Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

20 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

I’m sure a lot of the discussion was about saving Fond Object. Was that addressed? 

Oh yes. Fond Object was mentioned about 100 times. I wouldn’t say it was ‘addressed’ per se, Moreso referenced as a proxy for general anti-development sentiment. I don’t think there were any reps present for fond Object itself. It was mentioned that they could potentially move into the building that will replace Bailey & Cato but that seemed more like whimpy lip service by the developer. Basically, if the development goes ahead, Fond Object is going away. 

A question I would ask is how hard is the business Fond Object fighting on their own behalf? The community is absolutely behind them, and you have local musicians tweeting to ‘Save it’ but I haven’t heard from the business about wanting to negotiate a lease or making a compromise to try and stay in the area.  Seems to me they’re pretty content to move on.

• Like 1

Thanks for representing at this meeting @DJIII. I had a conflict or I would've been there.

This is why it's head-scratching that we have debates on this board like maybe we're over-branding people as NIMBYs or we're caving to developers who are going to bulldoze all our beloved craftsmen bungalows. This is a no-brainer proposal to build a few dozen residential units in a popular neighborhood with plenty of street capacity, minimal destruction of existing buildings, *and the by-right zoning is already there*. But it's taking years, driving up the cost and has resulted in halving the size of the development. No wonder developers would rather focus on converting existing houses into palaces.

I love Fond Object and will be sorry to see it go. But an evolving city and neighborhood is part of the cultural buzz and the creative destruction that leads to good music. There are still plenty of great venues in EN to discover musicians. Instead of trying to preserve every awesome spot in amber, a legitimate thing to worry about is the fact that up-and-coming musicians can't find a place within miles of Riverside Village to live with a reasonable rent. That wasn't true 10 years ago, it's only going to get worse, and it's going to have a lot more of an effect on the music scene than whether a few more shows have to go to Vinyl Tap (or the new Grimeys!).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A  4 story,  128 room Hyatt House is moving forward for Century City in Donelson. It will be built on 9.1 acres at 14 Century Blvd. directly north of Embassy Suites. 

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21025278/start-looms-on-donelson-hyatt-house

Hyatt House Donelson, Oct 2, 2018, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the Hyatt House site in red at the center of the frame:

Hyatt House Donelson, Oct 2, 2018, site map.png

• Like 2

Progress on the Hunters Station restaurant campus that will feature 9 different eateries. White paint on the brick walls and gray cladding trim now being applied.

Looking north from intersection of South 10th Street and Main St:

Hunters Station, Sept 21, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking NE from Main St., 1/2 block east of Finn St:

Hunters Station, Sept 21, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking NE along Main St.,  near intersection with Finn St:

Hunters Station, Sept 21, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Quite frankly, I almost don't even care what it looks like... it's just so refreshing to see a small project in Nashville properly built up to and open up to the street!

Good point, @BnaBreaker.  I hope this concept is successful so we can use it as a good example.

• Like 2

Six short term rental AirBnB homes coming to SE corner of Riverside Drive and Rosebank Ave (999 Riverside Drive).  

Nashville-based companies Paragon Group and New Frontier Tiny Homes are undertaking the project, which eventually could include additional small structures. The first six microhomes will range in size from 250 square feet to 350 square feet.

The site is currently and empty lot.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21025937/east-side-tiny-homes-to-offer-shortterm-rentals

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.31.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.36.55 AM.png

• Like 4

I appreciate your putting the maps (from Smeagolsfree's Excellent Project Map) along with many of your updates.  Or much of the time I wouldn't have an idea where they are. Plus, I often learn something about the area, such as what appears to be a "missing chunk" out of Greenwood Avenue. I'm sure there's  a story behind that phenomenon. 

• Like 4

Something I spotted on Stockell St. in McFerrin Park. I’m not quite sure what is going on here. The house has been totally demo’ed, foundation and all, minus one exterior wall. I’ve seen this before in other cities, but never in Nashville. I’m not up-and-up on building permits, but I’m guessing this qualifies as a “remodel” instead of “new construction”. I’m not sure what the advantage would be, in metro, to going that route. Anyone have any insight?

B2AD16A9-788C-4148-830D-8A32406B9B3E.thumb.jpeg.970386297026e1ddb599bf07dd0a22b0.jpeg8244BD72-C427-4438-8B38-C1704F345765.thumb.jpeg.46919354c714c3a37430a318c84a59ee.jpeg

• Confused 3

They are trying to skirt one of the zoning ordinances by leaving a wall standing and calling it a rehab to avoid something like sidewalks or a conservation overlay.

Bret may know for sure as he is a council person in Lockland Springs and this may happen I his district more than others with the historic overlay there.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 12:27 PM, FatherLand said:

Alot of cleanup is happening today at the 5 Points Family Dollar...parking lot trash has been cleaned up, 2 dumpsters are onsite and a crew is cleaning out interior. 2 large for lease signs are up. Appears they're moving quickly to get this prime spot in new hands. Are there any hints/rumours of who could go here, or what kind of place would make sense here? 

Also a fair amount of exterior cleaning has been done at 1700 Fatherland, looks like they're making a renewed push to sell/develop. Windows have been covered up, growth removed, basic lawn maintenance has been increased. http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15553213/1700-Fatherland-St-Nashville-TN/

Man I hope they're able to get something going with the abandoned church at 1700 fatherland. I looked at the property website and it apparently sold for $290K last time, which is insane considering that the houses next door are going for $700K. I heard the cost to bring it up to code is the problem, along with with having to deal with anti-development pushback. In the meantime we have a big rotting building down the street. My kids do like to play on the huge stairwell though.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:40 AM, markhollin said:

Six short term rental AirBnB homes coming to SE corner of Riverside Drive and Rosebank Ave (999 Riverside Drive).  
Nashville-based companies Paragon Group and New Frontier Tiny Homes are undertaking the project, which eventually could include additional small structures. The first six microhomes will range in size from 250 square feet to 350 square feet.
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.31.13 AM.png

Wow, it's going to be funny if this business model works and empty lots around EN start filling up with fancy trailer homes. Hard to imagine it's a good urban-friendly typology, but I guess it's better than empty space.

• Like 2

1125 Chester Ave "Woodland Grove" cluster of 16 homes.  Parking lot poured with what looks like a permeable surface.   Between the lot and the water retention gardens this project looks like a display of the new anti-flood standards at work.  Engineer at the Riverside development meeting referenced that there are new stringent flood mitigation standards as of 2017.

1906299032_woodlandgrove-sign.jpg.03530337d69bceb8363d146aa5f0f057.jpg

Woodland Grove - wide.jpg

Woodland Grove - parking lot.jpg

Edited by DJIII
  • Like 4

On 10/8/2018 at 1:17 PM, AronG said:

Wow, it's going to be funny if this business model works and empty lots around EN start filling up with fancy trailer homes. Hard to imagine it's a good urban-friendly typology, but I guess it's better than empty space.

Judging from general neighborhood sentiment (vigorous anti-STR at the Riverside meeting), and the recent Metro law restricting the non owner occupied STR's, it seems that STR's will be sort of 'corralled' into little clusters on non-residential zones from here on out.  I see it as a natural progression of things.  There is demand from tourists, and there is push-back from locals.  The result is projects like this tiny-house cluster and the Key Motel.  The Bachelorettes won't even notice the difference.