Davidson East: East Nashville, Inglewood, Madison, Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, timmay143 said:

Funny thing...call me stupid...but I never called Nolensville Pike by that name.  For some reason, I always called it Nolensville Road...or just Nolensville...and I lived there for about a quarter century!  I think I do the same with Franklin Pike.  Always called it Franklin Rd.  

Franklin Road is what Franklin Pike becomes in Brentwood, the it becomes Columbia Pike once you get to Franklin :) 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 9:06 AM, Chris Lee said:

It's Gallatin Avenue between Main Street and Cahal, then Gallatin Pike up to Briley Pky, then Gallatin Pike South (31E) into Madison, then Gallatin Pike North once you pass Old Hickory, then W Main Street when you hit Hendersonville.

Oh, almost forgot: It becomes Nashville Pike when you get to Gallatin. Because of course it does. (Born and raised in the City of Gallatin BTW)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, timmay143 said:

Funny thing...call me stupid...but I never called Nolensville Pike by that name.  For some reason, I always called it Nolensville Road...or just Nolensville...and I lived there for about a quarter century!  I think I do the same with Franklin Pike.  Always called it Franklin Rd.  

Likewise, I've always heard it called Murfreesboro Road, not Murfreesboro Pike.  And Franklin Road, not Franklin Pike.  TDOT seems to agree.

image.png.b1c08b2713f96f94596430a94b6dc515.png

image.png.bb700582e2ff4fd0062047a8de2ad236.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Likewise, I've always heard it called Murfreesboro Road, not Murfreesboro Pike.  And Franklin Road, not Franklin Pike.  TDOT seems to agree.

Google Maps has them both as pikes. My sense of it without doing research is that all the major spokes were originally (19th century) known as pikes, but that's an unusual designation for a road in this country – or anywhere – and over time use of "pike" has eroded somewhat in favor of the more common designation "road". Sadly I expect that trend to continue with so many newcomers to Nashville. Save the pikes!

Short for "turnpike"... which was a private toll road which used a turnstile with a stick (or pike) back in the early days of Nashville (and elsewhere). I assume the official names in many areas of the county were not changed after they became public roads. Or people there just never stopped calling them "pikes". Here in Chattanooga, I can't think of any street or highway that is still (or ever) called "pike".  The one I think epitomizes a unique Nashville name is Granny White Pike. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Here in Chattanooga, I can't think of any street or highway that is still (or ever) called "pike". 

Hixon Pike in the north of town and I think on the other side of Lookout Mountain there is Wauhatchie Pike. I think State Route 58 used to be Harrison Pike. In Soddy-Daisy (not Chattanooga I know) there is Dayton Pike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

We (TDOT) did a lot of research on those roads to determine where Avenues ended and Pikes began. All kinds of city records were examined in order to get it right.

• Like 3

That raises a question: Who's the ultimate authority on street names, i.e., whether the streets are really Murfeesboro Road/Murfreesboro Pike or Franklin Road/Franklin Pike? I just checked the Nashville Planning Department's property map and they are "pike" there too. If the names are actually "pike", I wonder why TDoT went with "road".

Also, anyone know whether a map of the pike system around Nashville at its height exists? It would be fascinating to know where all the old tollbooths were. There's a sign marking the one that used to stand at the southern edge of Hillsboro Village, and somewhere I've read about the one that used to guard the city end of Charlotte Pike (still standing well into the 20th century, if memory serves), but those are the only ones I know about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billgregg55 said:

That raises a question: Who's the ultimate authority on street names, i.e., whether the streets are really Murfeesboro Road/Murfreesboro Pike or Franklin Road/Franklin Pike? I just checked the Nashville Planning Department's property map and they are "pike" there too. If the names are actually "pike", I wonder why TDoT went with "road".

As @PHofKS noted TDOT puts considerable effort into making sure they have the correct road name, even picking up honorary designations where applicable (e.g., "His Excellency Pruneford J. Tracy, Esq. Memorial Highway"). TDOT maintains an information management system on the state's roadways (local routes included) that is very detailed, logging road name changes down to within a few feet of where they occur. In my experience it's generally more clear and accurate than local info, especially in rural areas where street name signing is inconsistent and the locals are just as likely to refer to routes even in addresses as just "the bypass", etc.

