Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

A two story, 20,000 sq. ft. warehouse at 11 Willow St. in the factory district along Hermitage Ave. railroad yards (just 1/2 mile from downtown's SE side) is listed for sale for $2.85 million.  Built in 1940, the building offers a distinctive bow-truss roof design.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21012024/downtownarea-warehouse-listed-for-sale-for-285m

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 2.47.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 2.48.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 2.47.17 PM.png

Madison Bowl is dead for now. The investors bailed at the last minute and the property is back to square one. The good news is that Frank May seems to be committed to turning the space into a unique neighborhood development and is most likely trying to stick to the something along the lines of the original plans for a restaurant/venue/bowling concept.

Edited by fishsticks176
  • Like 1

As rumored earlier, the Madison Bowl re-imagining into a restaurant/bar/club with some bowling lanes retained has been officially nixed.  Things are now back to square one by owner Frank May to find the right tenant---hopefully with some similar plans.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/10/gutter-ball-plans-to-revive-bowling-alley-fall.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=newsletter&ed=2018-07-10&u=blTR7Dj233GiBQ74JyYK0Q09b4ecfd&t=1531227525&j=82604651

As a native to Hermitage I hop in here hoping to see some development news for that area but it never happens. I feel like Hermitage is the one area that has seen almost zero development from the Nashville boom. Which is kinda weird. It is convenient to the airport, has the Music City Star station, easy to access almost all areas of town due to proximity to I40 and OHB leading north, commute is probably one of the best vs Smryna/Brentwood/Gallatin, etc.

I am not in that area much anymore, but any thoughts on why it has been ignored? 

A few more details on the Mark Deutschmann plan for 190 unit residential development at East Trinity Lane and Edwin.   It will be made up of prefab condo units like the ones he just finished on Alloy at Tech Hill.

Core Development will order condo units made of steel by a new supplier in Birmingham, Ala. That proximity should reduce shipping costs: Birmingham is about 250 miles from the job site, as opposed to the 630 to 740 miles that the units for the Alloy on Tech Hill project traveled from Pennsylvania. Steel is higher-quality than wood, and because it is stronger, Core Development can stack units higher than the Alloy on Tech Hill project.

The project is still in the design phase. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/11/mark-deutschmann-thinks-prefab-is-pretty-fab-for.html?s=print

The location is the teal block in the center of this screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent Development Map on the south side of East Trinity Lane, just west of Elmington Parkway:

Trinity & Edwin Core, July 11, 2018, map.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigeasy said:

As a native to Hermitage I hop in here hoping to see some development news for that area but it never happens. I feel like Hermitage is the one area that has seen almost zero development from the Nashville boom. Which is kinda weird. It is convenient to the airport, has the Music City Star station, easy to access almost all areas of town due to proximity to I40 and OHB leading north, commute is probably one of the best vs Smryna/Brentwood/Gallatin, etc.

I am not in that area much anymore, but any thoughts on why it has been ignored? 

It is kind of a mystery, but I don’t want too much to change in that area (or Donelson or Old Hickory) because they are some of the last parts of town that are simultaneously pleasant and cheap. If I had to guess about why there’s not more development in hermitage, I guess I would say that there are a lot of subdivisions where individual landowners would have to play ball for decent tracks of land to be purchased, and the commercial properties all seem to be profitable and owned by retail and restaurant chains so there’s less incentive to sell. But that’s just my guess. 

• Like 1

Big update about the Meridian church project in the Nashville Business Journal today. It will be a co-working space called Bond Collective coming from New York and plans to open in 2020.

"Aside from co-working space, Silber said the group plans to feature a food-and-beverage operation, perhaps a food hall or speakeasy, as well as other small retail space."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/11/pulpit-to-podcasting-new-york-co-working-hub.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-07-11&u=q0z4A0LMKqT0sM1lkuwgwA0bfbfcd0&t=1531340573&j=82643511

Full Text

He slept at the trendy Urban Cowboy bed-and-breakfast. He ate at Butcher & Bee and hit Motown Monday at The 5 Spot. And when his visit was through, Shlomo Silber felt confident that his quickly expanding New York co-working company would succeed in East Nashville.

Silber is co-founder and CEO of Bond Collective, which plans to occupy most of a 36,000-square-foot church complex at 901 Meridian St. A pair of New York City real estate investors, whom Silber said are his development partners in the deal, just paid $4.5 million for the property. Aside from co-working space, Silber said the group plans to feature a food-and-beverage operation, perhaps a food hall or speakeasy, as well as other small retail space.

"When we found the church space, it really spoke to our brand from a design perspective and what we can do in that community," Silber said in an exclusive interview.

