Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

A lot of the concerns being mentioned were addressed at the planning commission meeting back in March of 2017 and the plan passed 6-0. Hopefully @bwithers1 has a better memory than I do and is able to respond on here.  Unfortunately, I can’t find the video of the meeting on YouTube, but I was able to find one comment from a neighbor whose house is up against one of HG Hill’s parcels (the second to last comment). And, if I remember correctly, many different layouts were explored, but this was chosen because it maximizes the potential of the site (allows for additional retail and residential rather than just a grocery store that fronts Gallatin). 

March-9-2017-comments-received-March-38

On 9/15/2018 at 2:49 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

A lot of the concerns being mentioned were addressed at the planning commission meeting back in March of 2017 and the plan passed 6-0. Hopefully @bwithers1 has a better memory than I do and is able to respond on here.  Unfortunately, I can’t find the video of the meeting on YouTube, but I was able to find one comment from a neighbor whose house is up against one of HG Hill’s parcels (the second to last comment). And, if I remember correctly, many different layouts were explored, but this was chosen because it maximizes the potential of the site (allows for additional retail and residential rather than just a grocery store that fronts Gallatin). 

March-9-2017-comments-received-March-38

It is heartening to see that a lot of this homeowner's concerns appear to have been addressed in this design.   Also it is very good that there will be 2 stores on the corners right against the street as well as a good # of residential units.  Great for density.  But I still see it as a complete sell-out of the community to let them have that giant parking lot face Gallatin.  If in the future it's determined we need less sqft for parking (due to improved transit/walkability) I think it'd be easier to repurpose some area behind the store building as opposed to filling in a 'missing tooth' in the frontage.   Also, if you back the store up to the neighborhood it's a big cinder block wall up against the residential area forever.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bwithers1 said:

These are some random thoughts in response to some of the above posts.

What you get with a grocery store building placed against the sidewalk and the parking in the rear is that pedestrians will have to walk all the way around the building to the back to get to the entrance to the building.  

Hey Brett,  thanks for responding.  I know it's difficult trying to keep everyone happy, so your thoughtful responses are much appreciated.   AronG's response pretty much captures my thoughts as far as prioritizing walkability, etc, & i've said my piece, so I won't badger you further on that.  I do agree that the project does contain many improvements, it's a decent step forward even if it does fall short in some areas.  Thanks again for your efforts & look forward to engaging on projects in the future.

• Like 3

http://maps.nashville.gov/MPC/2018Z-106PR-001_Applic.pdf

The owner of the church at 1600 Riverside Drive is requesting a zoning change (from CL, R10, and R6 to MUL-A). The Boedecker foundation (guy who co-founded Crocs) purchased the building in July of 2017, but I do not believe plans have been announced yet. 

This intersection may look completely different in the next few years with this, Snapshot Interactive, the new Korean restaurant and whatever goes in the old service station. I’ve also heard there might be a change coming to the Berkshire Place/Panorama Apartments in the next couple of years. 

Edited by WebberThomas4
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

The owner of the church at 1600 Riverside Drive is requesting a zoning change (from CL, R10, and R6 to MUL-A). The Boedecker foundation (guy who co-founded Crocs) purchased the building in July of 2017, but I do not believe plans have been announced yet. 

This intersection may look completely different in the next few years with this, Snapshot Interactive, the new Korean restaurant and whatever goes in the old service station. I’ve also heard there might be a change coming to the Berkshire Place/Panorama Apartments in the next couple of years.  

Hell yeah, Riverside Village part Deux!

• Like 2

Over in Fantasyland (ie. The East Nashville facebook Page), they’re saying a Trader Joe’s is going into the current Goodwill space near ALDI. Also the Five Points Family Dollar is reported to be closing and being redeveloped. Any solid info out there on these 2 properties?

Edited by DJIII
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Working on this one. Saw it last week.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DJIII said:

Over in Fantasyland (ie. The East Nashville facebook Page), they’re saying a Trader Joe’s is going into the current Goodwill space near ALDI. Also the Five Points Family Dollar is reported to be closing and being redeveloped. Any solid info out there on these 2 properties?

Sad about the Family Dollar.  Will be tough for low income folks to get groceries/necessities.  I always lament how that should be redeveloped but my wife is always quick to point out that downside.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

Sad about the Family Dollar.  Will be tough for low income folks to get groceries/necessities.  I always lament how that should be redeveloped but my wife is always quick to point out that downside.

Yes, but there is a Family Dollar less than a mile away at 600 Shelby and a Dollar General less than a .5 mile away on Gallatin.   Bill Martin’s is also around the corner. 

• Like 2

If you squint that's three properties in 5 points that could be redeveloped. Here's hoping. So much potential over there but I've been amazed at the way this whole cycle has barely touched it so far. There's been a few small things (burger up, the Hunters food court, that airbnb thing next to bongo java), but it's such a ripe area for some apartments and/or more retail, it's kind of mind boggling how much of it is filled with parking lots. Seems like people would really pony up for that location.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AronG said:

If you squint that's three properties in 5 points that could be redeveloped. Here's hoping. So much potential over there but I've been amazed at the way this whole cycle has barely touched it so far. There's been a few small things (burger up, the Hunters food court, that airbnb thing next to bongo java), but it's such a ripe area for some apartments and/or more retail, it's kind of mind boggling how much of it is filled with parking lots. Seems like people would really pony up for that location.

If the locals would let them get a good return on investment. Personally if I had the money for a substantial project I’d look elsewhere, considering the amount of crap that you have to go through to get anything done in EN. I know many of the nimbys have noble purposes but sometimes just daaaaamn. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

If the locals would let them get a good return on investment. Personally if I had the money for a substantial project I’d look elsewhere, considering the amount of crap that you have to go through to get anything done in EN. I know many of the nimbys have noble purposes but sometimes just daaaaamn. 

add on to the fact that most of them have more than likely only lived in that area for 5 or less years...just makes it even more hilarious that they put up such a fight.

30 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

add on to the fact that most of them have more than likely only lived in that area for 5 or less years...just makes it even more hilarious that they put up such a fight.

This has not been my experience. Its typically the newcomers who are generally more supportive of changes in the built environment while the longer term residents generally tend to oppose those changes.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

This has not been my experience. Its typically the newcomers who are generally more supportive of changes in the built environment while the longer term residents generally tend to oppose those changes.

Hadn't thought about it but this is totally true. Which to me is optimistic, because it means at some point the tide will turn. Problem is those guys disproportionately dominate the feedback mechanisms for these things. I can't wait til I'm old and my kids are grown and I can show up to more meetings and be crotchity.

• Like 1