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/long-range-planning-home/longrange-road-inventory.html

As to who is the authority over a road's name, it's generally the local government or state legislature, assuming either has anything on the books regarding the name of a specific roadway. Metro has the Official Street and Alley Acceptance and Maintenance Map for The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County which is changed by ordinance of the Metro Council.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I love the name "pike".  It's unique and harkens to the past...which is cool.  If every city had "pikes"...if wouldn't be that big of a deal...but it's pretty "Nashville".

...and Knoxville, where no matter where you're going, at some point you'll be on Kingston Pike.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Hixon Pike in the north of town and I think on the other side of Lookout Mountain there is Wauhatchie Pike. I think State Route 58 used to be Harrison Pike. In Soddy-Daisy (not Chattanooga I know) there is Dayton Pike.

I have heard of Dayton Pike. But not the others. I'm not native to Chatty though. 

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I love the name "pike".  It's unique and harkens to the past...which is cool.  If every city had "pikes"...if wouldn't be that big of a deal...but it's pretty "Nashville".

We should get TDOT to change the word "road" on those signs to "pikes."

When you get down into the cities founded by the French, you'll see quite a few boulevards.  I've always loved the name and the concept but, of course, I'm biased having grown up in Mobile (founded by the French in 1702).  I've also noticed boulevards in the Tampa/St. Pete area.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Wow. Ive known this day has been coming. What in the world will end up here I wonder. 

• Like 1

Anyone know if it’s going to be a sprouts or Publix on Greenwood? Or anticipated timing?  Looks like the zoning change was approved yesterday with updated drawings. One of the drawings says there is a “Compactor by Publix” - just found it interesting that it may now be a Publix 

https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Ordinances/Details/7fe23b43-b0ae-4370-9eef-e31f52191e8b/2015-2019/BL2017-682.aspx

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eastsidedawg said:

Anyone know if it’s going to be a sprouts or Publix on Greenwood? Or anticipated timing?  Looks like the zoning change was approved yesterday with updated drawings. One of the drawings says there is a “Compactor by Publix” - just found it interesting that it may now be a Publix 

https://www.nashville.gov/Metro-Clerk/Legislative/Ordinances/Details/7fe23b43-b0ae-4370-9eef-e31f52191e8b/2015-2019/BL2017-682.aspx

According to a neighbor who met with the developer, Sprouts is out. There is supposedly another store lined up, but he wouldn't say which.

How in the world were you able to read that, "Compactor by Publix"?? You have amazing eyesight. Here's the 3rd PDF, 3rd page, veerrry bottom: Philadelphia something, PT XXX, Compactor by Publix

On 7/18/2018 at 1:28 PM, bwithers1 said:

Yes, about half a dozen of the original Cayce housing quadplexes along the middle portion of S 8th are being demolished to make way for the new Explore Community School K-8 school campus.  8th will terminate at the campus.  S 8th Court, which is the portion that currently is a one-way around the horse-shoe heading southwest and dead-ending into S 7th Street will actually become a one-way going in the opposite direction (north/northeast) and leading into the school parking lot.  Then traffic will head out through the Martha O'Bryan Center lot onto S 7th.  These street configurations will be temporary until the health clinic on 8th is demolished and relocated and the new street that crosses along what is to be the central park frontage connects from 9th/Sevier over to S 5th at some point.  The lower portion of the remaining S 8th Court "horse-shoe) will eventually be replaced by Dew Street, which will be connected from its current terminus in a culdesac over to S 6th Street.  A portion of that terminus of Dew Street at S 6th will be constructed when the new Boscobel II apartments buildings and townhouses are constructed soon at the northeast corner of S 6th/Lenore.  A lot of construction activity is taking place or starting soon in Cayce!

12 minutes ago, Nashville Cliff said:

According to a neighbor who met with the developer, Sprouts is out. There is supposedly another store lined up, but he wouldn't say which.

image.png.428896f40655ad6972d2187c2bcce507.png

• Like 2