Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

You see wasted space. I see a mid-century residential neighborhood with modest size homes with reasonable yards and mature trees. I see a neighborhood that might be very attractive to a young family that would like a little elbow room without moving far from the urban core. I see a neighborhood where you have the option to commute to downtown on the region’s ONLY commuter rail. I see a neighborhood with access to great parks, greenways and lakes. The area offers easy access to the airport and a growing list of restaurants, among them the best Irish pub/restaurant in the state. If I didn’t already live in Donelson, I guess I’d be shopping for a new home right now!:tw_glasses:

It's so hip I'm having trouble comprehending it.  Literally shaking rn, brah.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:17 PM, markhollin said:

The company iFly, headquartered in Austin, is negotiating a lease for a property on the Cumberland River's east bank, at one end of the Jefferson Street bridge. The 0.9-acre site, currently home to an auto repair company, sits at the NE corner of the Jefferson St./Cowan St. interchange. TopGolf located directly west across Cowan St.

Metro Councilman Scott Davis, who confirmed the proposed deal, touted iFly as the latest example of businesses looking to invest on the other side of the river, opposite downtown and Germantown. "It's fun and entertaining. It's family-friendly fun, and it will capture tourism dollars," Davis said. "There are other attractions to come."

The typical iFly building is 60 feet tall, with two tunnels producing winds as strong as 120 mph, in which customers can have a skydiving experience. At select locations, customers can skydive while wearing a virtual-reality headset, making them feel as if they're soaring above any number of "bucket-list destinations."

Davis said he hopes the facility can be open in spring or summer of 2019. The site in question is owned by Nashville businessman and real estate investor Donald Day, who referred questions to Davis. Last year, Metro Council approved a zoning change for the site to allow for mixed-use development.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/06/13/exclusive-next-year-you-could-go-skydiving-near.html?ana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

iFly Nashville, June 13, 2018, map.png

IFly Nashville, June 13, 2018, render 1.png

IFly Nashville, June 13, 2018, render 2.png

IFly Nashville, June 13, 2018, render 3.png

Meh. We're turning into Pigeon Forge.

• Like 2

Skydiving and golfing belong in Music Valley.

With thousands of more people moving into and next to Downtown Nashville there is a need for additional green space and the East Bank is the place for it.

Manhattan has Central Park why can't Nashville have East Bank Park?

Edited by bnacincy
information

15 hours ago, markhollin said:

The retail center at Gallatin Ave. and McKennie Ave. is now complete and ready for merchants to move in.

Looking north from Gallatin Avenue, just north of intersection with Greenwood Ave:

Gallatin Retail Center, May 12, 2018.jpg

Is it ready for tenants to move in?  It looks like that entire structure is one big open room, nothing is split up.....unless that's what they're going for, shared retail space.

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Eastland (4 stories, 53 units) update.  Complete and already inhabited. I think the clock on the south wall is a nice touch.

Looking east along West Eastland Ave. at intersection with Bailey St.

The Eastland Apts, June 10, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking NE from intersection of West Eastland and Bailey St:

The Eastland Apts, June 10, 2018, 2.jpg

I agree that the clock is a nice touch. I selfishly wish they had exchanged locations of the clock with the signage.  The clock’s location makes it difficult to notice or read from the street or sidewalk. The signage however can be clearly seen from 2-3 blocks away coming up W. Eastland. I get it, advertising and all that, but as a daily traveler in the neighborhood the clock would be much more useful than a daily reminder of the buildings name. As it is now, the clock really only serves a few windows in the apartments across the street. It probably won’t ever be calibrated anyways. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I’m a huge fan of large clocks being incorporated into large, visible structures. I don’t exactly know why, but I just find it a good and classy accoutrement. Clocks are just cool, and they’re obviously useful. 

I like the clock too, but I've seen too many of these clocks break and never be fixed. Then they're just sad.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

Donelson councilman Jeff Syracuse Facebook post announces the move of a longtime Music Row business to Donelson:

“Williams Fine Violins & Luthier Studios making the move from Music Row to Donelson!  Construction of their expansion has begun at 204 Donelson Pike.”

The Williams Facebook page indicates that the new location will provide more room for showroom, workroom, six lesson rooms and a concert space. (Presumably a very small concert space considering the small footprint of the expansion of the building in the attached photo.) They expect to move around Thanksgiving. (Photo from their Facebook page)

2BF99DE9-769F-470E-9393-8C44A5163249.jpeg

http://www.williamsfineviolins.com/

Edited by donNdonelson2
Add website link
  • Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:30 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I will say work is moving at a snails pace at the Hunters project. I drive by and only ever see a small handful of workers.

The same is true of the Fieldhouse Jones hotel project on Main Street.  I know that the contractor changed, but I wish that progress were more visible.

Edited by bwithers1

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

The same is true of the Fieldhouse Jones hotel project on Main Street.  I know that the contractor changed, but I wish that progress were more visible.

They changed GC's in mid stream too. McHugh is big time and will get the job done. Same thing happened with the Moxy on Third. Changed GC and now its moving along after three years.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:47 AM, markhollin said:

Bridal Suites BnB (3 stories, 29 units) update. Up to 2nd floor.

Looking NE from Main St., 1/2 block east of McFerrin Ave:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 8.46.07 AM.png

I'm kind of super-excited to see this thing in operation. 29 units, each one with 4 bedrooms/2 bath, explicitly marketed for bachelorette parties. When it was first announced I was horrified, but since then the sheer spectacle of it has grown on me. It's built by a local family who used to put their money into liquor stores, mediocre restaurants, etc. And it just seems emblematic of Nashville in 2018 that a safer way to make money is to throw up a cheapo airbnb flophouse. Personally, after being frustrated for years by the ridiculous phobia in the neighborhood around any type of residential density, I've come around to thinking this may be the best way to actually dump a significant amount of pedestrian traffic into main st/5 points.

But just imagine this building at midnight on a Saturday night in the summer. Ubers rolling in and out, disgorging drunk white girls or whisking them away. Hundreds of them in a confined area, blaring pop country, phallic paraphernalia waving. It's going to be absolutely majestic.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AronG said:

But just imagine this building at midnight on a Saturday night in the summer.

For some reason I'm reminded of the urban legend that sorority houses were once prohibited on UT's campus because, per language in the state code, they would be classified as brothels.

1 hour ago, AronG said:

I'm kind of super-excited to see this thing in operation. 29 units, each one with 4 bedrooms/2 bath, explicitly marketed for bachelorette parties. When it was first announced I was horrified, but since then the sheer spectacle of it has grown on me. It's built by a local family who used to put their money into liquor stores, mediocre restaurants, etc. And it just seems emblematic of Nashville in 2018 that a safer way to make money is to throw up a cheapo airbnb flophouse. Personally, after being frustrated for years by the ridiculous phobia in the neighborhood around any type of residential density, I've come around to thinking this may be the best way to actually dump a significant amount of pedestrian traffic into main st/5 points.

But just imagine this building at midnight on a Saturday night in the summer. Ubers rolling in and out, disgorging drunk white girls or whisking them away. Hundreds of them in a confined area, blaring pop country, phallic paraphernalia waving. It's going to be absolutely majestic.

My office is across the street from this thing. Majestic is not the first word that comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1