of three buildings with a collective 96 mixed-income residential units. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20984284/mdha-releases-image-for-phase-three-of-envision-cayce

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 12.32.01 PM.png

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

These guys crack me up wanting Madison to be the next Green Hills. Egos get really big on your own project. 

IT aint gonna happen . not saying the development, but Madison being the next GH.  

Having just bought a home in Madison a few months ago I hope you’re wrong! ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Tennessee's first Shoney's restaurant razed in Madison to make room for more development on the Madison Square Shopping Center:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/30/tennessees-first-shoneys-razed-new-grocery-and-furniture-stores-coming-madison/909766001/

May the rest soon follow.

5 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Having just bought a home in Madison a few months ago I hope you’re wrong! ;) 

The reaso I say this is because GH never lost anything to blight the way this area did. There are no areas around GHs that are considered sub sta dard. 

Madison has been nothing but blight, not really  bad mind you , but things have been going down hill for a long time and one 30 acre development will not bring it back anytime soon. They refrence Germantown in the story, but it is so close to downtown and is a much more finite community. Madison is huge and has lots of issues. Many of the folks that cant afford housing have been pushed into this area and are getting pushed out again.

Look at the stores in the area and you will understand. Used car lots, at least one adult bookstore,  tobacco shops, gas stations, etc. Going to take a very long time, because it tooka very long time to get where it is now. I think it will stabilize but as a resident you may want to get ahead of the game as far as zoning goes. Developers will come in and build tall skinnys eveywhere. Personally I hate those ugly houses.

• Like 1

^Ha, I could hit a golf ball from my house and hit that community center. I’m super happy that we chose Madison. It’s one of the few unpretentious parts of the city that is still relatively convenient to downtown, East Nashville, Hermitage, etc. Great value for what you can get, too. 

2 hours ago, fishsticks176 said:

Madison is definitely in the early stages of redevelopment. It still has a few years to go, though, I think, before it really gets on the radar. I've lived in Madison for just over five years and it was stagnate up until about eighteen months ago. The residents have finally started to change. My neighborhood is now almost half millennials who've been priced out of East Nash. There have been twenty eight new builds and/or total rehabs just within a two-block radius of my house (and a 100+ subdivision almost completed four blocks away)...I'm thinking that we'll see a boom in the next few years.

I took a walk around the block the other day and snapped some pictures of the new builds. Thankfully we've avoided tall-skinnies for the most part. 

Madison is in the very early stages of redevelopment, yes. And millennials being priced out of East Nashville is a bad sign, not a good sign. These new construction photos tho..... new Green Hills? Not yet.... Not even close.

12 hours ago, markhollin said:

New plans brewing for Madison Square Shopping Center and the area in general:

The Tennessean has a knack for overblowing things. 

Welcome to the forum, fishsticks176!  Please keep us in the loop of new developments in/around Madison.  You're also more than welcome to join us for our monthly Meet-Ups.  Our next is tomorrow (Sat. Dec. 2), from 10 AM to noon at Luna Llena Taqueria (300 James Robertson Parkway downtown, at the NW corner of JRP and 3rd Ave. North).  We're a real friendly bunch and always have lively discussion about all the developmental goings-on around Nashville.  

Frank May paid $2.25 million for a 1.9-acre site at 1212 Gallatin Pike S. that's home to an AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care repair shop and Whatever It Takes Transmission Parts. In a separate transaction, he paid $1.9 million for Coarsey Center, a 36,960-square-foot strip shopping center on 1.7 acres at 903 Gallatin Pike.

Frank May paid $2.25 million for a 1.9-acre site at 1212 Gallatin Pike S. that's home to an AAMCO Transmissions & Total Car Care repair shop and Whatever It Takes Transmission Parts. In a separate transaction, he paid $1.9 million for Coarsey Center, a 36,960-square-foot strip shopping center on 1.7 acres at 903 Gallatin Pike.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/30/investor-frank-may-doubles-down-madison-real-estate-shopping-center-purchase/911145001/

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 6.28.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 6.28.59 AM.png

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Welcome to the forum, fishsticks176!  Please keep us in the loop of new developments in/around Madison.  You're also more than welcome to join us for our monthly Meet-Ups.  Our next is tomorrow (Sat. Dec. 2), from 10 AM to noon at Luna Llena Taqueria (300 James Robertson Parkway downtown, at the NW corner of JRP and 3rd Ave. North).  We're a real friendly bunch and always have lively discussion about all the developmental goings-on around Nashville.  

Thanks, Mark! I've been a long-time lurker but have always gotten an error message when trying to create an account. I don't know what changed yesterday, but the site finally let me make one. I'm excited to be part of the conversation!

• Like 4

On 12/1/2017 at 12:58 AM, NashvilleObserver said:

Madison is in the very early stages of redevelopment, yes. And millennials being priced out of East Nashville is a bad sign, not a good sign. These new construction photos tho..... new Green Hills? Not yet.... Not even close.

The Tennessean has a knack for overblowing things. 

The tennessean's job is to make news.   But they are right that there is more recent developer interest in the madison area.   With the rapid growth and success of east nashville it is only natural for madison to change like the rest of the city.  It will take time but the potential is great especially if they complete rapid transit  there first and extended.  Much of the existing negative type of development is not offensive to me and can easily be bought out and moved.  If developers pay existing car lot owners new higher market rates for the car lots......alot can happen.  Large parcels at reasonable prices creats alot of market options.  Nashville will continue to grow and madison has some of the most reasonable priced homes and commercial real estate in all of nashville.   the negative issues pointed out in madison are not so bad.  Madison prices, proximity,  road access and potential transit make it one of the best future areas of fast growth.  Madisons large area is not a negative.  I hope it is not like green hills

• Like 3

I think Madison is positioned to grow.  But the next GH's?  What part of GH's is the developer comparing?  Because I don't see Madison ever becoming half, well off fully comparable to GH's.  If for no other reason you have Rivergate just 3.5 miles away.  Could the town center concept work in Madison?  Probably.  I just don't see it being on the scale of a town center that would match the offerings and or size of GH's.  They could do a town center on the scale of 5th & Broad.  Which is a concept you see popping up around the country in the suburbs to create a small scale urban feel and to attract young people and families that want an urban environment but don't want to be in the core of an urban city.  Northern Virginia and the Maryland suburbs have become experts at this.  Not all of them have high rises.  They create shopping environments that are walk-able, with the great majority of the parking lots on the perimeter of the developments instead of in front of the stores.  Most will have a single row of parking directly in front of the stores.