Bond Collective, which expects to open in early 2020, escalates the influx of competing co-working and shared-office brands streaming into Nashville to seize on its economic growth. Bond Collective is now the eighth co-working company to announce or open a space since the start of 2017 — a footprint totaling 330,000 square feet of office space from downtown to Cool Springs. The global giant WeWork Cos. Inc. has a hub in East Nashville, two miles from the church on Meridian Street. Everyone from startups to multinational companies are paying the premium for this kind of flexible, short-term space that's loaded with amenities, instead of signing more traditional long-term leases for office space.

Bond Collective is riding that trend. Reuters reported late last year that Bond Collective had raised $50 million for a nationwide expansion. Beyond its home of New York City, Bond Collective is opening locations in Philadelphia; Washington, D.C.; Denver; Austin; Dallas; Houston; Minneapolis; and Chicago, Silber said.

"A smaller business can come into our space and have all the resources of a bigger business," Silber said. He said part of what makes Bond Collective distinct is its focus on "hospitality and high-end design." The company typically leaves part of each space unfinished and surveys members about what they want to see. "A room we thought would just have couches or a foosball table might end up being a podcasting studio," Silber said.

The East Nashville location could have a podcasting studio, as well as production and recording capabilities to appeal to potential music-industry users, Silber said. He expects to attract tech companies and the creative class as well.

Silber said he "heard all the buzz" about Nashville and decided to make a trip once he assessed the region's demographics and economic stats. He called on Lyon Porter, the New Yorker who created Urban Cowboy, to be his tour guide.

I asked Silber to describe the vibe he felt while hanging out in East Nashville. "Homey, yet cool," he replied. "I'm from Brooklyn, and a lot of people are too cool for you there. Everyone [in East Nashville] was friendly and open and really wants to be part of their community. The more we talked to them, the more we saw they're looking for this kind of real infrastructure in East Nashville."

Bond Collective is the latest addition to Meridian Street, which connects the McFerrin Park and Cleveland Park neighborhoods. The co-working operation is the latest in a string of commercial activity on that small stretch. The chef and owner of Rolf & Daughters is opening a restaurant. Tom Morales, another noted Nashville restaurateur, remains in talks to revitalize the Roxy Theater with a restaurant and music venue. Sterling Sound, a music-production studio from New York City, is moving to Meridian Street. Rochford Realty & Cosntruction Co., of Green Hills, is working on development plans for 1.7 acres of land it controls across the street from the church.

Silber said he will lease space at 901 Meridian St. from its new owners, Link Real Estate, which is run by New York City investors Baruch Singer and Dan Arev. The duo paid nearly double what the 1.4-acre church property last sold for two years ago.

The sellers in the deal were a group led by McClain Towery and Rob Lowe, two local real estate investors and developers. They paid $2.5 million for the 1.4-acre site in 2016. They, working with Rochford, won Metro Council approval for a zoning change to allow a mix of uses for the site. Lowe also is a senior managing director at the Nashville office of real estate brokerage firm Cushman & Wakefield. Silber said he worked on the deal with Lowe and Christine Colley, who is a Cushman & Wakefield broker in New York City.

Silber said his company is investing "a few million dollars" to renovate the church facility. Planning is ongoing, and he hopes for contractors to start their work in the next few months. "It's a pretty big lift," he said. "We're rehabbing the whole space, trying to bring out the best of the building."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Micah Lecher and his Anchor Investments group has officially purchased the former Russell Street Church of Christ building at 901 Russell Street for $1.9 million. The plan is to turn it into a 17 room boutique hotel and event center. Renderings and other info should be available in a month or so, and it is hoped to be open by early 2019. No moniker has been chosen yet. Powell Architecture is doing the redesign for the circa 1905 building.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/13/check-out-the-stained-glass-on-this-church-turned.html

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 2.58.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 2.59.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 3.01.12 PM.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I’m pretty sure the windows and stained glass will be somewhat untouched because of the historic overlay. 

They actually need to be touched. Up close they look like they are going to fall out. I think they will have to “fix” them...which will be good. But, they won’t be able to modify the exterior much.

• Like 2

I didn't read the whole thing b/c I was shaking my head.  But it just seems that MDHA in many cases shows a lot of incompetence and obstruction. Here's what I think is a great example. Of course, things like that happen often when an extra-governmental body gets as much power as MDHA has. 

Anyway, looks like there's a big stall on a $300M TOD project in Donelson. Maybe Don or someone can speak to this... https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2018/07/16/donelson-development-nashville-housing-growth-music-city-star/781124002/

MDHA is the holdup-they are certainly NOT hip!

FYI-Hip Donelson (a 501c non profit) is a very effective and successful advocate for the betterment of our community. Lots of folks like to ridicule the use of the term “hip” but should look at the amount of good that the group has been able to do in its short time at work. Nobody who lives in Donelson thinks we are the coolest part of town, but we DO believe in working together to  make our community better. Every community and neighborhood should do that, eh?

31E062A4-248C-4DD7-91F7-1A41ADCB4713.jpeg

• Like 2