Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We need blocks and blocks of this type of construction. I do not understand why some of the neighbors were opposed to this.

Masonry Building

Up to the street

3 to 4 stories

Historic reproduction in nature.

I 100% agree! Its a brand new building, yet it looks like the others in the area, so maintains the feeling of the neighborhood. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

We need blocks and blocks of this type of construction. I do not understand why some of the neighbors were opposed to this.

Masonry Building

Up to the street

3 to 4 stories

I couldnt agree more.   THIS is the stuff that quality urban environments are made of.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Masonry Building

Up to the street

3 to 4 stories

I think some were opposed because they felt it was a story too high; others were opposed because of the short-term rental component. Others just oppose any development. I like it now that they are painting the unfortunately underwhelming brick.

Ground has broken on Elmington Capital's  210-unit apartment complex at 1205 Robinson Road in Old Hickory. The development will provide affordable housing to seniors 62+. They're preserving the large brick home on the property and building units both in front of and behind it. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/04/20/480-affordable-apartments-planned-east-nashville-old-hickory/100665444/

• Like 3

A Madison site is being eyed for 30 single-family cottage homes, the latest sign the Nashville suburb continues to see development activity. An unidentified developer wants to undertake the project on 3.36 acres at 1207 Pierce Road and will go before the Metro Planning Commission on Thursday, Feb. 22, to seek a rezoning to accommodate the homes. The entity has enlisted Nashville-based Dale and Associates to handle lands planning and engineering efforts.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20989084/notes-madison-site-eyed-for-cottage-home-project

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 1.45.44 PM.png

• Like 2

I pass that property on my walks all the time and I've always thought it would be great for a development like this! Although they on't show up on that map, the property is flanked by two other large-scale developments of single family homes with a total of about 150 new residences. I like the direction that this neighborhood is going. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Space Max Self Storage (former Wal*Mart) update. Exterior nearly complete.

Looking SW from near entrance drive at Gallatin Rd. and McKennie Ave:

Space Max Storage, Jan 12, 2018.jpg

Retail Center. All brick work finished.  

Looking SE from near entrance drive at Gallatin Rd. and McKennie Ave:

Gallatin Retail, Jan 12, 2018.jpg

Does anyone have any intel at all about tenants coming to this development? 

On 1/27/2018 at 11:00 AM, grilled_cheese said:

I just don't understand how a storage unit facility can be profitable or the most profitable in that location.  Do people really have that much crap?  Wouldn't $yourjunk rent be higher there than in cheaper areas?

You might wonder that, and at least part of the answer is: when walmart sold that property they put restrictions into the deed on how it can be used, applicable for 25 years. They stipulate that the property can't be used for: "a grocery store or supermarket", "a discount department store or other discount store", or a pharmacy, among other things.

I had no idea this was even a thing you could do, but apparently it is! And it's such a win-win:

• Walmart (although they  got a little less cash for the property) successfully blocked competitors from providing local neighborhood-scale grocery/retail at that one particular location until 2041.
  • SpaceMax got a sweet deal on the property and is able to provide a multi-acre self-storage facility on real estate so prime that it makes no sense at all.
  • And we, the residents of the neighborhood got the ability to drive slightly less far to store our mountains of extra crap that won't fit in our mcmansions!(?)

They did add the retail strip in the front though, so that's something.

• Like 3